Halflings: An Identity Crisis

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Ruin Explorer said:
Must admit, by the way, that I find it very hard to believe you've never seen a Tiefling played, unless you never played Planescape.
I've never played Planescape.

A single setting is hardly a compelling reason to include the race.

Zarithar

Adventurer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
While gnome players don't tend to do the over the top high-faluting RP that elf players do ("her hair was liquid starlight and her eyes seem much older than the rest of her flawless face and body ..."),

That kind of thing really annoys me... I'll edit it a bit:

"her hair was verbose cliche and her eyes seem much more trite than the rest of her overused adjective face and annoying cliche.."

Also, you are right about the Forsaken spitters. I have found however on my battlegroup that the Blood Elves have overtaken the Forsaken in this regard. Generally if I can, I target BEs before any other race when PvPing. As a general rule I can't stand them.

The Little Raven

First Post
Zarithar said:
That kind of thing really annoys me... I'll edit it a bit:

"her hair was verbose cliche and her eyes seem much more trite than the rest of her overused adjective face and annoying cliche.."

Well, that's less roleplaying and more self-aggrandizing fan-fiction. Many people who play Night Elves/Blood Elves on RP servers seem to have that problem.

But then again, I act like a roleplayer and I play on a non-RP server... but I've also got a reputation as being an amusing and eclectic gnome mage.

Kmart Kommando

First Post
Kender minus klepto equals halfling to me.

The whisper gnome picture looks like what a halfling should be.

In my Iron Heroes game, set in a sort of Eberron-ish place with guns, the halflings are pretty close to a more savage kender (close to the Eberron halfling), and my Valenar Elves are like Nazi ninjas (which my players should encounter this week..)

IH is much more lenient about small size characters though. D&D, not so much.

I can't stand the fuzzy-foot, potbellied, perm-top, Tolkien Hobbits, or the stuck-up guy-from-the-matrix Tolkien Elves. The really short-highlander-with-an-axe dwarves are pretty much okay though. Most of the characters in the movies though, I'd send the ninjas after them out of spite. :p

Dausuul

Legend
Kmart Kommando said:
In my Iron Heroes game, set in a sort of Eberron-ish place with guns, the halflings are pretty close to a more savage kender (close to the Eberron halfling), and my Valenar Elves are like Nazi ninjas (which my players should encounter this week..)

...Nazi ninjas.

Dear God. Could there be a more perfect villain?

*starts rewriting 4E setting to include some form of Nazi ninja villains*

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Dausuul said:
...Nazi ninjas.

Dear God. Could there be a more perfect villain?

Well, I'm rather proud of the Perfect World Sect I wrote up for Urbis, whose members want to eliminate all chance from the universe and make the world wholly deterministic because they are convinced that all human suffering derives from the subconscious knowledge that most situations could have evolved in a mor fortitious way if only chance hadn't conspired against you.

But to each his own, I guess.

Remove ads