D&D 5E Halflings are the 7th most popular 5e race

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
At least Canada produces A LOT of craft beers/strong drinks, so they tend to be almost the same price (even lower in some cases) as more industrial/large batch products.

So, in short, alcohol in Canada's pricey, but tend to be good quality.
Ten years ago when I visited Victoria I could visit every craft brewery in a weekend. Now there are maybe 100 in the metro area.

Halflings are still cool.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Most Provinces in Canada have their own government-owned liquor stores where you must buy your alcohol, which tend to raise the prizes a lot.
Worth noting the rules vary widely from province to province. And trying to take something made in one province across a border into another is just asking for headaches.

Here in BC we have both government and private liquor stores, but there's minimum-pricing regulations that largely prevent the private guys from offering much of a deal if any.
At least Canada produces A LOT of craft beers/strong drinks, so they tend to be almost the same price (even lower in some cases) as more industrial/large batch products.
True, at least around here. Can't speak for all parts of the country.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Ten years ago when I visited Victoria I could visit every craft brewery in a weekend. Now there are maybe 100 in the metro area.
I live in Victoria, and while saying there's 100 craft breweries here might be gilding the lily a bit, there's a few dozen. If you include all of Vancouver Island, though, you might get close to 100.
Halflings are still cool.
Particularly when they make good craft beer. :)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Only served in half pints, of course. :p
Au contraire.
PippinPint.gif

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Worth noting the rules vary widely from province to province. And trying to take something made in one province across a border into another is just asking for headaches.

Here in BC we have both government and private liquor stores, but there's minimum-pricing regulations that largely prevent the private guys from offering much of a deal if any.

True, at least around here. Can't speak for all parts of the country.
Likewise, I'm in the States. There are private liquor stores in my state, but they're heavily regulated, with price guidelines, expensive licenses, and other standards. Regular grocery stores cannot sell high-proof alcohol, for example; wine, beer, and relatively low-proof miscellaneous things (e.g. "margarita mix" or hard cider) are sold in regular stores, but if you want proper spirits of any kind, you have to go to a proper, licensed liquor store.

We also have the highest (or perhaps near-highest, these things change) density of microbreweries per capita in the nation due to the excellent growing conditions for hops and wheat (and also grapes), and the unusually soft, naturally-filtered water in our area. Hence why I say our prices may be low relative to (say) New York or LA, where good beer production is hundreds of miles away as opposed to all over the place.

It also helps that we don't have certain taxes in my state, which would raise prices further if they were present.

Edit: To keep things on track, I've always thought of halflings as being the type to truly use things (foodstuffs, beer/wine/spirits, resources), not in an industrial way but an artisanal way. Humanity has the pride and presumption of the elves and the greed and consumption of dwarves, but halflings are down to earth with a domestic bent. Samwise isn't impossible for the ring to tempt, but he carries its burden lightly because it thinks like men and dwarves and elves, and struggles to grapple with a mind that simply rejects power and control as too much hassle and too little personal engagement. Bilbo becomes somewhat deceitful, but beyond that, he remains almost unchanged for decades. Frodo only succumbs to the ring after months (perhaps years) of it actively wearing him down and taking every opportunity it can to poison his mind. Faramir is corrupted so quickly he doesn't even make it to the halfway point of the trilogy.

Thorin was exceptionally clear-eyed on his deathbed, when he said, “There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. But sad or merry, I must leave it now. Farewell!” That's the spirit to capture with halflings, and it really does tie into beer and brewing.

Dwarves brew for the alcohol, and for the tradition. "My father brewed this beer, as his mother before him, and her mother before her, on down the generations to the days when Durin himself graced the Halls that bear his name." It's about clan and symbol, and about cutting loose a little beneath the stuffy blanket of clan expectations. Elves practice vintnery because it is beautiful, because it is skillful, because it is decadent. Humans, well, we do these things for all sorts of reasons, no shock there. But halflings? The spiced wine is for family gatherings and the best ham you'll ever taste. The mulled mead is for birthdays and anniversaries, the sweetness of another's company. The beer, oh, so many recipes that only take on their true flavor with a dark stout or a fruity hefeweizen backing them up, whether in the cooking or in the glass.

Food and drink, not as expressions of austere symbol or tradition, nor as raucous party, but as a tool for how they bring us together and enrich the experience of one day to the next. That's the spirit of the halfling.

One might say that halflings are inclined toward being the Heart of their groups: the one everyone likes, because they care, because they lack the pretense and pride found in most others, because they are, quite often, exactly what they appear to be, but with hidden depths of courage and wisdom that want only for a moment of crisis where they may be revealed.

That lack of flashy stuff is probably why they aren't as popular as other things, and probably won't rise all that far. But the special thing they do bring is special enough that they probably won't fall further, either. They're the type to be quite comfortable with 7th place anyway. "A lucky number!" I imagine they would say.

Last edited:

Remove ads