Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
So... I ended up in the hospital overnight for observation Monday night... :rolleyes:
Awhile back, beginning of last week, my toe started hurting, next day I woke up with a swollen toe and a huge blood blister under the nail. It didn't really get any better as the week went on and the beginning of this week two other toes started getting the same way. I called out of work on Monday to get it checked, spent the whole damn day at the emergency room in the Health Center, then got transferred to the local hospital overnight. Didn't get let out till 2:30 in the afternoon on Tuesday. Since I had a bunch of vacation time I was about to lose, I just took off the rest of the week.

Apparently I have "Covid toes" - not Covid - I tested negative, just Covid toes (it seems to be a somewhat common symptom of Covid)... There are apparently teeny weenie blood clots getting jammed up in the capillaries and causing the swelling and purple spots. It's "most likely" caused by Reynaud's disease, which is when your body overreacts to cold temperatures by constricting your blood vessels too much. I need to call a vascular guy for an appointment to make sure it's not some autoimmune disease or something else...

In the meantime, I'm supposed to pop aspirin every day, keep my feet warm and try not to wear my steel-toed boots any more than necessary. Since the puter is downstairs in my freezing-<bleeping>-cold basement, I'm trying to stay offline, but there's not much else to do around the house that isn't a "downstairs" project (hobby stuff, puter stuff, etc.)...
To have Covid toes you had to have had Covid. At least I thought you did. I have heard of this symptom. The blood clots is what causes some patients to lose limbs and appears to be causing the long term lung issues. Did they test you for antibodies? You may have had it didn't know. Please keep us updated.

I'm worried it might have gotten Scott Dewar. Haven't heard from him or his alt in a long time.

Mad_Jack

Legend
Both Covid tests they did at the hospital turned up negative - apparently I've never had Covid, just bad timing, lol. The fact that I'm experiencing one of Covid's symptoms at the current moment seems to have muddied the waters of my diagnosis for awhile. Now that they've ruled out Covid, they're going through the list of other possible causes.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Have you cooked with alcohol? I wonder if this could be an alternative for that also.

I like mixed drinks and cocktails but don't always care for the burn or taste of the alcohol. I'm very interested in trying this out.
I cook with alcohol quite often! In the right sauce, it could be quite good, and you could add it late because you wouldn’t need to cook off the alcohol itself.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
We did a NYD buffet at our house for dinner, and one of the dishes was new to all of us- Finnish juustoleipa cheese. Medium soft, buttery/salty flavor, and went equally well with salty things like salami or sweet things like fig preserves. Good stuff!

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Ah, juustoleipä, or more correctly leipäjuusto, literally translated a bread made of cheese. I just bought one. I tend to eat it at breakfast on weekends. The kid calls it narskujuusto (squeky cheese) and loves it too.

Last edited:

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
That article misses one tradition. There are some older folk who put diced leipäjuusto in coffee, let them get really soft, drink the coffee, and then eat them with a spoon...

Remove ads