Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
The Walking Dead filmed an episode at the location the Georgia Renaissance Festival is held. I recognized it right away. I had been there a couple of times. A highlight of the final season. The ending was so disappointing. A show with the cultural impact The Walking Dead had deserved better.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I shared information with my mom from this article. Researchers in 1969 knew if you lose 3% of your body weight, your metabolism slows by 17%.

Her response was: That's someone's opinion.
My response: 😮😯😲😳🥺😖😣😞 It's based on scientific research, it's not opinion.

Why is it so hard for people to accept scientific information?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Why is it so hard for people to accept scientific information?
There’s a lot of research on that, amusingly enough.

First, there’s the deep, strong vein of anti-intellectualism in the USA. There’s fundamental misunderstanding of the scientific process. People don’t understand that the popular use of words like “hypothesis” and “theory” are VERY different from how they get used in scientific discourse. There’s the Dunning-Kreuger effect. There’s distrust in science (both sides, different aspects) sown for political and religious reasons. There’s the psychology of how people react when someone or something challenges a core belief.

Etc.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
It's crazy how much harder people seem to cling to their beliefs when confronted with opposition.
Something else I read earlier was about high fructose corn syrup. I wanted to read into it when someone claimed HFCS caused his high blood sugar. Homemade desserts with sugar didn't. Research doesn't support his statement. Another you could have mentioned is the reliance on anecdote. They're experiences or those of their cousin's brother's sister's uncle's daughter's wife's experience is all the proof they need. Many fail to see the larger picture. Some other thing could be the source of the higher sugar levels.

I have a belief that most of the aggressive drivers are smokers. It's based on my experience. My sister, who is a smoker, disagrees. Yet, it's inevitable when someone cuts me off a cigarette or the smoke from one comes out the driver's window. I know it's not true, but the anecdotal evidence is compelling.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
The article I posted is from a cohost of the You're Wrong About podcast.
They go deep on topics people just think they know. It's humorous and informative.

Remove ads