Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Once, a long time ago, back in the age when people travelled to other places, I visited London and had the best pan pizza I've ever seen or tasted. The thing was as thick as, well, it was thick let me tell you. And soo good. Can't remember the name of the place, but I do remember it was near Trafalgar Square. A quick look at a map tells me there's like twenty pizza places there.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Remember when I mentioned inmates in prisons and jails are at high risk? You should also think about the staff and their families.

GDC Facilities
Staff*
Positive
Staff
Recovered
Offender
Positive
Offender
Recovered
Total Confirmed Cases

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Once, a long time ago, back in the age when people travelled to other places, I visited London and had the best pan pizza I've ever seen or tasted. The thing was as thick as, well, it was thick let me tell you. And soo good. Can't remember the name of the place, but I do remember it was near Trafalgar Square. A quick look at a map tells me there's like twenty pizza places there.
I like a good thick crust.

There was a family-owned place we used to hit back in the late 70’s that had a square, thick crust pizza where the crust was every bit as good as the toppings. The very bottom of it was crisp and fairly buttery, but the upper parts soaked up the (very tasty) sauce like a sponge. I’d have eaten it with just the sauce as an appetizer.

You ate a few pieces of their pizza, you knew you’d had a meal.

That’s my platonic ideal for a thick crust. Sadly, while I’ve had some decent ones since then, nobody has really touched that one.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I remember at a time Little Caesars had a different dough for their deep dish square pizza. The flour was a darker color. At some point while I worked for them they started using the same flour for both styles. I think they also stopped buttering the pan before putting the dough in it. Domino's deep dish was this large round bread that was just tossed in the pan and used. It was like an over weight thin crust.

Scotley

Hero
Don't know if you have Jet's Pizza where you are. The 8 corner pizza they have sounds like what you are describing. They are pretty good as chain pizza places go. They call their thick crust square pizza Detroit style. Jets I realized any chain is going to have a hard time competing with a local artisan place, but it might be similar at least to your childhood memory.

Strangely enough, my favorite pizzas now are an expensive restaurant (19.00 for a large cheese) and the Jiffy Mart Ramutos Oven Baked pizza (1/4 inch thick and sooooo good.)

My preferred place- (great flavor, moderate in cost) is closed for "renovations". The restaurant moved only 4-5 years ago with entirely new ovens and equipment.

Remove ads