D&D 5E GWF vs TWF: The Math

Abstruse

Legend
TWF Rangers should be interesting too, I'm sure they'll be able to dual-wield scimitars and the like.
My guess is they'll get a fighting style like bonus at 3rd, similar to Fighters. TWF version will probably be that only the off-hand weapon must be light. But that's just a complete guess on my part.

Stalker0

Legend
TWF rogue

the extra attack is a bonus action? this would make it a costlier option for rogues, I think.

That is a very good point actually, and I'm glad for it. Before, rogues would always go TWF as an optimal path. Now there is a trade off there, so I'm guessing you will see a rogue mix between the styles which is perfect imo.

That is a very good point actually, and I'm glad for it. Before, rogues would always go TWF as an optimal path. Now there is a trade off there, so I'm guessing you will see a rogue mix between the styles which is perfect imo.

Agree that it's a good design decision to open up more rogue alternatives. I just wish they'd defined sneak attack to work with all rogue weapons -- it would encourage more thuggish rogues to go the longsword route. As it stands, it would be foolish for a rogue to use a longsword, since you can't sneak attack with it, nor can you dual wield a second weapon that allows sneak attack.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024

I was just thinking about how you could play this...mixing it up...a hide, a disengage, an off-hand attack, in the same fight.

the Jester

Legend
Agree that it's a good design decision to open up more rogue alternatives. I just wish they'd defined sneak attack to work with all rogue weapons -- it would encourage more thuggish rogues to go the longsword route. As it stands, it would be foolish for a rogue to use a longsword, since you can't sneak attack with it, nor can you dual wield a second weapon that allows sneak attack.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a thuggish rogue subclass in the PH who can.

Remove ads