Grim Hyborian Tales: Children of Ctaroc

ragboy

Explorer
In the year of our Great King's birth, the lands seethed with turmoil and black sorcery. Great noble families rose and fell before any could know their names. Some chose to stay and fight for their birthclaims, but others dispersed, either lone survivors or those driven by other purposes. Arturio the Poitainian sellsword of the Vanir and friend of the Western Savages and the Southern Devil-men, was the latter. The steel of his boots was dusted with Vanaheim's ice, the sands of Shem, and the moss of darker places. Ever by his side was Ongwi, a Pict by birth, but destined to tramp the world and cover the eastern lands with his shadow. And with them walked the Kushite l'aarani, Mananga, a warrior so fierce and hated that his own people drove him from their jungles.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
The bitterly cold wind shrieking off the endless miles of glacier carried a swirling flurry of ice dust. It cut through Arturio's heavily padded mail, though the short, shaggy Vanir pony between his legs plodded on, heedless. Beside him, Ongwi, the Pict, loped carelessly, his shiny black bow clasped in a thickly bound hand.

"Our employers outdistance us," the Pict grunted through his furs, the urge to run off the cold strong in his bones.

"Bah," Arturio scoffed, his voice ringing in his ice-caked helm. "This mount is no better than a Tauran mule. Remind me why we took up with the Vanir."

"Their gold spends," the Pict returned. "And Aesir women are warm."

A shout went up carried to them on the brutal wind. Ongwi could barely make out the words. Through the curtain of ice, he made out their Umiank guide heading their way. The squat dark man stopped within a few paces of them, his eyes behind the thin bone goggles the only part of him visible under thick sealskin. He spat a stream words in his language, half of which Ongwi understood while the other half sounded like a respitory problem.

"They found something," he growled. "I think."

The Poitanian raked the sides of his mount, but only managed to get the beast into an uncomfortable trot, while the Pict ran on ahead with the guide. As the curtain of ice parted, they could see their Vanir 'clan' clustered around something. The score of northmen resembled bears, their red hair whipping and flapping like bloody banners. In their midst stood Mananga, the massive Kushite warrior, his steady dark-eyed gaze meeting those of his companions as they approached. A thick tiger-skin robe covered the southern savage from head to knees, while heavy fur boots were bound to his lower legs and feet.

The largest of the Vanir, Arnvahr, approached Arturio.

"We found an urn," he said in flawless Aquilonian. "Buried many years, it seems. And the seal-eater found a dagger and a recent camp off over there. The Blood Ravens are near; he's seen them holed up in a rift not a league north. By Ymir's frozen balls, we'll have them this day. I'll have you and those cannibals with my brother's men."

He gestured and Arturio could see a line of similarly sullen ponies trotting out of the ice storm; ten more northmen to bolster their ranks. Behind them to the northeast, a solid stone mountain rose above the haze, it seemingly untouched by snow and ice.

Last edited:

Old One

First Post
Fenris said:
OOC: Yeah like we're supposed to folllow that?

Excellent Intro Ragboy!

OOC: What he said...I am psyched for this! I will be on the road most of the day, but will check back tonight.

~ OO

ragboy

Explorer
OoC: Thanks! It's an open scene for you guys to get into character. I really hate the 'you meet in the tavern' kinda beginnings where everyone recounts their stats in prose...;)

ragboy

Explorer
Fenris said:
OOC Though I may not be good at personal interactions, I have the agility of an Olympic fencer, oh wait ;)

OOC: Sorry...I meant that comment about the generic 'in the tavern' opening scene, than what you do with this particular opening scene. I just like to start as close to (or in the middle of) the action with the opening scene.

Fenris

Adventurer
ragboy said:
OOC: Sorry...I meant that comment about the generic 'in the tavern' opening scene, than what you do with this particular opening scene. I just like to start as close to (or in the middle of) the action with the opening scene.

OOC: No, I was "recounting my stats in prose" and trying to be funny. Emphasis on trying. I'll post a bit later diving straight in.

Old One

First Post
[OOC: One quick question...are we trying to kill the Blood Ravens or link up with them?]

Artutio pulled his helm off - careful not to drop hit it from his clumsy seal-mitted hands - and pulled ineffectually at his frost-rimed beard. He glanced down at the shaggy withers of his "mount" and cursed for the tenth time since dawn.

"Gods, if I have to charge into combat, this over-sized dog will be useless."

He thought back to the battle of Zharda...when Farvel was between his knees. The charge of the reserve division had swept aside the Zingaran light horse screening the Rebel's left flank and knifed through the enemy van, slicing it in twain. He had cut down enemy soldiers with his greatsword until he grew too weary to swing the blade. Now that was a battle...and a proper mount for a knight of Poitain. That seemed like a lifetime ago, now...although scarcely three years had passed.

He glanced at Ongwi. Even in his winter furs, the Pict looked like a hunting wolf - lean and hungry. Not only was the woodsman a proven warrior...he was a good companion as well. Whatever lay ahead, Arturio knew he could count on Ongwi...to the end of the frozen hells of the Vanir and back.

His eyes swiveled to Mananga. The huge Kushite looked more out of place here than a Nemedian fop at a Stygian dinner party. His ebony skin, even swathed in furs, stood in stark contrast to the snow and ice. Mananga was an enigma. While the Vanir joked about Ongwi being a cannibal, Arturio was fairly certain the Kushite actually was one! Still, the black warrior's speed, agility and battle prowess were valuable assets...whatever his culinary habits might be.

He caught the Pict's eye, grinned and clapped his helm back into place. Hearty laughter echoed from behind the faceguard.

~ OO

Last edited:

ragboy

Explorer
OOC: You're here to kill them. Sorry! Thought that was clear. That's their clan name. They're Aesir...

Last edited:

Old One

First Post
ragboy said:
OOC: You're hear to kill them. Sorry! Thought that was clear. That's their clan name. They're Aesir...

[OOC: Thanks...just wanted to make sure ;)!]

Arturio checked his war-harness, applying liberal amounts of Kothic weapon oil to ensure that nothing would stick in the scabbard. A little tickle in his belly told him that the snows of the frozen northlands would drink blood before the sun set.

~ OO

Remove ads