Hands of Fate - Chapter 1 - The Orbs of Insight

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Lefferts said:
Nedander takes a swing at the kobold leader, hoping, but not expecting to take him
down before he can get away.
(attack +2, 1d8+2 damage, 19-20/x2, I'm assuming my bardic music is still in effect)
Seeing the Kobolds near him, obviously intent on getting the hell out of here with their lives intact, Nedander takes a quick stab at the first one, who nimbly dodges the blow. Nedander, now seeing the two kobolds trying to pass him wuickly strikes out, trying to hit one, but fails to connect with either, as their small frames move too quick for him.

They then meet Nedander, and try to move past him. While the smaller one tries to duck past you, the leader takes a chance, jumping and diving for the doorway. You stand in the way, but somehow, they both manage to plow past you, causing you to lose your footing and fall prone. They continue down the hallway, both heading deeper into the cave. They are only 10 feet away from the doorway and Nedander, and do not seem to be stopping.

(Rolled 5 and 6 for AOO and Regular Attack, for a total of 7 and 8, both missed. Kobolds rolls for getting past you, with penalties were 12 and 11, while yours were 5 and 2 to block. This random generator looks to be in favor of Kobolds right now.)

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
As Jean Ash and Ghin wait for the other student, Baylen can be seen walking from the rear of the academy to meet you at the doors.

"I see that Mogen is not ready yet? No matter, as you must head out quickly. I will deal with him when he comes. As for you two, the farm is as Maximo told you. Head south, slong the creek for half an hour, and then look to you right, to the west. The farm should be there, somwhere in that area with the owner waiting for your arrival. Also, Maximo noticed that you were wihthout a true scout, and asked that Shilo assist you." He turns, with a sharp and quick whistle, and turns back to you. Suddenly, from the doorway to the traning grounds in the rear, you see something running towards you. It is a dog. The type of dog that you see before you is not one of the typical smaller dogs that you see around town, but a larger breed, with toned muscles and a short haired jet black coat. It seems well mannered, as it runs up to Bayne and sits, waiting for something. It does not seem to pay any attention to Jean and Ghin, silently sitting and panting.

"Shilo here is a rare breed of dog, and Maximo's personal pet. He will assist you. He has been a great help to Maximo, and knows when to react. You should be able to command him without too much trouble. His senses for tracking are great indeed, and once he has the scent of whatever monster is causing the trouble, he can surely lead you to it. Take care of him, and may the gods watch over you." He turns to Shilo and pats its head, "You take care of them Shilo. Maximo's orders."

Baylen turns to walk to the rear, obviously intent on finding Mugen Sho and seeing what has kept him. You are now to make your way to the south, towards the farm.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With a simple motion to follow, Shilo easily follows the two of you as you head for the southern gates. You see a few people meandering the streets in the early morning and the sun is shining brightly, as you can see that it will be a hot day indeed. You also see clouds to the east, over the mountain range, possibly heading this way.

The southern gates are open, with a single guard taking watch. As you pass him, he seems to recognize you, letting you pass without even a notion of interest. As you leave, the creek can be seen following the feet of the mountains to your left. Continuing on your trek, you can see that this south side of Springside is vast, with forests in the distance, trees, brush, and all forms of small animals seen darting around. You continue, walking for at least what seems to you to be half an hour when you start looking to the right, towards where you were told the farm would be. Walking and glancing, Jean finally sees what appears to be a building in the distance, not too far off. Shilo keeps quiet during this walk, and when the animals scitter around, you are sure he is going to bolt after them, but somehow keeps his resolve, staying close to you two, as ordered. When he senses Jean looking to the west, he starts heading in that direction, pausing for a second, waiting for you two to follow. Suddenly, his ears perk, as he turns to the south quickly, jerking his head and eyes, as if he is trying to see something. He starts off towards the south, then hesitates, looking back at the two of you for what seems to be a command.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OOC - If you two want to do any actions/conversation/whatever during the walk, you can post it and I will update. If not, then you are now looking at what appears to be the farm in question, needing to decide on heading there or seeing what Shilo is interested in. Remember, Maximo's orders...

wysiwyg

First Post
Jean Ash, Elven Kensai

Jean strains his elven sight towards the south trying to discern what would grab Shilo's attention. "If there is something dangerous there Shilo, then take us there quickly." Jean is hoping that Shilo can understand him.

Hesseroph

First Post
Ghin Coldstream: One stacked Mule!

*During the trek towards the farm, Ghin attempts to make some idle chit-chat with his new companion Jean. Most of the banter from Ghin consists of semi-preachy convictions stemming from a fiercely overzealos nature. Though quite friendly, his end of the conversations begin to get tedious, tainted by a exceptionally strong fervor. Despite all of this though, he speaks of unquestionable loyalty and a power conviction for good. Many stories of self-sacrificing saints lace his conversational repertoite, often with great emphasis on the dedication to duty and sheer will power of the martyrs. There is also an attempt to befriend the canine through soft words, petting, and sharing a bit of his dry rations with him.*

*Arriving at the site Ghin notices the dogs motions and Jean's request. Readying his shield in his right hand and morningstar in the other he nods towards Jean. A powerful smile crosses his fair face.*

"Well then, that didnt take long did it? Heh! Stay behind me friend as you should to dear dog. I'll flush it out..."

*With that he begings to stride in confidently, alert and ready*

#Unless anyone attempts to take the lead, Ghin strides in (full defense, 5 foot steps)#

Temujin

First Post
Mugen sprints down the building's corridors, trying to reach the gate. I'm already late. he thinks as he turns a corner and arrives at the training area. Looking up he spies Baylen walking away from the main gate while the others chosen can be seen walking away in the distance.

"Sorry I was late sir. Had to braid my hair and gather my belongings." Mugen states, giving his topknot a swift tug and brandishing the whistle his father gave him.

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Temujin said:
Mugen sprints down the building's corridors, trying to reach the gate. I'm already late. he thinks as he turns a corner and arrives at the training area. Looking up he spies Baylen walking away from the main gate while the others chosen can be seen walking away in the distance.

"Sorry I was late sir. Had to braid my hair and gather my belongings." Mugen states, giving his topknot a swift tug and brandishing the whistle his father gave him.
Looking down at the man, Baylen simply shakes his head. "The others are on their way south, catch up with them." Nothing else to say, Baylen walk away.

Gomez

First Post
Seeing the kobolds flee, Gray Sparrow darts after them. She tries to get in front of them to block their excape.

OOC: Gray Sparrow will full move and try to tumble past the kobolds to get just infront of them.

D'Amico Vega

First Post
Darius moves to A6 to prepare a charge on the kobold.

Darius licks his lips menacingly and yells "Join your dead friends by falling to my blade!" He moves his fingers to conjure the spell "True Strike", and his whole body begins pulsing with red energy.

Last edited:

Temujin

First Post
Mugen sprints toward his erstwhile companions, his arms stretched out like a bird. Zigzagging on the path, he slows down as he approaches the two. His arms drop to his sides, and his gait becomes relaxed as he takes up position ten feet behind the two, starting whistling a random tune.

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Nyela yells to the others to stop the fleeing Kobolds, but it is too late, as the run over Nedander, and he falls to the ground. She immediately moves towards the kobolds, hoping to get an attack on them, but with her movement, she was only able to load the sling, and not have enough time to attack. She is now outside of the doorway, between Nedander and the Kobolds.

Kevin, intent on getting this creature of of his arm strikes true, as the chain pierces the thick fur of the beast, making it loosen its grip for a second, and Kevin shakes the creature off. (Rolled 17, HIT, 10 damage causing it to lose its grip) You can see the huge gash in its side, and it seems to look about its area, and then up to Kevin, with gleaming eyes of pure black. Then it growls and jumps at Kevin, again trying to bite at him. (Rolled 19+6=25, hit, 5 Damage) Having tasted blood earlier, the creature is in a frenzy as it latches onto Kevin's arm again, biting down with what seems to be its last surge of strength.

Darius, intent on making sure the kobolds don't get too far, set himself up for a charge, moving to the corner of the room, and chanting a few familiar words that bring a quick surge of power to his fingertips. Moving into the corner again, he notices a small hole in the wall, too small for kobolds, but larger than a rats hole.

Gray Sparrow, having dealt enough damage to the kobolds in her area, runs after the kobolds, nimbly jumping over Nedander, dodging around Nyela, and as she nears the Kobolds, they see her and strike out to her. Somehow, the gods must be watching , as she stumbles on the same object that Nyela tripped over, while the smaller kobold strikes at her, managing a glancing blow, which she absorbs easily. As she keeps her footing, her momentum lunges her forward, not entirely on her own accord, as she rolls past the leader kobold. he sees his opportunity, and strikes with his spear, but only manages to tear into her garments, exposing her skin on her side. (With running, you took a -10 to all tumble checks. You failed both checks, and therfor granted AOO's from the Kobolds, which each took one. Unfortunately, they rolled poorly, 5 and 2, so you therfor managed to make it to block the kobolds retreat.

The kobolds, obviously enraged by the cutoff of their path, decide to strike at the girls, since that is all that they can see. The leader takes a 5 step move, into the corridor that you know not where it leads, and the other smaller kobold moves into the square that the leader was in, causing Gray Sparrow to be cut off from the rest! They seem to be too much in a frantic state, as both of their attacks are wildly swung, and they can not connect.

Nedander spends his move action trying to catch his footing, and now needs to decide what action he will take. Help Kevin with the Dire Weasel intent on taking some life out of Kevin, or help Gray Sparrow, as she seems to be cut off from the rest of the group?

OOC - Good job guys and gals? Hope you are enjoying things! BTW, Kevin did not incur the damage from last round, but since it was my overlook, I am letting it slide...since he has enough to handle right now.

Initiatives
H6 Nedander 7/7
I6 Nyela 7/7
C5 Kevin 3/12
C4 Dire Weasel Very Hurt
A6 Darius 4/4
M6 Gray Sparrow 9/9
M5 Kobold Leader Unhurt
L6 Small Kobold Unhurt

Attachments

• Battle1.jpg
    Battle1.jpg