Guardians of the ...

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The first fleet flagship will be named Discovery and bear a family resemblance to the 2001 version.

pming

Legend
(Space) Monty Python: "Hnnmmm... On second thought. Lets not go into space. 'Tis a silly place".

Hiya!
For the record, I am 100% against the "premise" outlined for the US Space Force. And I quote...

The Space Force "organizes, trains, and equips space forces in order to protect U.S. and allied interests in space and to provide space capabilities to the joint force,"

That sounds like a recipe for disaster right there! Just replace "U.S." with "China", or "Russia", or "Germany", or "Japan", or any other country...does that sound like a good reason for a "Space Force"? All that is going to do is signal to other countries "Hey, you know that whole 'no weapons in space' thing we all agreed on waaaay back when? Yeah. Screw that. Whomever gets there first, wins! Ready? Set? GO!"

I would much rather have it say something like "Organizes, trains and equips space forces in order to better protect Earth and it's populace against any and all space-based threats". Sure, it may be an American thing...but nobody effing cares about countries when you are in space looking down at Planet Earth and realize ... "Whoa! That...that's amazing...and...so small! In under two hours I can see every country on earth. I don't feel so 'American/Canadian/Chinese/English/etc' so much as I feel just, well, insignificantly Human".

Space is big. Bigger than any country...or company. We, as a species, need to get our poop together and try not to screw up space exploration as we have earth-based exploration. Just sayin'...

PS: All the Guardians thing does is mean that there's going to be a big resurgence of 60's, 70's and early 80's music. I'm cool with that! :D

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Last edited:

This deserves to be mocked till the end of time. The mere concept is dumb (and possibly a threat to our peaceful exploration of space), the name is dumb, and the logo looks like a rip off of Star Trek.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This deserves to be mocked till the end of time. The mere concept is dumb (and possibly a threat to our peaceful exploration of space), the name is dumb, and the logo looks like a rip off of Star Trek.
1608391155641.png

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
All that is going to do is signal to other countries "Hey, you know that whole 'no weapons in space' thing we all agreed on waaaay back when?

So, to be clear, the Outer Space Treaty says no weapons of mass destruction in orbit on on celestial bodies. Conventional weapons are allowed.

You can't build military bases, have military maneuvers, or test weapons on celestial bodies. So, while you can have a Space Force, with guns, you can't have a Space Force base on the Moon.

Ulfgeir

Hero
So, to be clear, the Outer Space Treaty says no weapons of mass destruction in orbit on on celestial bodies. Conventional weapons are allowed.

You can't build military bases, have military maneuvers, or test weapons on celestial bodies. So, while you can have a Space Force, with guns, you can't have a Space Force base on the Moon.
Ok, so they still need to send up troops the day the lunar colonies revolt. ;)
Guess Heinlein wasn't too far off then.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

Yeah, that makes sense I guess. I mean, shooting a MOAB at a space station would kill everyone on it as the space station exploaded...but riddling it with .50 bullets and a half dozen RPG's would do very little.
;)
Please note the ";)".
In space, a high-powered pellet gun has the potential to kill everyone on board a space station, shuttle, ship. The definition of "WMD" is mostly irrelevant when talking about 'ship to ship' combat or attacks against, say, a moon base of our current and foreseeable future. I get the original INTENT... which was to stop countries from placing nukes directly over target countries so that they could just "nuke them from orbit" because there would be very little to zero warning, and very hard to tell just WHO actually launched the weapon (it's trajectory would be "from space", not "from Country X" or "from location YZ").
Space need to be seen as NEUTRAL TERRITORY, akin to the Antarctica, but more so. There should be a RIDICULOUS penalty for stirring up shtuff in space for ANY "entity" (country, person, company, etc). HUGE penalties. Like, "you can't afford to do this or your country is in the doghouse, worldwide, for the next 100 years" kind of penalty. Basically, mutually assured destruction...but more of a 'personally assured suicide'. ;)
If space ISN'T considered "NEUTRAL GROUND" and open to ANYONE who goes there...country, religion, company, or individual...then it's ONLY going to end in pain and suffering. I can guarantee that. You want to put a base on the Moon? Go for it. Your rival wants to put a base on the moon 100km from you? Go for it. You then walk over and sabotage your rivals base? ...OOOHHHH NO.....NO NO NO...you dun stepped in it now, boyo! The result of such a thing should be immediate, swift, decisive, and permanent action from everyone else; in short, the aggressor just gave up their base, personnel and anyone on it, and must pay for EVERYTHING related to EVERYONE's response to the aggression. As I said...you attack someone in space... you're signing your own death warrant.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Ryujin

Legend

Given that a rock is potentially a weapon on mass destruction, when dropped down a gravity well, I'd be interested in how they define the term in the treaty. Time to go searching.

Remove ads