D&D General Greyhawk setting material

Parmandur

Book-Friend
@David Howery using the Pythagorean theorem, I've determined that the Village of Hommet is about 198 Leagues from the Lost Caverns of Tsjocanth, or 20 hexes. A fair trek, but the environment is mostly peaceful and Lawful in nature, but with enough to make a good sandbox.

@David Howery using the Pythagorean theorem, I've determined that the Village of Hommet is about 198 Leagues from the Lost Caverns of Tsjocanth, or 20 hexes. A fair trek, but the environment is mostly peaceful and Lawful in nature, but with enough to make a good sandbox.
Doable, but you could probably do LCT/LTT all on it's own... those two dungeons are set within a big range of mountains and hills where you could put a lot of other encounter areas, all leading to the grand finale of facing Tharizdun (maybe)… just have to tie it all together. TEE isn't quite set up so well... there's the moathouse, the temple itself, and not much else around it...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Doable, but you could probably do LCT/LTT all on it's own... those two dungeons are set within a big range of mountains and hills where you could put a lot of other encounter areas, all leading to the grand finale of facing Tharizdun (maybe)… just have to tie it all together. TEE isn't quite set up so well... there's the moathouse, the temple itself, and not much else around it...

But then you are back to square one, needing lower level intro material, to get to Level 8, which ToEE fits perfectly. Realistically, both would be essentially seperate mini-campaigns, but they fit well, and they will want to reprint both sets eventually anyways, as they are Top 30 of all time modules per Dungeon.

But then you are back to square one, needing lower level intro material, to get to Level 8, which ToEE fits perfectly. Realistically, both would be essentially seperate mini-campaigns, but they fit well, and they will want to reprint both sets eventually anyways, as they are Top 30 of all time modules per Dungeon.
I was thinking people would like some new material along with the classic LCT/FTT modules. Still, your way is definitely feasible. Mostly, you'd just have to come up with some ways to tie the TEE and LCT into Tharizdun and make FTT into the finale..

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I was thinking people would like some new material along with the classic LCT/FTT modules. Still, your way is definitely feasible. Mostly, you'd just have to come up with some ways to tie the TEE and LCT into Tharizdun and make FTT into the finale..

In the WotC Elemental Evil stuff from 3E, Tharizdun is the Elder Elemental Eye and the real cause of the shenanigans to begin with, and Iggwilv is the mother of Iuz who is also tied into the Temple itself. While I think they would use the older modules, using the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil from material regarding Tharizdun would make sense.

In the WotC Elemental Evil stuff from 3E, Tharizdun is the Elder Elemental Eye and the real cause of the shenanigans to begin with, and Iggwilv is the mother of Iuz who is also tied into the Temple itself. While I think they would use the older modules, using the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil from material regarding Tharizdun would make sense.
ah. I haven't read anything from the 3E days, other than the first core rulebooks; wasn't all that impressed with it, 3E was pretty much the end of my D&D days (along with getting moved around a lot by my last job and not being able to stay in a group)…

Why not both? The faux-Medieval stuff makes the weird that much weirder when it goes down.

This is absolutely what I had running around in my unconscious without knowing it. There is a creative power in having a baseline that doesn't have dragonborn (just using that as a poster-child for new school fantasy species explosion), and then having whatever weird stuff show up occasionally. Dragonborn (or draconian) crash landing from a space ship (or Spelljamming vessel)? Cool! Every new race having a population on Oerth just because it exists as a player option in 5e? Boo, hiss, boo!

If I had my druthers (what are druthers, and why would I want them?) every setting would be rebooted to its original recipe for 5e, and then they'd give advice for advancing the timeline in a variety of ways (including for each edition's version), including references to other books from older editions that are most useful for those eras. The official adventures would also follow this paradigm. So all Forgotten Realm adventures are based on the Grey Box, and then have a page or two in an appendix for setting them post Time of Troubles, post Spellplague, post Second Sundering. Sure, they could make a bigger appendix for setting them in the latest published era. But really, this would be nothing but win for sales. They seem to imply that they are going for timeline agnosticism in the FR adventures, but then they bake-in the 5e elements in such a way that it's a major hassle to take them out. I'm never going to buy most of the Forgotten Realms adventures in 5e because of this, whereas I would likely buy several of them if I didn't have to try to revert the timeline a couple hundred years to make them useful in game.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
ah. I haven't read anything from the 3E days, other than the first core rulebooks; wasn't all that impressed with it, 3E was pretty much the end of my D&D days (along with getting moved around a lot by my last job and not being able to stay in a group)…

Heh, I started playing around the time Return to the Temple if Elemental Evil came out. Pretty sure Monte Cook made Tharizdun the real power behind the elemental cults because of the implied links with the original with WG4.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This is absolutely what I had running around in my unconscious without knowing it. There is a creative power in having a baseline that doesn't have dragonborn (just using that as a poster-child for new school fantasy species explosion), and then having whatever weird stuff show up occasionally. Dragonborn (or draconian) crash landing from a space ship (or Spelljamming vessel)? Cool! Every new race having a population on Oerth just because it exists as a player option in 5e? Boo, hiss, boo!

If I had my druthers (what are druthers, and why would I want them?) every setting would be rebooted to its original recipe for 5e, and then they'd give advice for advancing the timeline in a variety of ways (including for each edition's version), including references to other books from older editions that are most useful for those eras. The official adventures would also follow this paradigm. So all Forgotten Realm adventures are based on the Grey Box, and then have a page or two in an appendix for setting them post Time of Troubles, post Spellplague, post Second Sundering. Sure, they could make a bigger appendix for setting them in the latest published era. But really, this would be nothing but win for sales. They seem to imply that they are going for timeline agnosticism in the FR adventures, but then they bake-in the 5e elements in such a way that it's a major hassle to take them out. I'm never going to buy most of the Forgotten Realms adventures in 5e because of this, whereas I would likely buy several of them if I didn't have to try to revert the timeline a couple hundred years to make them useful in game.

For the big Adventure books, changing them to work with the 3E Campaign Setting is pretty trivial.

Based on Saltmarsh, they'll have room for Tieflings and Dragonborn and other 5E-isms (random crew charts, for example), but more of a old timey expected set-up

Heh, I started playing around the time Return to the Temple if Elemental Evil came out. Pretty sure Monte Cook made Tharizdun the real power behind the elemental cults because of the implied links with the original with WG4.
which makes you wonder how the finale of this proposed module would go. Taking on an out and out god seems a bit much. Maybe the PCs ultimately have to prevent his return by his cultists, who have summoned up Something Big And Bad to bring it about...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases