[GUIDE] Born to be Wild, a sorcerer guide.

Arthil

First Post
Since you have the Str, no need to go hexblade. I would dip fighter for heavy armor and defensive style, or cleric for the spell slots. And then take +1 Str / +1 Cha, +2 Str, +2 Str, and resilient Wis. Possibly inspiring leader.

You will end up with 26 AC. 18 heavy armor, +1 defensive style, +2 shield, and +5 shield spell.

+3 Cha will still be enough to cast the occasional fireball, which does half on a miss anyways. And spells like greater invisibility and haste don't require Cha.

I actually thought about dipping into Paladin as well after looking around for other ideas. You can't get Heavy Armor proficiency from dipping into Fighter though, only way to get it without taking the feat is to dip Cleric and take a domain which gives it. So "only" 25 AC instead :D.

mellored

Legend
I actually thought about dipping into Paladin as well after looking around for other ideas. You can't get Heavy Armor proficiency from dipping into Fighter though, only way to get it without taking the feat is to dip Cleric and take a domain which gives it. So "only" 25 AC instead :D.
If you start fighter, you get heavy armor. Then take the rest of your levels as sorcerer. And if you're only dipping 1 level, fighter is just better than paladin, as it get's defensive style.

But cleric works as well, bringing spell slots.

Arthil

First Post
If you start fighter, you get heavy armor. Then take the rest of your levels as sorcerer. And if you're only dipping 1 level, fighter is just better than paladin, as it get's defensive style.

But cleric works as well, bringing spell slots.

Ahh yeah I'm set in starting off with Sorcerer, both because I want to but also because now that we've done a Session 0 everything is locked in.

The dip into fighter would work really well, although going that route might make taking it from a dip into going 5/6 levels a better idea. My idea was to push 5 levels into Warlock so I'd be able to get the invocation which gave Extra Attack.

Last edited:

gyor

Legend
Enveration is better for Shadow Sorcerers then other classes that get because of the Shadow Hound.

A Shadow Sorcerer uses it's bonus action to summon the Shadow Hound and then casts an Empowered Enveration on a target, the SH ensures the target has disadvantage on it's saves against Enveration, not just the first one, and it knocks down the target, helping to make sure it can't get far enough away to end the spell early. The empower metamagic allows to reroll the damage dice, which boosts the damage, but also as a side effect boosts the healing which is based upon the damage dealt.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I'd like to note that while Simulacrums can't regain spell slots, there's nothing against them creating them.
So your Simulacrum army is still usable beyond the first day.

InspetorG

Villager
Pardon the necro...

Any Updates pertaining to the massive class updates in the UA?
I havent tried them yet, but they seem to mainly be a buff.

Spell Versatility to help the lack of Spells Known.

Empowering Reserves seems to have some negative synergy with Tides of Chaos, 2Sp for advantage on an Ability Check
Imbuing Touch is a nice low-level buff for the party Beatsticks.
Sorcerous Fortitude some Temp HP, costs an action so cant be used as a clutch safety measure.

Metas:
Elemental Spell: YES! 1SP to convert between a few energy types. Fewer spells can do more duty.
Seeking Spell: meh. 1SP to ignore cover on a spell attack roll that allows a Dex Save.
Unerring Spell: 2Sp to reroll a missed attack spell roll. Hmm... costly but i wanna say when Bend Luck misses

Spells:
0: Primal Savagery- Melee Attack 1d10 acid damage. No weapon needed so, decent for desperate shield carrying Hexblade Sorlocks?
1: Grease-nice, Protection from Good/Evil- niche but there are probably better things to use Concentration on.
2: Flame Blade-meh. Maybe for gish fire dragon sorcs. Flaming Sphere- NICE! A summon that does fair AOE damage. I want to say it can be Twinned...
3: Vampiric Touch- requires a Melee Spell Attack... Maybe for a gish?
4: Fire Shield- Good due to non-concentration. Resist either fire or cold with some light and retaliation damage.
5: nothing
6: Flesh to Stone-Hmm. Con Save sucks but with Bend Luck it could be a costly but nice Save-or-Suck.
7: nothing
8: Demiplane- Yup!!!
9: Foresight- very nice, but better than Wish?

Thoughts?

Remove ads