• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Guns in a fantasy setting

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Deadlands D20 gets you a long way there...assuming you're using a D20 version of D&D. As I recall, Iron Kingdoms and Swasbucking Adventures would work as well.

Heck, you could even downgrade the Sci-Fi weaponry from Dragonstar.

My guess: firearms are a great equalizer in FRPGs, just like in real life...

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
What I am thinking about doing is having a campaign with DnD elements like different races, magic, gods, monsters but instead of being set in a medieval world it would be set in a world similar to the American old west.
The Savage Coast region was an analogue of the Age of Exploration of the New World. As such, it had aspects of english, portuguese and spanish colonialism of the America. It found a place for a fantasy "Mexico" (Almarrón), fantasy "Pampas" with gauchos (Guadalante) and fantasy "old Texas" (Cimmaron) in a D&D framework.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Sidewinder: Reloaded... however, you will not like the multiple round reload time on most guns. Also, if I remember correctly the made a mention about the inaccuracy that existed in most pre-industrial non-rifled guns.

Will Doyle

Explorer
For my last 3E D&D campaign I had this floating sky prairie called Driftwood, rich in minerals, that the major powers of the world were all fighting over. So it had settlers, railroads, gold mines, gunpowder (and skyships!). Worked surprising well.

I recently put together some houserules for introducing guns into 4E (and bicycles :)). You may find them useful if you're playing that system.

Elf Witch

First Post
Several thoughts that have been going through my head.

The problem with reskinning crossbows is that they never go up in damage. So you end up with the issue I see with bows and crossbows in DnD and that is at higher levels they are no threat at all.

So if you have a gunslinger which would be a fighter type he can unload bullet after bullet and never come class to bringing down the higher level threats.

I have looked at other systems but they don't give me what I want I don't want a steampunk feel I want a fantasy feel.

I once years ago played in a very successful DnD swashbuckler game that had firearms in it and it worked just fine. I don't remember the rules.

I do think that the six shooter would have to be modified so you have to reload after a shot. with that you can still have two people facing off and the person who wins the initiative wins the fast draw.

Several thoughts that have been going through my head.

The problem with reskinning crossbows is that they never go up in damage. So you end up with the issue I see with bows and crossbows in DnD and that is at higher levels they are no threat at all.

So if you have a gunslinger which would be a fighter type he can unload bullet after bullet and never come class to bringing down the higher level threats.

I have looked at other systems but they don't give me what I want I don't want a steampunk feel I want a fantasy feel.

I once years ago played in a very successful DnD swashbuckler game that had firearms in it and it worked just fine. I don't remember the rules.

I do think that the six shooter would have to be modified so you have to reload after a shot. with that you can still have two people facing off and the person who wins the initiative wins the fast draw.

You may want to check out the old Gothic Earth system (which was Ravenloft in the victorian era). They had rules in there for revolvers that were actually kind of interesting. It has been years since I played, so just going by memory.

The old aquebus rules in 2E and 3E were pretty good (I think they did d10 damage, but the roll exploded on a 10).

Remove ads