GURPS WWII - Darkest Hour (Started but still Recruiting. No really)

Wilphe

Adventurer
The Wermacht overan Poland in three weeks, Denmark in a day, Norway took a little longer but the issue was hardly in doubt. The blitzkreig decapitated France, and Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands were caught in the vortex and sucked down into darkness.
Mussolini, eager to be in at the death, eyes Egypt and the Balkans, whilst the Soviets secure in their unholy alliance with the Nazis gobbled up Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, half of Poland and large chunks of Finland - though the last at bloody price. In the East the Japanse military seek new adventures, even though incapble of properly digesting China. In the west, the United States lies prostrated by depression, torn between isolationist denial and resigned preparation.
Meanwhile, the fate of Europe is the hands of a few hundred young men in the skies over southern England, while underneath them, the first plans are being made for striking back...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looking for a small group to join the newly formed Special Operations Executive (SOE). PCs will have been recruited on a word of mouth basis, either because of who they know, or because they have some useful talent, or knowledge, or they just happened to be in the right/wrong place at the right time. Exactly what you are going to be doing has not really been explained to you, but you are all volunteers and can back out whenever you like. You won't though will you?

Background, skills and nationality can be more or less anything, provided you would have seemed useful to someone and are physically and mentally capable; Regulars or civilians. A mix of diplomacy, tact, guile, subtevuge and violence will be the most likely means employed, though possibly not in that order. Be as prepared to arrange a coup against a pro-Axis balkan government as you are scouting out for an air raid or commando attack. There aren't many agents at this time, so you will be expected to be versatile and probably overworked and poorly breifed on occassion, oh, and to use a lot of initative. There is no book to follow, you'll be writing it as you go along...

Point buy:
125 points.

Extremely havardous Duty (-20) is practically mandatory, but does not count against the -40 point limit.

You may or may not have attended rather hurried training, depends on character concept.

History:
Flexible, but not weird. Things can happen, if you are lucky you might even get to affect what happens, on a good day your influence might even be favourable...

Geographical reach:
Europe and Middle East, not any further.

Character concepts:
Heck, go wild. I'll tell you if I think it's a dumb idea.

Last edited:

DarkElf109

First Post
I've still gotta read up on the GURPS rules, and I just got my hands on a copy of the WWII source book, so I'll post my character before the end of next week

Wilphe

Adventurer
's fine.

BTW, I will be waiving the "skill points = twice age" rule to reflect the, possibly, highly trained backgrounds of PCs. PCs should be physically capable, if not necassarily competent, otherwise it is highly unlikely that they would be allowed to go on field ops.

Douane

First Post
Would you have a place for a german "Brandenburger", working with the French Resistance? (At least for the moment, till someone finds out.)

Folkert

Last edited:

Wilphe

Adventurer
Hmm,
double agent in the party? Well, everybody would know about it now (IC). Of course a double agent who begins to have doubts about his ultimate loyalties, or a triple agent... Of course given that the Abweher had a very poor record for setting up agents in Britain, it would probably be quite ahistorical.

Last edited:

Douane

First Post
[(Note to self) Lession learned: Sleep before posting; 38 hours without sleep do not improve the clarity of your posts. :)]

What I meant was a member of the "Brandenburger" field troops, not an agent of the Abwehr. Also Erich Karl Graf von Bruckner wouldn't be a double agent for the Germans (in my opinion this could get rather disruptive in a group) but an ordinary soldier (Unterfeldwebel) who developed some doubts abouts certain "elements" within party and reich. Thus he would have worked with the resistance to undermine certain actions he considers wrong and for well, ... other reasons ;) (part of backstory and character abilites) and would of course be used/manipulated by the resistance in other matters.

Hope this clears up my last post post!

Folkert

Btw, I hope you don't mind: It's

Abwehr,
Blitzkrieg und
Wehrmacht

Macbeth

First Post
I'm interested in joining, if you are still accepting players, but I don't have GURPS WWII. I do however have the Basic Rulebook and GURPS High Tech (which covers WWII firearms), so think I might be able to swing it. If your cool with having a player without GURPS WWII, then I'll post a character concept.

GWolf

First Post
Ok, so the Concept

Name: Arthur MacGregor
Place of Birth: Castlebay, Scotland
Date of Birth:1920
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Brown
Weight: 178
Height: 5'9" 1/2
Weapon of Choice: Fists, Feet.

Father: Daniel MacGregor
Daniel was a simple fishermen living in the Small Town of Castlebay scotland. It was there were he became a man, meet his wife, and would later start a family. In 1914 he wanted to help the UK in the Great War so he joined the Airforce. He learned to fly and became quite talented.

-More to be added later

Wilphe

Adventurer
Douane - I should spell check my german, grr. Yeah, sounds nice. I was starting off in Britain and planning on going more or less all over rather than sticking to France, but I think we can work that out (check email)

Macbeth - fine by me, if you want Templates or anything then let me know.

Remove ads