• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Remember when I played an odd sound coming from a radio station? Try this one on for size.
Use car audio or earbuds to get full effect.
1624437097283.jpeg

Aeson

I am the mysterious professor.
I call them, my gherkin sized cucumbers. They may be tiny but they're mine. 🙂
20210624_063326.jpg

The rabbits won't get them all this year. There are a lot more this year too.
20210624_063131.jpg

ScottDeWar_jr

second birthdate : 15 Dec 2011
I will try to explain it this after noon after I get home from work.
ok, here we go. When producing a complex mixed signal, such as what you hear on your AM Radio band, the last stages include a mixing stage. this is where two different frequencies are put through a non- linear device such as a transistor or tube, consisting of an audio signal and a radio frequency.

The output will have 4 frequencies: the two original frequencies, one audio, one radio frequency or RF, and two other signals: Rf + Audio and RF - Audio. These are upper sideband and lower sideband respectively. Your AM radio station transmits a signal consisting of the RF [AKA the carrier], and two sidebands and puts energy into all three frequencies to transmit them.

In single sideband, The RF and unused sideband are all filtered out leaving only the sideband signal to have ALL power applied to it and it can travel much, much, much [ad infinitum] further on the same amount of power.

When receiving the signal, the original carrier is added back in and delt with as a regular am radio signal. HOWEVER, and this is important, if your reciever is not equipped to process a single sideband signal it will sound like that signal you heard.

as for being a radio nerd, yes I am. This is what I did in the USAF - I fixed aircraft radios. This is the very basic of explanations, I hope I made it understandable.

Aeson

I am the mysterious professor.
You're talking AM band. This was a FM band HD station. Would that make a difference? The previous sound was a different HD station, also FM. I understand the HD stations are not on the exact frequency as the main but are close. Other than not having commercials, don't know what else is different.

The reciever is my radio, so is the problem with my radio? If you were tuned to the same would you hear it also? These HD stations are often broadcast in other areas but at different frequencies.

Remove ads