Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
On this wackado podcast called Wallbuilders Live I hear this silly story about Private Martin, who no one has a picture of. That was mentioned at the start of the story. Private Martin landed on the beach at Normandy. His unit had 94% casualty rate. Which I took to mean he was the only survivor. He's in the 82nd Airborne, yet he was on a boat at Normandy. Didn't the paratroopers, I don't know, parashoot in? Anyway, he makes it to Battle of the Bulge when a lone tank rolls up on him by himself digging a foxhole. The Sargent on the tank, who is Will Rogers Jr. asks him where the rear is. Private Martin asks him if he's looking for a safe place, to which the Sargent says yes. Martin replies "Well park that thing behind me. I'm with the 82nd and the Germans aren't getting past me." Later a troop carrier comes along and the join this little bulwark against fascism.

I paraphrased it just a little. Maybe livened it up a bit. The point of the story....I'm not sure what the point was. I think to say how all it takes is for one brave person to stand up.

I can't find any information on this. Will Rogers Jr was at the Battle of the Bulge. And he was in a tank division in a tank destroyer. That might have been the only truth in this story. I think it would have been more widely known. Sounds like something that a movie or 3 could be made about. Rogers definitely had the juice to get something like that made if he wanted to. There are so many stories of things that actually happened. Why make one up to fit your purpose?

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
My niece and nephew got me this deck of playing cards. 😍

91u9OS9gjcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Every card has a cute picture of The Child. 😁

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
You can get Funko Pop dolls of Mayor McCheese, Grimace, and the Hamburgler. There better be one for the Fry Guys.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Y’know, while I remember liking a bunch of cartoon/saturday morning show characters and the corporate mascots inspired by them or that were their inspiration, I never really felt the need to collect any of their memorabilia. It’s on area of fandom & collecting that never grabbed me.

I mean...I have a couple of things, but they’re all connected to other collections. Like, I have a small set of TMNT figures, but that’s just because I collect turtles...

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I never thought of it either. I just happened to see them on Amazon and it triggered nostalgia and I thought I'd comment. To me it's kinda also a statement on the breadth of the Funko Pop line. I suspect if we dig deep enough we might find one of ourselves.

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
We had a mouse in the house a few weeks ago. It was alive, but it was clearly not doing well. The cat was having WAY too much fun playing with it. It would limp towards the wall, but then the cat it would bat it away. The mouse would let itself be smacked around for a bit and then attempt to limp away, at which point the cat would knock it back again. I was like damn, that cat is mean. Just finish it already!
Cats love to play with their food, it's really quite cruel. Back when I were a wee lad, we got lots of half-eaten baby rabbits presented to us by our darling moggies, many still alive but with their ears partially chewed off. We loved our cats to bits, but the rabbits were strictly outside fare. One would also hear the baby rabbits screaming in terror from time to time and noting - Tigger got another one.

Sometimes they would get inside and eat the rabbits without being noticed. The only bit they would leave is the caecum, an organ for digesting grass and vegetable matter. They also loved to leave these under my desk for some reason, and occasionally I'd sit down and put my foot in one.

I do miss our pussycats, though.

Remove ads