• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Greyhawk Confirmed. Tell Me Why.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Because people are trying to pull a "I'm not like the other girls..." with Greyhawk. It's not that different from core D&D in any edition. And the few tonal changes are good to show how to flavor the core rules without mass banning player options or writing a million dollar Kickstarter.
Shouldn't the introductory setting be like the "other girls"?

Chaosmancer

Legend
Okay get into my mind space.

In the Greyhawk + Thread, the Greyhawk constantly state how Greyhawk is different from the base of 5e.

So if Greyhawk is so different from modern 5e, why should we use it to teach modern 5e?

Someone explain that logic to me

Most of those people are talking about why they loved it in 2e. Of course they are going to focus on how it was so different, They haven't seen 5e Greyhawk yet.

And, again, the chapter in question IS NOT teaching modern 5e. It is teaching WORLD BUILDING. That is a completely different subject.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Yeah, but I doubt they will touch on much of that.

I agree. But a lot of the early concern was that using Greyhawk meant that DMs would have to memorize all of the old content. I believe it was an overblown fear, because it makes no sense and is not needed, but it IS what some people seem to be afraid of happening.

Remathilis

Legend
And that's why I'm confused.
Because people want to separate Greyhawk from Forgotten Realms, often because they find Faerun is the popular sellout setting that has everything. So to make Greyhawk something other than the older forgotten child, they have taken two small elements of the setting (Gary's love of S&S and the fact it was developed early into D&D life) and spun that into its personality. People want to emphasize that it's the old setting with old sensibilities rooted in the traditions of AD&D to contrast it with a gonzo, anything goes Forgotten Realms. Both are mischaractetizations of the settings but it's easier than saying Faerun got popular due to TSR pushing it with various media while Greyhawk was de-emphasized after Gary's ouster.

The difference between Faerun and Oerth is small. At heart, they are both kitchen sink settings that don't deviate from the D&D expectations. The difference is scope and small amounts of lore and tone.

Remathilis

Legend
Greyhawk has less lore and is more malleable. Forgotten Realms is a rich setting that doesn't work when yo utry to make it default because is too in-depth designed.
I feel Faerun has gotten a bad rap about that from the various novels and RSEs, but these days it's settled into a much easier place to develop your own way. The joy of losing the meta plot is the DM has far more freedom.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Because people want to separate Greyhawk from Forgotten Realms, often because they find Faerun is the popular sellout setting that has everything. So to make Greyhawk something other than the older forgotten child, they have taken two small elements of the setting (Gary's love of S&S and the fact it was developed early into D&D life) and spun that into its personality. People want to emphasize that it's the old setting with old sensibilities rooted in the traditions of AD&D to contrast it with a gonzo, anything goes Forgotten Realms. Both are mischaractetizations of the settings but it's easier than saying Faerun got popular due to TSR pushing it with various media while Greyhawk was de-emphasized after Gary's ouster.

The difference between Faerun and Oerth is small. At heart, they are both kitchen sink settings that don't deviate from the D&D expectations. The difference is scope and small amounts of lore and tone.
to be fair, 2e took those elements of Greyhawk and spun them into a personality for the setting back in the 90s.

I feel Faerun has gotten a bad rap about that from the various novels and RSEs, but these days it's settled into a much easier place to develop your own way. The joy of losing the meta plot is the DM has far more freedom.
I do not mean it in negative sense, I think running in Faerun is actually better when you can embrace the lore. I don't care for metaplots, but I like lore to support my plots.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads