• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gygax doesn't matter?

Numion

First Post
Whatever ones personal feelings about Gary's passing, I think it's pathetic to insinuate that others who cared about it deeply were just due to unfortunate life choices (like making D&D more than an 'activity').

People have made a lot of things that many consider 'activities' into lifestyles. D&D is not the worst of the bunch. While the writer prefers D&D to be just an activity, there's no point to claim that D&D as a lifestyle was any worse.

I never connected with Gary so his death isn't any worse than anyone else's to me; apparently he lived a full and productive life, and brought more happiness to the world than most others. Why shouldn't those that feel touched by him, mourn? Because some failed writer (that's what my gut says; I don't really know this Snyder guy) needs to assert that is RPG hobby is limited to correct level of 'activity'`?

I'm a little confused...

Why do any of you care about Matt Snyder's opinion?

The majority of people around here seem to have no clue who he is, haven't bought a game from him, and probably don't even frequent the same internet places he does.

So why does this one guy's opinion suddenly deserve such passion?

Yes, I do know who he is, and no I'm not going to weigh in on any side of this thing. I personally think the whole thing is stupid. He's got his opinion, you've got yours. Unless one or the other is trying to take away rpg books from someone, I don't see anything to get worked up over. What's next, threads devoted to "soft drinks vs coffee drinkers" or "Pringles vs Doritos"?.

Gygax's memory isn't "tarnished" or whatever by what Snyder has to say. From what I've seen, Gygax didn't care too much about other people's opinion of him. He just did his thing and, at least in later years, seemed to have a very "live and let live" attitude.

This thread doesn't have any kind of "discussion" going on that I can see. Just a bunch of pissed off people, and a few neutral or confused ones.

If y'all are that worked up about it, wailing and gnashing your teeth here on ENWorld isn't going to mean diddly. Post a comment to his blog. You know, maybe you could actually engage the guy in a dialogue or something. It's not like you have to register for an account.

Even if you're annoyed at Snyder for his attitude towards some gamers and his belief that the hobby is treated more as a lifestyle than an activity by a significant portion of its participants... tell _him_ you disagree and why. Prove him wrong.

Unless the entire point of this is to simply fume and stew.

Numion

First Post
Zoatebix said:
If by failed you mean award winning...

Oh, seems Matt Snyder is quite a success, then. Indie RPG award from 6 years ago. Just enough fame to rag on a legend in a blog (where else?), but not quite enough to actually matter.

Also, if I was an RPG writer and that's what my career had amounted to, I'd also have an urge to assert that RPGs are only an 'activity' to me.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
As I mention on another forum, the great irony here is that Matt Snyder is just a guy who designed some games. Gary Gygax created a new entertainment medium. I'm no huge fan of Gary Gygax as several venomous posts here and elsewhere will attests to, though even I recognize that these are two different things entirely.

Attempting to trivialize Gygax's landmark innovation so that it seems no more important an accomplishment than simply designing a game is wholly unreasonable and it certainly sounds like a case of sour grapes. Waiting until Gary Gygax was dead to make the argument is like sucker punching somebody in a boxing match (i.e., cheap).

Last edited:

Numion

First Post
jdrakeh said:
As I mention on another forum, the great irony here is that Matt Snyder is just a guy who designed some games. Gary Gygax created a new entertainment medium. I'm no huge fan of Gary Gygax as several posts here and else where will attests to, though even I recognize that these are two different things entirely.

Attempting to trivialize Gygax's landmark innovation so that it seems no more important an accomplishment than simply designing a game is wholly unreasonable and it certainly sounds like a case of sour grapes. Waiting until Gary Gygax was dead to make the argument is like sucker punching somebody in a boxing match (i.e., cheap).

Indeed. It's ironic that this pissing contest is probably Snyders high point in recognition in the RPG field. Not his indie games or anything else he's done; but taking a dump on the legend :\

Zoatebix

Working on it
D&D has had its enemies over the years, but what most folks don't appreciate is how special, how ground-breaking it was as the first medium of expression to turn anyone who played into a storyteller, into an author, into a creator. Not a bad legacy for a pioneering game guy...
-Warren Spector

Matt Snyder apparently doesn't recognize this the way I (and others) do. I'm willing to concede that his form of not recognizing this was cheap/ dump taking/ in poor taste/ what have you. I'm not willing to concede that we should be denigrating the guy.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads