Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Ulfgeir

Hero
They are also using COBOL......

Well, for what it was designed to do, COBOL was (and might still be) the best language. Yes, it is a very wordy langugae. One very big advantage though is that it is easy to read the code and see what it does. If I recall correctly, at one time it was the langauge with the most lines of code written in it.

When I were studying, I saw a poster where they compared different programming language to cars.
  • Assembler was a dragster. It could only go straight ahead, and only under certain conditions.
  • Pascal was a Volkswagen Beetle
  • ADA was a green Mercedes Benz. If it was good enough for generals, it was good enough for you.
  • Smalltalk was a clown-car with no stearing wheel and no seats. It was not designed to be used by humans.
  • COBOL was the large diesel-powered 18-wheel truck.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I learnt something the other day. The sign language interpreters you see on TV are often deaf. They have a hearing interpreter they can see sending them the signs.

The reasoning is the deaf viewers trust their own more. Also they're more fluid and accurate. They'll wear one color like black to help the hands stand out. Patterns can hide the hands.

Well, for what it was designed to do, COBOL was (and might still be) the best language. Yes, it is a very wordy langugae. One very big advantage though is that it is easy to read the code and see what it does. If I recall correctly, at one time it was the langauge with the most lines of code written in it.

When I were studying, I saw a poster where they compared different programming language to cars.
  • Assembler was a dragster. It could only go straight ahead, and only under certain conditions.
  • Pascal was a Volkswagen Beetle
  • ADA was a green Mercedes Benz. If it was good enough for generals, it was good enough for you.
  • Smalltalk was a clown-car with no stearing wheel and no seats. It was not designed to be used by humans.
  • COBOL was the large diesel-powered 18-wheel truck.
the issue is that COBOL isn't really taught anymore Wanted: People who know a half century-old computer language so states can process unemployment claims

when I took AP programming in high school we did Java,and when my older brother took it he was doing C++. For awhile last year (one month lol) I played around with Python now that's a language that's easy to see what it does.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I'm sure it's been done. I don't think it's been done here, though. How do you think a "Hug" Marry Kill thread for D&D monsters would go over?

Dog Moon

Adventurer
I’m trying to figure out the roll20 website. Making all the characters in it for our game to continue
Yeah, one of my groups ended up using this. None of us have completely transferred our characters online though (used to meet in person with physical character sheets), but that's because we're playing Savage Rifts and roll20 doesn't have appropriate character sheets for it. So we just plugged in the important stuff. Our character sheets are saved in a shared dropbox folder, so though we aren't the type to cheat, he can see our stuff if he needs to.

It's convenient that we don't have to go anywhere, but we all still like gaming in person.

My other group uses Fantasygrounds normally, but the DM has been not really doing anything to keep us playing, so we haven't played on Sundays since we stopped meeting in person. At least we have our Savage Rifts game, so that's cool!

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Legal question; Can I put a quote from a TV show on a tshirt and not have to pay rights for it?

Podcast question; Can I give a rating to a podcast on Stitcher? Most of them direct you to iTunes to give a rating, but I don't use iTunes.

Remove ads