Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I’ve read almost all of the Diskworld books, and while the trailer looks like they captured some of the spirit of the source material, they somehow seemed to feel the need to “freshen” it with a slightly more urban visual aesthetic. It’s not necessarily bad, but it is a bit of a jarring dissonance if you’re a fan. At least, it is for me. Which is why I’ve been recording it but not watching it, so far.

Mad_Jack

Legend
Having never read the books, The Watch definitely looks like it'd be a fun show. I've also never been one to avoid a show or movie simply because they made a few minor changes in the name of adapting a property to a new medium. I can still enjoy it on its own merits as a program even if it only bears a passing resemblance to the source material.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
BBQ nachos with pork.

20210224_203923.jpg

Onions and peppers added at last minute.

20210224_210548.jpg

Dog Moon

Adventurer
From what I've read it sounds good. Reviews are poor though. Since I don't know the source material I might think better of it. I don't have BBC America I would have to stream it elsewhere.
I enjoyed, but I am also not familiar with the source material. From what little reading I've done regarding the show, it seems like one of those shows where people who ARE familiar likely won't like it while those who ARE NOT are much more likely to enjoy it.

My biggest complaint was how it ended. I DESPISE cliffhangers. Now, the show itself is basically complete even if it doesn't get renewed. It wraps things up decent... but then it pulls one final little thing at the very end to make you go "oh, it isn't over yet!" Except it might be. It might not be renewed. Which means we'll never find out. They couldn't have just ended it. Be happy. And then if season 2 does get approved, they can begin that episode with that little thing.

I can tell you where my dislike for this started. The Pretender. I enjoyed that show so much back in the day. Then it got cancelled at the end of the 4th season. Left on cliffhanger. Didn't solve the point of the show. Oh, then nice, got picked up for a 2-hour movie. Watched 2-hour movie. Started right where the show left off. Not quite a cliffhanger, but certainly didn't solve things. Oh, then nice, a SECOND 2-hour movie. Watched 2-hour movie. Again, not quite a cliffhanger, but still didn't solve things. No more movies. Seriously, people, that second movie should have wrapped up the show. Maybe it couldn't have solved every question, but it should have wrapped up the show. That's the kind of crap you get when you have cliffhangers and stupid crap like that.

Whew, sorry about the rant! But that felt good. :)

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Okay that actually looks cool. The Death at the end of the trailer was a nice touch. I really want more Discworld adaptations. I have Colour of Magic and Hogfather on dvd and those animations from a while back, but it really deserves more.
Death was funny. He was sooooo lonely! There was one part that made me laugh hysterically. Maybe I laughed more than I should have, but I thought it was funny.

Spoiler:
Death: Will you let me join your band.
Vimes: Oh piss off, death.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Death is the absolute best character in Discworld. And the best book in the series is Reaper Man, which is all about Death. Most of the Death books are pretty much stand alones so you can read those without knowing much of the series.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I am aware of Discworld. I think I've seen one of the animated movies. I remember something about Death taking a vacation or something. I want to say I read one of the books. It's been a long time.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases