• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hackmaster won an ORIGINS award in 2001

pawsplay

Hero
he's boycotting a "professional" who made a completely unprofessional statement about another product in the same industry and insulted those who voted for it. This is actually some of the first evidence of the supposed 'WW Designer Snobbery' I've heard mentioned over the years.

I was not literally confused. It's just far from clear to me what the purpose of all this is.

And just why should health issues give someone a free pass?

Who said anything about a free pass? I think randomly picking people to excoriate for no apparent reason is pretty tacky. It's just particularly tacky in this case.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
And just why should health issues give someone a free pass?

How about, "Because while on these boards we aren't supposed to tell the difference between you and a decent, civil human being?"

No, you don't have to give anyone a free pass. But there's a long gap between "free pass" and some of the unconscionable rudeness seen in this thread. Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves. I suspect your parents taught you better, but you're choosing to ignore it.

Lucky for you, today I have no sense of humor. So behave yourselves, or test your luck. If you somehow can't figure out how to treat people well, write to a mod by PM or e-mail, and discuss it.

Thanks for your attention, folks.

Scribble

First Post
This thread has confirmed two things for me.

1. Gamers were having long debates about what was good and considered "progress" in games and game design even 9 years ago. :)

2. None of it really impacted my life in any meaningful way, and life as a whole continued to move on.

Right on. :)

S'mon

Legend
Here is a link to an official blurb for those wondering about this statement.

Driving Blind - New Horizons: A Supplement for Spirit of the Century

"But they're Communists..." was a bit of a giveaway. Cultural Marxist dialectic works best if you keep it shrouded in the clothes of classical Liberalism. ;)

Mod Edit: On a board where politics isn't an appropriate subject, in a thread where a mod has just said he has no sense of humor today, this kind of joke is an incredibly intelligent and thoughtful thing to do! Well done!

Strike two! Who's gonna go for strike three!

Last edited by a moderator:

Crothian

First Post
Looking at this 9 years later I wonder if people would still vote the same way? I know Hackmaster still seems pretty popular. Wheel of Time I thought was not a very well done at all, Adventure was fun but has been surpassed by other Pulp games, Terra Incognita seems to have all but disappeared, and Little Fears seems to enjpoy a small cult status.

eyebeams

Explorer
The First Amendment affords the right to say what one likes. It does not grant any special protection from criticism of the manner in which one chooses to exercise it.

Indeed, it is the absence of such protection that is what the First Amendment is all about.

When people believe the yardstick for acceptable behaviour is whatever someone can get away with under the law and whoever they need to curry favour with to stay in the game, they've a broken yardstick.

This is a general problem with the scene, really.

Last edited:

Mallus

Legend
How can (some) people whose hobby still invites a fair amount of mockery from the general public (ex: my wife --though to be fair it's mockery tempered with love) be so thin-skinned (and yet fat-bearded)?

<King of Siam>'Tis a puzzlement!</King of Siam>

pawsplay

Hero
Looking at this 9 years later I wonder if people would still vote the same way? I know Hackmaster still seems pretty popular. Wheel of Time I thought was not a very well done at all, Adventure was fun but has been surpassed by other Pulp games, Terra Incognita seems to have all but disappeared, and Little Fears seems to enjpoy a small cult status.

Adventure! is still top shelf in my book. I like what they did with the Storyteller system and the specific applications in this setting, e.g. the nemesis background. The talents are big ol' buffet of well-written mechanics full of quirky, fun flabor.

eyebeams

Explorer
Adventure! is still top shelf in my book. I like what they did with the Storyteller system and the specific applications in this setting, e.g. the nemesis background. The talents are big ol' buffet of well-written mechanics full of quirky, fun flabor.

I ran Adventure! earlier this year for a transhuman SF game. Stands up to the test of time, and leads to some remarkably sophisticated and cool game system interactions between facets, Willpower and Inspiration use. It is better at linking character concept, niche, narrative, and in-character desires than lots of games whose partisans make noise about being revolutionary. It's a pity, because 2001 was about the right time to flog things through pedantic, self-congratulatory essays. Bruce should have written himself a few and reaped the glory, but I think he's always been too soft-spoken:)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads