Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I liked the monster manual. I think it's what made me hate it less. I thought things might be easier to DM. I hadn't tried.

One thing I find odd about this game is there are items that require skills to interact with. Thievery, arcane, religion, nature, dungeoneering, or a kit of that skill. If you have these then you can loot whatever is in the item.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
And some holders of IP's are MUCH more likely to think "My precious... Nasty, thieving hobbitses has stolen it" and then go full Smaug on Lake Town than others are. ;)
Yeah, I think it's tricky, depends probably on how much people care. I remember when Carlton from Fresh Prince tried to sue some video game company over his "Carlton Dance" he made famous in that show, but they were like "nope, just dance moves, you don't own those" and dismissed the case.

And I remember hearing Matthew McC (I don't know how to spell his name) specifically copywrote "Alright, alright, alright" so literally no one can use that specific phrase without getting in trouble. I feel if he went to that much trouble, if you used that, he actually WOULD do something about it.

If you wanted to be REALLY safe, you could probably just change one word. I was reading up on patents on clothing and apparently some of that stuff is really tricky. You make a green with some white design. You can't patent every single design, so if a person really wanted to copy your dress, all they had to do was change the color by like 1 shade and the white design ever so slightly and it was technically a new dress.

I know none of that probably helped, hah.

On a side note, my favorite Futurama quote is regarding Slurm: "How does it taste? It varies from person to person."

Dog Moon

Adventurer
4Ed was- for me- nice to play, but I never EVER wanted to DM it.

And as I always said during the old Edition Wars, it alwaysed seemed videogamey to me- but like arcade combat games, not the typical comparisons to MMORPGs others were making.
I always felt that 4e would make the PERFECT tactical rpg, like Final Fantasy Tactics. I mean, movement and powers were already based on squares. I feel like it was a missed opportunity.

Although there were things I did like about 4e. I liked the idea of "at-will" powers, I liked Marking, I liked the Warlord and the Spirit Shaman, I liked the Bloodied State. Now, I don't necessarily agree that these were all done perfectly, but they were neat ideas. I felt like 4e had some interesting ideas on Reactions as well, triggered abilities under certain circumstances.

Overall, my group tried it, but despite some of the neat ideas, we had a negative view towards it. Which is why we went to Pathfinder. And of course with 5e, our group is now split between 5e and Pathfinder. Which is now unfortunate because no matter which game we play, someone isn't going to like it. [Our group has had a 5e campaign running for a while, so have tried Pathfinder 2e, so don't know what people will think about that yet].

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
I remember reading that the phrase ”let’s get ready to rumble” is also copyrighted to that one announcer and he has made good money licensing its use, or something like that.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
A dead enemy in Neverwinter fell onto a table with one leg and arm dangling off one side and a leg dangling off another. In WOW they just fall through objects. Another slumped against a wall.

Remove ads