• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hackmaster won an ORIGINS award in 2001

frankthedm

First Post
Last edited:

pawsplay

Hero
1. It's not 2001 anymore. Who or what are you boycotting, and why?
2. Bruce Baugh is a god. You should buy everything he's ever worked on, just to admire the craft.
3. Except Gamma World d20. But he did come back later and bravely admit that warnings from the d20 fan community were not heeded, and that the project was not a success.
4. Thanks to health issues, he is essentially retired from writing, and as part of his health regimen, one of his self-imposed rules is to avoid message boards where he might be flamed by random people who don't know him, who don't care about him personally, and who do not understand or appreciate his approach to craft. If you wanted to drive him out of the industry forever, don't worry, the work has already been done for you by an uncaring universe, with the help of hundreds of people who will never write anything as interesting as some of his run-of-the-mill blog posts.

You may now resume your regularly scheduled flaming of retired sick guys who write lovely posts about life, art, and the simple joys of living.

Where does dungeondelver say that he just found out? All he said, at least in this thread, was that he couldn't recall the name, no?

dungeondelver? Is that you, because you seem to want to defend him so strongly.

Seriously, why would someone bother to drag up a comment that someone made 10 years ago just so that they can announce that they are boycotting said person. This is even stranger when the OP is so outraged that they don't even remember the name of the person that made the comment all those years ago! :confused:

Olaf the Stout

frankthedm

First Post
Though I agree with you about the fact that Baugh's comments make me not want to buy his stuff either, I did think Morrus's comment was pretty funny. Just cuz' it was true. :)

Sadly I find I have not been boycotting Mr. Baugh's work as I do own Hunter: The Reckoning. But now that I know what he said (and knowing is half the battle), I'll probably be less inclined to buy other things with his name on them. Like True20 Adventure Roleplaying.
I considered burning anything I had that he worked on after reading his 2001 comment, but I'm a compulsive hoarder :devil:.

Last edited:

I know that it's a rhetorical question, but since I've seen the suggestion twice, now. . . I've been conversing with Chainsaw in PM at Circvs and he's not thedungeondelver.

dungeondelver? Is that you too? :devil::p:D

Fair enough. Iit just seemed odd how strongly he was defending the OP when the vast majority of people in the thread either agreed with Morrus' comment or, at the very least, thought it was just plain amusing! :)

Olaf the Stout

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Iit just seemed odd how strongly he was defending the OP when the vast majority of people in the thread either agreed with Morrus' comment or, at the very least, thought it was just plain amusing! :)

I'll admit that prior to our conversation via PM, the thought had crossed my mind, too. :)

frankthedm

First Post
1. It's not 2001 anymore. Who or what are you boycotting, and why?
he's boycotting a "professional" who made a completely unprofessional statement about another product in the same industry and insulted those who voted for it. This is actually some of the first evidence of the supposed 'WW Designer Snobbery' I've heard mentioned over the years.

4. Thanks to health issues...
And just why should health issues give someone a free pass?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
he's boycotting a "professional" who made a completely unprofessional statement about another product in the same industry and insulted those who voted for it.

He could have decided to boycott the guy's products without making a public spectacle about it, but the fact that he chose to do so and that he chose to do so ten years after the fact comes across as patently absurd and more than a little melodramatic.

And just why should health issues give someone a free pass?

Picking on the bed-ridden (especially when they aren't in a position to respond) is considered spectacularly crappy sportsmanship by pretty much anybody who possesses even rudimentary social skills. Just like picking on the dead. Gamers everywhere seem to fail at understanding this, however, so I guess it shouldn't surprise me that some ENWorld posters don't get it, either.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads