• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Aeson

I am the mysterious professor.
The Kickstarter

Oops, while in the process of accessing my kickstarter account I accidentally reset my nephew's Facebook password. I used my phone number which used to be his number which is linked to his Facebook. 😹

Last edited:

Aeson

It seems to me that difference was approximately 30 people. In a study of over 100k, just over 1000 developed heart disease. I'd like to see a study to determine if the benefit to blood sugar and diabetes outweighs the risk of heart disease.

Ulfgeir

Hero
Well, that was an interesting weekend. Yesterday tried out the quickstart rules for Urban Shadows (2e?). First time I played any PbtA-based game. We probably made lots of mistakes, but we had fun. We will probably not use that for a whole campaign, but the GM is planning on remaking his current campaign in Tianxia: Blood, Jade & Silk into PbtA, as even though he really likes FATE as a sytstem, he feel there are some stuff we cannot really do in FATE.

Then today spent the day at a 3D archery competition. It was rainy, which made this very slippery in the forest with mud. The result was so-so.

And then voted in the Swedish Eeection. They had done some changes to strentgten the secrecy of the votes, but it did cause more queues than usuual. The general idea of it is good, but they need to take some things into consideration next time, to fix those problem. I really really hope we can do without the problems of getting a goverment this time, unlike what we had last election as the result was so tight, and various parties not wanting to talk to each others. I don't hold my breath though. Yeah, I am cynical, but as I did vote, then I am entitled to complain about the results. ;) Yes, it came down to "which party do I dislike the least."

Aeson

What is a PbtA?

I know we're not supposed to talk about politics. We're all grown ups here though. I think we should be able to have some discussions. You mentioned election secrecy. Do you have a party or parties similar to one we have here that talks about election security? Is that what your new measures were about?

Ulfgeir

Hero
What is a PbtA?

I know we're not supposed to talk about politics. We're all grown ups here though. I think we should be able to have some discussions. You mentioned election secrecy. Do you have a party or parties similar to one we have here that talks about election security? Is that what your new measures were about?
PbtA = Powered by the Apocalypse. That is games that uses a system based upon the system from Apocalypse World. In short, Each player has a playbook with specific moves that only their type of character can do. And then there are some basic moves that everyone can do. Roll 2d6 (and if applicable add a value in a "stat"), and on a result of 6 or less, you fail. On a 7-9, you get partial success, and 10+ is complete success.

As for the voter secrecy, it used to be that you either picked up the ballots (as in marked witch witch party you vote for in which election. vote for municipal, regional, and whole country government) from the people that stood outside the election place, and who gave them out , or you took them from a tray inside the election place. The thing was that earlier, people could then technically see which ballots you picked up. You could of course pick up for many parties, and only using the one you really wanted. and since you stuffed that ballot inside a closed envelope so noone could see how you actually voted. You can vote blank as well. The envelope stuffing is done behind a screen. Now they also made so the tray with the ballots inside the voting location was also behind screens. And it was this change that caused more queues, as they wouldn't let more people inside the voting location than there was free spaces behind the screens. The changes was made so you can't get any pushback from picking the wrong ballots, so in that regards good..

And we use paper ballots. No specific party is pushing this. We have a governmental agency of bureaucrats (and volunteers doing the actual counting etc) handling all elections, and they are supposed to be true neutral. This agency is also in charge of establishing who is eligible to vote, and where. They send out the paper authorizing you to vote in advance. Then you present your ID, and the paper to the people in the voting place, and they check that you are you, and that you have not voted before. Then mark which elections you voted for. Each one in a separate envelope (there is a tiny hole so they can see that there is only one ballot in it, and that it is the right colour. So municipal ballots have one colour, regional another, and for the government a third. But they all look the same regardless of which party you vote for.

Edit: There are some extra stuff that you as a voter can do with the ballots. Yes, you can write in names (and choose your preference for one candidate even if he/she would not be eligible due to number of voted). So the fake party "The Donald Duck party" usually gets a bunch of votes every election. It is a legitimate form of protest, but counts as a blank as far as I recall.

Last edited:

Aeson

I don't know if you have a misdemeanor/felony system like we do. Do you allow felons to vote? It's become a huge thing here. In some places they've started to allow felons to vote to varies degrees.

Aeson

Yes, and felons are also allowed to vote..
Are we more the exception than the rule on this?
I've heard many times the US should follow Sweden's criminal justice system. Something needs to be done. Our system isn't working. Do felons lose the right to vote at all? Here as in my state, they have had to finish their entire sentence which might be a combination of decades of prison, parole, and probation. Some states allow it once the felon is on probation.

Ulfgeir

Hero
Are we more the exception than the rule on this?
I've heard many times the US should follow Sweden's criminal justice system. Something needs to be done. Our system isn't working. Do felons lose the right to vote at all? Here as in my state, they have had to finish their entire sentence which might be a combination of decades of prison, parole, and probation. Some states allow it once the felon is on probation.
As far as I can tell, even people currently in prison is allowed to vote, and have been allowed to do so since 1937. Of course not in the voting location, but through mail-order.

Our criminal system is both some level of punishment, and mostly rehabilitation.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads