Gritty gone?

Zulgyan

First Post
Cyronax said:
And the players revolt, as they always do when the game is made too lethal.

Too bad. Good idea.

Edit: Dispel criticism. I meant that i liked the idea, but players wouldn't allow it to be implemented.

Me and my friends would totally play in a game like that.

We also like it gritty like the OP.

Pale Jackal

First Post
I certainly agree with the notion that setting is an important part of gritty... as can be exemplified by the fact I love "gritty" but I think PCs should die rarely, and if they do, it should be in a plot significant manner.

Another example of "gritty": it's when your PCs run from a [big] mob of guards and townsfolk, as opposed to fireballing them (or cutting them down... heh, I really like the Kobold Skirmishers mob ability.)

Last edited:

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
brehobit said:
OK,
So I've largely run "gritty" games. And while 3.x wasn't the best for that type of game, it could be made to work, mainly by running lower-level games. I'm thinking 4e won't work for this at all. Low-level play isn't "that" low-level, lots of blasting, etc. Makes me sad.

That said, 4e looks like a great game. Just not the type of role-playing I generally prefer. I've got the first 3 books on pre-order and look forward to reading them and playing some. But I very much doubt it will be my game of choice....

Mark

Well, consider this: wizards now need to be level 16 to cast fly. If you run a "heroic" tier 4e game, you'll never have to worry about armies being nuked from orbit. Same with a lot of other spells, it would seem: no resurrection at heroic tier (except by DM fiat), no long-range teleportation, etc.

Personally, I don't think any of the martial powers we've seen are really "over the top." A fighter can shield-bash his enemies out of the way, a rogue can twist his knife so they bleed out, and a ranger can do a quick retreat-riposte thing. The most "egregious" martial power seems to be the ranger Split the Tree ability, which is basically Multishot.

If you want to make things "gritty," I'd say come up with some new flavor for the Eladrin teleport (or just plain replace it) and you're golden.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
One thing I am toying with Eladrin teleport is since you are travelling through the Feywild, what if the Feywild is more dangerous you have no clue what you may find yourself facing when you enter the Feywild.

Doug McCrae

Legend
Fallen Seraph said:
"the thaumaturge (wizard) let loose a wave of energy, this invisible wave rippled the world around it like a mirage, everything it touched along its path burst into blue flames before turning to ash. As it reached the orc, the orc yelled out as its skin slowly peeled back and burst into blue flame before the body crumpled to ash."
Grim, but not gritty.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Yeah but in a world where spells are like that, you have to have serious grit to go adventuring.

The fact that the world is that hostile, and the things in that deadly and mean, and still players go out adventuring creates a gritty atmosphere in my eyes.

Pale Jackal

First Post
Fallen Seraph said:
One thing I am toying with Eladrin teleport is since you are travelling through the Feywild, what if the Feywild is more dangerous you have no clue what you may find yourself facing when you enter the Feywild.

I like this... reminds me of the Eldar Warp Spiders from WH40K (only played the computer game, but loved the crazy flavor of the universe.)

Cyronax

Explorer
Zulgyan said:
Me and my friends would totally play in a game like that.

We also like it gritty like the OP.

I wish I had players like that.

Mine would revolt if I didn't follow within 10-30% of the 3.5 wealth guidelines.

Yes, I'm the DM. Yes, its 'my' game. No, I don't like playing alone.

C.I.D.

Remove ads