GSL OGL???? What?

ShadowyFigure

First Post
What exactly is the GSL for, dont we have the OGL. Not just that but what is gonna be in the SRD.

I'd like to know as I hope to recreate the heroes TV series with the 4e mechanics (home brewed and modified of course)

abyssaldeath

First Post
The GSL is for 4e and the OGL is for 3e. The difference is that if you convert a product to the 4e system you can not continue to produce 3e product for it as well. One or the other. This is per IP not per company.

RoguePlayingGames

First Post
abyssaldeath said:
The GSL is for 4e and the OGL is for 3e. The difference is that if you convert a product to the 4e system you can not continue to produce 3e product for it as well. One or the other. This is per IP not per company.

Alright... Is this confirmed or still within the realm of speculation?

Let's say a single company can publish the "Rhetorical World Campaign Setting" for 4e, the "Completely Different IP Creature Catalog" for 3.5e, and the "Speculative Based Genre Rulebook" for True20. They can publish games for any rule sets, but they couldn't publish a "Rehetorical World Campaign Setting" for 3.5e since they've already published a 4e version.

That right?

hexgrid

Explorer
ShadowyFigure said:
I'd like to know as I hope to recreate the heroes TV series with the 4e mechanics (home brewed and modified of course)

Unless you also have a license from NBC to publish your work, the GSL isn't really relevant to this endeavor.

Henry

Autoexreginated
As understood by Scott Rouse while holding the contract in his hands, this is correct.

HOWEVER,

The actual license is due out in June, soon after the release of 4e. Anyone who plans to actually publish under the GSL is best off waiting to see the actual license when it's released. Don't worry, I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of Fanfare both here and at Gleemax when the GSL is released for real.

Harr

First Post
Wait, so let's say if Goodman Games were to update the Dungeon Crawl Classics line to 4e (and I don't know whether they are or not), the DCC line including over 50 adventures for 3.5, as they released each adventure in its 4e version... they would have to stop printing and selling the 3.5 version from then on??

That's pretty harsh! =/ Or am I misinterpreting?

Treebore

First Post
hexgrid said:
Unless you also have a license from NBC to publish your work, the GSL isn't really relevant to this endeavor.

I think he is mostly concerned about having a 4E SRD from which to easily copy and paste whole rules he wants for his home brew documents. It saves a lot of work when your trying to make such a thorough house rules document.

RoguePlayingGames

First Post
Henry said:
As understood by Scott Rouse while holding the contract in his hands, this is correct.

HOWEVER,

The actual license is due out in June, soon after the release of 4e. Anyone who plans to actually publish under the GSL is best off waiting to see the actual license when it's released. Don't worry, I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of Fanfare both here and at Gleemax when the GSL is released for real.

Thanks.

And I'm not quite putting the cart before the horses just yet. I'm only looking to make sure that I've got the right horses to pull the cart along.

abyssaldeath

First Post
Harr said:
Wait, so let's say if Goodman Games were to update the Dungeon Crawl Classics line to 4e (and I don't know whether they are or not), the DCC line including over 50 adventures for 3.5, as they released each adventure in its 4e version... they would have to stop printing and selling the 3.5 version from then on??

That's pretty harsh! =/ Or am I misinterpreting?

I don't know if you have to stop printing and selling the old stuff, but you will not be able create any new 3.5 material for Dungeon Crawl Classics.

Remove ads