D&D 5E Guns in your world, and in mine!

Salamandyr

Adventurer
So thinking about this...thought it would be neat to have some basic dates for when various firearms appeared...(all dates very general and pulled from quick and desultory internet search)

handgonne
or hand cannon...13th century, they've got one dated about 1288 (originally in China) had a hole and were lit with a match, like early cannon.

Arquebus...15th Century-, started out much like the gonne, lit with a hook and match, and later developed into the matchlock

As the arquebus became lighter, around the 17th Century, the term "musket" became the common term for long barrelled smoothbore rifles. Other than technical developments (from match, to match lock, to wheellock to flintlock) there really doesn't appear to be much difference between a musket and an arquebus (which I didn't know before I started this).

Rifles (ie, long arms with rifled barrels) appeared in Europe in the 15th Century. These were much more accurate (and thus more useful at a longer range), but slower loading than a smoothbore rifle, and so muskets were the common military sidearm.

Pistols seem to date from the 16th Century and were a European invention. No word on rifling...I think they commonly weren't. They used the same firing mechanisms as muskets and rifles (match to wheel to flint.

As far as technical developments...

Matchlock...appeared 15th Century

Wheellock...developed around 1500 (start of 16th Century)

Flintlock...early 17th century (early 1600's).

Around 1820 or so, flintlocks started to be replaced by percussion cap weapons.

None of these firing mechanism changes really affect the deadliness of the weapon, just the reliability. Rifling made guns more accurate, but to really up the deadliness, one needed a technical development of another kind.

For almost all this time, the bullet was a ball, usually of lead, probably about 3/4 inch wide, though smoothbores could fire anything smaller than their barrel given enough wadding. One would think such a large round would be devastating, but it was a round ball, fired with no spin, often only imperfectly fit in the barrel, so it lost a lot of power very quickly at range. The Brown Bess, the standard musket of the British Army had an effective range of supposedly 175 yards (less than the English longbow) but were usually only fired at a range of 50 yards or less. While a musket ball has considerably more kinetic energy than a sword point, for instance, it was spread across a much larger surface area, combined with an easily deformable material apt to spend itself easily against something much harder than itself (like a tempered steel breastplate).

In the early 1800's the minie ball, a shaped round designed to spin was developed that dramatically increased the range and deadliness of firearms. Combine that with paper cartridges, and pretty soon brass cartridges, and better production methods, and you have the wonderful, deadly firearms we know and love today.

By comparison...plate armor began to appear in the mid 14th Century, and became the dominant armor (not counting gambeson) by the 15th-ranging from the breastplate to full plate. While the rich and nobility might have the meticulously fitted plate that D&D uses to justify the expense of plate mail in the game, there was such a thing as munition armor-generically sized armor pieces stockpiled to be worn by any serving soldier it was issued to.

Mail (often called chain mail) continued to be used, but becomes less prominent. Once you've got the tech to make plate armor (first the ability to make consistent steel, and later sheet metal rolling), it's just easier to make plate than it is to make millions of riveted rings. Brigandine and other types of scale still get used (I don't know if the Chinese ever really did armor with large plates) because it's essentially plate made up of many small pieces instead of one big one, and in the case of Brigandine, it can be disguised as a doublet. And the modern armor soldiers wear today differs in materials, but not so much in design from the Wisby Coat-of-Plates from the 14th Century.

Plate armor of course never goes away until at least the 19th Century, and in Europe, I think there were still Cavalry soldiers wearing breastplates into the 20th Century, though I'm sure by that point it was largely ceremonial.

To take another example, the novel, the Three Musketeers, often pointed to as an example of the lightly armed swashbuckling epic many people want to introduce flintlocks to emulate (though the Musketeers rarely used firearms outside of their role in the army, takes place in 1625 right in the middle of the 30 Years War. Take a look at any depiction of battle in the 30 years war. What do we see? Guys in armor fighting with pikes, swords, and guns, while dudes in full plate ride around on horseback.

That's just in Europe; in other parts of the world, like Asia, armor was existing right alongside firearms-and I bet much like Batman's Batsuit in the Dark Knight, it could be relied on for everything but "a straight shot".

From what little I read on the Cuirassier, the post feudal armored cavalry, by the mid 17-18th Century, armor appears to have fallen in and out of favor. Certainly it became less complex, going from full plate eventually to just a breastplate and helmet (one can never, every forget the helmet). But remember that's late enough you had Cortez and his men running around in armor in Latin America and we dug up a brigandine in the ruins of Jamestown.

http://historicjamestowne.org/april-2009-2/

Even accepting the premise that firearms was the nail in armors coffin (it wasn't, except for a very short period from about the mid 19th Century to after WWII), armor and firearms existed contemporaneously for hundreds of years. There is no reason to give armor physics defying power no other weapons have.

Last edited:

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Guns, yes, but on a much grander scale. They did a time-travel module where they helped fight the Spanish Armada and brought back a canon (which they used as a prototype to make more).

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
In Eberron? Thunderstorm. Albeit one that with the right preparation and reagents (and Igor raising the copper rod on the roof) can be harnessed.

Now a lot of this is going to hinge on what your personal definitions of Science Fiction and of Fantasy are.
However, in Eberron, warforged aren't turned out by some industrial production line: Each one is an individual created by a poorly-understood interaction between a member of a particular family bearing a mysterious mark, an eldritch machine, and long-lost plans dating from an ancient war between Giants and extraplanar beings from the Dream Dimension.
The ritual that binds an elemental into a dragonshard is known by rote and performed by many Gnomes daily. You can still walk into the cabin of a Lightning rail locomotive, cast a spell, and talk with the captive magical being that powers it. Without the right magical destiny manifesting itself on your skin however, no amount of training will help you drive that train.

Science Fantasy - probably, but Eberron actively embraces the supernatural that general science fiction eschews.

Its worth noting that thunderstorms are scientifically understood, also.

The Dresden books are a great example of magic in a fantasy world where magic runs on rules, some of which are scientific. When Dresden wants to freeze a huge chunk of lake, he channels fire, drawing heat from his surroundings, and shoots it into the sky, creating a cold snap that freezes the lake for a bit, and explains it as wizards still having to do business with the laws of thermodynamics.

But he is still channeling fire with his will. Creating miracles by focusing and yelling "fuego!", or whatever.

Im currently making a world where magic exists, and "physical" magic is scientifically understandable, but still poorly understood. Meanwhile, spiritual magic, and gods, defy even the new laws being discovered that govern magic. Gods are verifiably real, but seemingly impossible to quantify beyond that. We can study how the Thaumotological Field is directly impacted by conscious Will, manipulating other fields and natural forces, and eventual discover the Thaumoton Particle, but even 100 years later, when there are multiple generations of PhDs in the field, there is no solid science on what a forest spirit is made of, or how Huggin and Munnin are able to gather information from all the "9 Realms" and communicate it all to Odin, or even know for certain if those three entities are even separate beings in the first place.

And no amount of study changes what happens during harvest time, when the Caul Born sleep, and wake in the same dream, side by side in the same field of golden wheat, some in forms unlike their waking bodies, and fight all night against demons and evil sorcerers, and monsters that were once mortals. No experiment can save those who die in these battles, or explain the scars that appear on the waking body of the dreamer come the dawn. Or save the crops when they are pushed back.
Or explain why the Night Battles are happening more frequently, or why the monsters seem driven more by fear than hunger, or why so many more have been born with the Caul in recent years.

Anyway, guns! In the above game, we deal with guns in a few unique ways. First, magic runs on will, and enchantment is easier if you are touching the thing, and these are important because:

defensive magic is basically pitting will against will
and
the projectile in a gun is further detached from the user than a sword, or even an arrow.

So. When you swing a sword are a magically shielded person, your will helps overcome their magic shield. With a bow, your will isn't quite as helpful, but it's still a factor. Which a gun, it isn't a factor. So, guns a re useful, but you do less damage to magically protected creatures than if you swung a sword at them.

The system also also deals with damage differently than dnd, so higher damage dice isn't an option.

Basically, every attack does damage of a type, and every object, armor (including magical armor), and many critters have resistence to some damage, and often vulnerability to others, and guns mitigate damage resistance.

So, guns are useful, but few characters want to totally eschew other options. In fact, the game discourages exclusive focus on a type of weapon, in general. Also research is strongly encouraged. Don't want to be doing maximum 5 damage per attack because you couldn't be bothered. :D

doctorbadwolf

By the by, does anyone else ever use alchemical or "steampunk" guns?

I had a character in a forum RP once who was a steampunk alchemist/inventor, who had made a dense liquid compounds that was just short of gel, and would expand rapidly to a gas if mixed with a second liquid and then catalized with electricity, and used it to power his light airship, and his guns. The guns were a cartridge design, and the electrical component had to be "primed" with a small thumb wheel where the hammer goes in a flintlock.

The airship, OTOH, used sails that were made of material that combined specially treated whoop witha proton collecting crystalline material that collected photons and converted them into electrons and then stored the electricity in crystals to power the alchemical reactor. That's the fun of fantasy "science", it doesn't need to actually be scientifically sound, it just has to sound good, and have the right "feel".

Its worth noting that thunderstorms are scientifically understood, also.
Yeah, I chose two things that are actually the same thing in my analogy for a reason. Do you want to have this conversation or not?

By the by, does anyone else ever use alchemical or "steampunk" guns?
Well, alchemy is perfectly capable of producing good old black powder, but if you mean firearms with propellants more exotic than that, I find them tacky. Like a sword made of some fanciful crystal instead of steel. Different for the sake of different. No real point to it; all flash and no substance.

I use lots of flintlock weapons and cannons in my third edition campaign. Some of the stats for them may be usable in 5th edition as well.

Pistols

Weapon nameCostDmg (S)Dmg (M)CriticalRange
Increment
WeightType
Pistol butt-1d31d4X2--Bludgeoning
Bullets (10)3gp----2lb-
Flintlock pistol250gp1d81d10X350ft3lbPiercing
Spiral barrel pistol with stock *350gp1d81d10X360ft4lbPiercing
Officers double barrel flintlock pistol **1,500gp1d81d10X350ft3lbPiercing

Muskets

Weapon name
Cost
Dmg (S)
Dmg (M)
Crit
Range increment
Weight
Type
Rifle butt
-
1d4
1d6
X2
-
-
Bludgeoning
Bullets (10)
3gp
-
-
-
-
-
-
Carbine
300gp
1d10
1d12
X3
150ft
7lb
Piercing
Matchlock Musket *
400gp
1d10
1d12
X3
200ft
10lb
Piercing
Spiral barrel musket
600gp
1d10
1d12
X3
250ft
10lb
Piercing
Musket
500gp
1d10
1d12
X3
200ft
10lb
Piercing

Hold out weapons

Weapon nameCostDmg (S)Dmg (M)CriticalRange incrementWeightType
Deringer
Holdout pistol
100gp1d61d8X210ft1lbPiercing
Rigby Holdout pistol200gp1d6+11d8X215ft1lbPiercing

Cannon ammo

Weapon nameCostDmg (S)Dmg (M)CriticalRange
increment
WeightType
Cannonball (10)30gp---500ft.15lb-
Linked shot (10)50gp---100ft.20lb-
Ball and Chain (10)60gp---300ft.30lb-
Scatter shot (10)100gp---500ft.15lb-
Explosive Cannonball 150gp3d6 fire3d6 fire-500ft.15lb-
Grapeshot (10)30gp---100ft.30lb-

Siege weapons

Bombard
(4 crew needed)
3,500gp-10d6-200ft
(100ft min.)
--
Swivel gun
(1 crew needed)
(Reload 1 full round)
500gp2d62d6X390ft50 lb.-
Light cannon
(2 crew needed)
(1 shot/3rnds)
1,000gp4d64d6-500ft/5ft. line400 lb.Direct
Light
Medium cannon
(3 crew needed)
(1 shot/4rnds)
4,000gp6d66d6-500ft/5ft. line900 lb.Direct
Heavy
Heavy cannon
(4 crew needed)
(1 shot/6 rnds)
10,000gp10d610d6-500ft./5ft. line1,800 lb.Direct
Heavy

Attachments

• PirateWeapons.docx
    9.1 MB · Views: 624
Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Well, alchemy is perfectly capable of producing good old black powder, but if you mean firearms with propellants more exotic than that, I find them tacky. Like a sword made of some fanciful crystal instead of steel. Different for the sake of different. No real point to it; all flash and no substance.

In the context of fantasy fiction, alchemy generally means "science combined with magic".
Since that is the context of the thread, I figured that would be obvious.

Also, since alchemy is just an older word for science that was dropped due to the fact it included things that weren't science as well, one could just as easily say that alchemy is perfectly capable of producing a smart phone, but the context of the discussion would still make that a weird, if technically true, statement. :)

In my home setting, most non humans use Alchemy instead of Science, and get confused about the whole terminology change.

Anyway, the implications in the world with different propellants and explosives, with very different properties, are a good deal more than "different for the sake of different".

Same with things like ceramic weapons, or really most changes in material sciences.

doctorbadwolf

How much damage should a standard cannon do?

I was thinking 1d20. Do you believe that is too little?

Id rather use multiple dice. 2d10? I'd also make it a dex save.

How do folks deal deal with monks? Can they catch bullets? Is it harder than other missiles? Do they take damage even if they do catch it?

In the context of fantasy fiction, alchemy generally means "science combined with magic".
There's no sharp distinction. In a universe where you can mix some substances to create a black powder that explodes and mix some different substances to create a red liquid that heals wounds, who's to say that one is "magic" and the other isn't?

Also, since alchemy is just an older word for science that was dropped due to the fact it included things that weren't science as well, one could just as easily say that alchemy is perfectly capable of producing a smart phone, but the context of the discussion would still make that a weird, if technically true, statement. :)
The difference being that historical alchemists actually did produce gunpowder.

In my home setting, most non humans use Alchemy instead of Science, and get confused about the whole terminology change.
When you say this it really just raises the question of why they're speaking English to begin with.

Anyway, the implications in the world with different propellants and explosives, with very different properties, are a good deal more than "different for the sake of different".
Having very different properties is one thing, but normally when I see "alchemical" firearms, they don't. They're just reskinned gunpowder weapons. Especially in the context of a details-light game like 5E D&D, there are only so many ways you can do "shoots small metal projectile out of tube very fast".

Remove ads