D&D 5E (+) Halfling Appreciation and Development Thread

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Forests have clearings, you can clear the undergrowth and thin out trees to let in more light.

It's only high intensity agriculture requires lots of light. Personally I've seen wild raspberries growing in forests and there's other edible things like mushrooms and truffles.

We got taught at young age what you can safely eat. Great outdoors and all that. If they don't need to export and don't have large cities I don't think you would even need magic.
also this, yeah. Stuff grows in the forest.

The population density factor is huge. Elfs don’t build densely packed cities.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You’ve also brought this up twice now. I’m not sure why. General elf art isn’t…a rule? Like…okay?
Look at where elven communities wind up on typical FRPG maps. Again, not exactly FL or CA.

Add to that: what is the archetypal ranged weapon for elves? Bows. What kinds of woods can you use for bow-making? Ash, yew, etc. Not exactly from the same climate as your larger fruit trees.

Zardnaar

Legend
also this, yeah. Stuff grows in the forest.

The population density factor is huge. Elfs don’t build densely packed cities.

I'm thinking of the ideal property here. The old ones often have fruit trees. One could have a few more, the road outside can be more trees, a park is a farm, divide population by ten.

There's a big difference between wild forest and a managed one as well. Native bush you can barely move in some if it.

Thin some trees, plant crops in clearing and along the river and clear the undergrowth and have a few small farms here and there I think you could do it on earth. As long as the population is smaller.

Cities used to be a lot smaller as well as long as you're not dropping a metropolis in a forest and a small city (say 8-20k) is in a clearing or spread out.

Don't need citrus grow apples, plums and root vegetables in cooler climates.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Walking my dog at night and thinking this through: Elves, Gnomes and Halflings all produce remarkable things via their mix of mundane & magical agricultural methods:

Elves: can grow things where and when they shouldn’t be able to. If it grows, they can grow it. But they don’t try to create new varietals or grow anything exotic in such large amounts to compete with importers- all exotic crops are consumed within the confines of Elvish society, be it state, city, home ir private room.

Gnomes: are constantly trying to innovate, so their successful experiments are often sought after near & far. Their unsuccessful experiments may seek YOU out…

Halflings: cultivate nothing dangerous or exotic, nor anything surprisingly out of season, but the flavors they coax out of fruits, vegetables, herbs, spices, grains and nuts are unequaled.

Soooo, an Elf might serve you a piece of fresh citrus in the middle of winter. A Gnome might serve you one tasting faintly of fennel. And a Halfling will feed you one whose flavor will make you weep.

Zardnaar

Legend
Walking my dog at night and thinking this through: Elves, Gnomes and Halflings all produce remarkable things via their mix of mundane & magical agricultural methods:

Elves: can grow things where and when they shouldn’t be able to. If it grows, they can grow it. But they don’t try to create new varietals or grow anything exotic in such large amounts to compete with importers- all exotic crops are consumed within the confines of Elvish society, be it state, city, home ir private room.

Gnomes: are constantly trying to innovate, so their successful experiments are often sought after near & far. Their unsuccessful experiments may seek YOU out…

Halflings: cultivate nothing dangerous or exotic, nor anything surprisingly out of season, but the flavors they coax out of fruits, vegetables, herbs, spices, grains and nuts are unequaled.

Soooo, an Elf might serve you a piece of fresh citrus in the middle of winter. A Gnome might serve you one tasting faintly of fennel. And a Halfling will feed you one whose flavor will make you weep.

Athasian Halfling serves you a cooked Elf.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases