• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Guns in a fantasy setting

Elf Witch

First Post
Can someone steer me to a decent book, PDF, website that has rules for introducing gunpowder and guns to a fantasy setting?

I am noodling the idea in my brain in running a western/fantasy game.

Can someone steer me to a decent book, PDF, website that has rules for introducing gunpowder and guns to a fantasy setting?

A mighty fortress (AD&D 2E) has some good material on historical firearms and their uses.

The free ZEITGEIST Player's Guide provides rules for the firearms in the setting, but it's a fairly short element. Instead of using gunpowder, they're shot with firedust, made from crystallized elemental fire.

mmadsen

First Post

What are your goals in introducing firearms? Because realistic matchlocks would be comparable to crossbows, but much louder and scarier -- which is very, very important in real-life combat, but not-so-much in RPG combat, where everyone fights to the last hit point.

So you might make a matchlock pistol comparable to a hand crossbow, an arquebus comparable to a light crossbow, and a musket comparable to a heavy crossbow.

Reloading should take a long, long time.

Pentius

First Post

If you're looking for something quick and not very rules intensive, I'd look at zeitgeist. The rules would be for pathfinder, but should convert fairly painlessly. I haven't checked the pathfinder version, but I know in the 4e version the gun rules are listed in the player's guide, which is free. I imagine the same holds true for the PF version.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Decent? I dunno about decent but firearms are integral to the AD&D2nd ed. Savage Coast/Red Steel campaign setting. Available for free download from WotC's site and the official Mystara fan site.

The "smoke powder" aspect wasn't there in the BECMI era of the region. The AD&D era tied up the metaplot Red Curse, the red steel super metal, and a unique mineral with the production of the "smoke powder" that was used for the region's firearms.

Because this was a subregion of the Mystara setting, in order to keep firearms from spreading over the world, an arbitrary rule was in place that the smoke powder ceased to function outside the area blanketed by the Red Curse.

Elf Witch

First Post
I will take a look at some of these options.

What I am thinking about doing is having a campaign with DnD elements like different races, magic, gods, monsters but instead of being set in a medieval world it would be set in a world similar to the American old west.

I am not sure how it would work at this point.

Remove ads