D&D 5E Guns in your world, and in mine!

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I actually like the DMG stats and they make more sense for slightly later firearms (i.e. reloading a musket in 6 seconds seems really hard).

But since you asked, I think the stats you posted in your first post are pretty good. Those damage numbers seem about right; slightly better than a crossbow, but only slightly. The 2d4/2d6/2d8 stats seem overpowered to me; you don't want guns outclassing melee weapons unless you expect people to just stop using melee weapons (which changes the tactical game considerably). Now 2d4/2d6/2d8 might be balanced if those weapons take an action to reload, or have some other onerous requirement.

The blunderbuss spread rules are a little confusing. You could try phrasing the area as a line, 5-feet wide up to short range and then 10-feet wide up to long range; that seems a little clearer than what you have written.

I actually don't know much about the blunderbuss, but if it's anything like a modern shotgun, I think the spread effect is often greatly overestimated. The spread makes it more to hit, but catching multiple enemies in the blast is rare. I might do something like: range 30/120, damage 1d10/1d6, +2 to hit. The flat +2 bonus is less powerful than advantage and interacts better with the range-increment rules. The damage step-down is a bit more extreme, too, to make up for the better range. The only downside to doing it this way is you lose the option to "accidentally" catch your allies in the blast. ;}

I actually don't know much about the blunderbuss, but if it's anything like a modern shotgun, I think the spread effect is often greatly overestimated.
The blunderbuss is more like the shotgun of fiction and video games. The spread is pretty absurd, and the effective range is correspondingly awful.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I think Matt Mercer's homebrew is pretty solid, though it does work best with the gunslinger class he homebrewed alongside them, because the reload requires an "attack" making it a full action reload if you don't have extra attack, and it requires tinker tools to fix when they misfire, but otherwise I think they are pretty good. Going to attempt to post a picture so I don't have to retype everything

[sblock] tumblr_obon5uauoe1vu94cgo3_1280.png [/sblock]

Edit: Always forget about the scattergun. That I don't like, because I find it way too powerful. 30 ft cone of 1d8 or 2d8 whenever you feel like is a little much

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Firearms in one of my settings are simple, lower damage than bow and xbows, bc they don't add stat mod to damage, and take your move to reload. better versions can be made, if you've the coin.

In another setting, they compete with advanced alchemist's crossbows. Both have revolver mechanisms, reloading after 6 shots, do similar damage, etc. main difference is that if you have the coin or alchemical knowledge, the xbow can be loaded with vial bolts, and do things like explode on impact, while the guns are easier to use, conseal, put a bayonet on, and are a better tool for armies. And cheaper.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Here's my stats for the for Curse of Innistrad campaign setting (not completely sold on them yet - it's a work in progress):

Edit: and it looks like I'm going to be stealing some stuff posted up thread :)

Guns:
Pistol250gp1d8 Piercing3lbAmmunition (range 30/90), loading
Dragon350gp1d10 Piercing4lbBuckshot (range 10/30), loading
Musket500gp1d12 Piercing10lbAmmunition (range 40/120), loading two-handed
Blunderbuss500gp1d14 Piercing10lbBuckshot (range 20/60), loading two-handed

Explosives:
Bomb150gpDC 12 Dex save or 3d6 fire damage1lbRange 60ft
Gunpowder, Keg250 gpDC 12 Dex save or 7d6 fire damage50lbRange radius 20 ft
Gunpowder, Horn35 gpDC 12 Dex save or 3d6 fire damage2lbRange radius 5ft

Last edited:

Bawylie

A very OK person
Starting next month, I'm running CoS. I've decided to advance the tech level from fantasy to 1800s.

I've ditched armor, in favor of Unarmored Defense (for some classes) while others rely on Mage Armor or Cunning Action (with Dodge as an added option).

I'm using the firearms found in the DMG, but increasing the damage of the shotgun by one step. And I'm being a little careful as to which classes are proficient in which arms.

As an added component, I'm reintroducing damage immunities to many monsters but with specific material weaknesses. Silver for example will be the only thing that can damage a were-creature.

Instead of ammo tracking, we'll track by "reloads." Probably use dice on the table to count down to zero.

My goal here is to push the Hammer style horror of the black and white films (and some of their contemporary remakes) while adding a sort of Supernatural (tv series) component of research & materials vs threats.

Hopelessness & horror overcome by prep & determination. Gonna have some neat madness stuff too.

-Brad

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Starting next month, I'm running CoS. I've decided to advance the tech level from fantasy to 1800s.

I've ditched armor, in favor of Unarmored Defense (for some classes) while others rely on Mage Armor or Cunning Action (with Dodge as an added option).

I'm using the firearms found in the DMG, but increasing the damage of the shotgun by one step. And I'm being a little careful as to which classes are proficient in which arms.

As an added component, I'm reintroducing damage immunities to many monsters but with specific material weaknesses. Silver for example will be the only thing that can damage a were-creature.

Instead of ammo tracking, we'll track by "reloads." Probably use dice on the table to count down to zero.

My goal here is to push the Hammer style horror of the black and white films (and some of their contemporary remakes) while adding a sort of Supernatural (tv series) component of research & materials vs threats.

Hopelessness & horror overcome by prep & determination. Gonna have some neat madness stuff too.

-Brad
I would count it a personal favor if you were to post your specifics for all of that. I mean, I'm ptobably not interested in madness rules, but ya never know!

Research is a big deal in my games, and the all new game I'm building has multiple skills oriented toward research. Instead of weapons doing different damage, different creatures and armors have resistances and immunities, and often vulnerabilities, and weapons have damage types and sometimes other special properties, and of course, things like physical damage resistance and silver vulnerability apply.
So, if none of that applies, your attack deals 1d10 damage. If there is a resistence and you have nothing to overcome it, you do 1d6 damage. If you meet the critter's vulnerability, you might do 2d6 damage, or in rare cases, 2d10 damage.
The skills system and the above discourage hyper focusing on a single weapon all the time, but still slow for things like a character having a named heirloom weapon that is somehow special.

Still working on what properties to give guns in that system, though.

Remove ads