D&D General Greyhawk setting material

Well GoS worked on me and got me interested in Greyhawk. I'd say the test was successful from my point of view. I didnt feel like the addition of nonhuman races was too obligatory. They added one Tiefling in the town and her profession of "rare item" dealer fit rather well IMO.

Speaking of rare items. Is Greyhawk magic item heavy? I like that 5e toned this down a lot. I also like to award magic items and the rare occasions seem to make the item more special to my players. The list of magic items in GoS is rather slim and I like that. Just curious how it was setup when the setting was "the setting".

But, it's 2019 now. We've had thirty plus years of stuff adding to Greyhawk. I'd rather not eject all that development.
If I got back into gaming and was DM of a WoG game, I still wouldn't want to include the changes from the Greyhawk Wars. I really didn't care for all the stuff that went on in that one.... Iuz's space filling empire, destroying several neat cultures 'because', the Scarlet Brotherhood being out in the open, etc. I'd like to think you could add some new/fanzine stuff without such drastic changes...

Zardnaar

Legend
Go back in time and tell Gygax that.

It's his world. I don't think he would add a lot if modernism's.

He would bend the genre but I don't see him adding a lot of player option races.

As I said if GH is anything goes why play it over FR?

What's the hook is the Greyhawk pantheon and kingdoms that compelling?
Well GoS worked on me and got me interested in Greyhawk. I'd say the test was successful from my point of view. I didnt feel like the addition of nonhuman races was too obligatory. They added one Tiefling in the town and her profession of "rare item" dealer fit rather well IMO.

Speaking of rare items. Is Greyhawk magic item heavy? I like that 5e toned this down a lot. I also like to award magic items and the rare occasions seem to make the item more special to my players. The list of magic items in GoS is rather slim and I like that. Just curious how it was setup when the setting was "the setting".

Generous by modern standards but you couldn't buy them, but you could sell them.

That might be more OSR than Greyhawk in particular.

Coroc

Hero
greyhawk the blue 1983 box and material around it is very magic item heavy. I also do not get how people always say ghk is sword and sorcery whereas fr is high fantasy.
in the 1e/2e. Material you find things like:
automatons (several types)
permanent wall of fire as a heating
and so on.
also concerning magic
FR got elminster and khelben and the harpells.

but ghk got the circle of eight Tasha quaal philidor etc. So not a bit less epic wizardry.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
It's his world. I don't think he would add a lot if modernism's.

That's your impression, not a fact.

He would bend the genre but I don't see him adding a lot of player option races.

Tell that to 1e's Unearthed Arcana.

As I said if GH is anything goes why play it over FR?

What's the hook is the Greyhawk pantheon and kingdoms that compelling?

If not have a few PC races is the only thing that makes GH different from the FR to you, then maybe you're missing a lot of the goodness that's in the setting.

Zardnaar

Legend
That's your impression, not a fact.

Tell that to 1e's Unearthed Arcana.

If not have a few PC races is the only thing that makes GH different from the FR to you, then maybe you're missing a lot of the goodness that's in the setting.

By 1985 Gary had sod all to do with D&D.

TSR slapped his name on ToEE, OA and UA he wrote very little. UA was culled from Dragon articles.

Things with Gary's name on it sells better than no Gary. IIRC Cook wrote most if OA, Mentzer ToEE.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
By 1985 Gary had sod all to do with D&D.

TSR slapped his name on ToEE, OA and UA he wrote very little. UA was culled from Dragon articles.

Things with Gary's name on it sells better than no Gary. IIRC Cook wrote most if OA, Mentzer ToEE.
UA was mostly Gary's work.

Zardnaar

Legend
Quality is irrelevant to the argument, that's just goalpost moving.

Seems to be fairly good evidence of most not being better. I prefer running GH more minimalistic and humanocentric.

It's like a good chocolate cake vs a gateau. Gateaus not such a great idea when you vomit it up though, death by chocolate.

Main point is it's a bit much. Beats me why people want the same stuff in FR, GH, Darksun, Nerath etc.

Remove ads