Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Yesterday my friend from work and I met to drive a new route I plan to start soon. We were going to have lunch first but the place I picked didn't open for another 3 hours.
We drove the route and had a lot of fun talking. We ended up at a different restaurant. By the time I got home I had been awake 23 hours. I slept until I had to go back to work. We got a real late start. I didn't start delivering until 4am. I normally finish then. When I finished my route around 7 I had to go help with another. That took about an hour. I was finished by 9am this morning. I rescued a box turtle from the street. Later I saw a snapping turtle on a different road. I left him where his was. The box turtle I gave to my friend to give to her boys ages 14 and 8. She and the lady we helped deliver the route for named it after me.

She's my boss and we're getting closer. I hope this doesn't bite me in the arse. She's awesome and I don't want to lose the job. Hopefully things only get better from here.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
According to the article, nearly everyone DID do the parenthetical first. So at the very least, the level of math proficiency on THAT part of the equation seemed consistently good.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
The other night I thought I saw a big raccoon. Then I noticed three little faces. It was three little ones jumbled together.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Interesting.

I’m not going to gainsay the mathematician, but I was never taught either acronym, or the left to right convention.

What I was taught was that, the number in front of the parenthetical always applies to the parenthetical. Ditto an exponent, FWIW.) IOW, X(N) is always calculated as a single number first, X times N. Then, if you see something like the problem posited, you read it like a fraction: 8/2(2+2). That can’t be solved as 16, just as 1.

To get 16 out of the 8÷2(2+2) equation, you’d have to read it as (8÷2)(2+2), but that would violate the rule of grouping the parenthetical with its multiplier.

I was taught basically the same. In this equation, (2+2) =4 is figured first, then 2*(4)=8, 8/8=1. no compromise. it was a hard and fast rule.

Remove ads