• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Harassment in gaming

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
First, it was the essayist that wrote: " I have no way of knowing whether the person with whom I’m gaming is safe or the person who wants to...", and the rest censored out. So yes, as a white male, she puts the burden on me to prove I'm safe and not what she now (perhaps understandably) first assumes of all white men she is with.
News flash: it isn't just women eying white guys with suspicion.

I'm a black male born in Louisiana and living in Texas. Have done most of my life. Some of my hobbies- gaming, going to heavy metal concerts, etc- are extremely Caucasian-centric. While I'm a pretty easy going guy and like to think the best of people, I would be lying to you if I told you that I don't become more hyper-alert around unfamiliar white males than around any other group. I don't live in fear, but I do live with caution.

I usually can't just look at a white dude and tell if he's racist unless he's being obvious about it. I don't think all white guys are neo-Nazis & klansmen- quite the opposite, I think most people AREN'T racists, even white guys- but I can't simply dismiss the possibility that the ones I'm just meeting might be. Like the old Russian proverb, "Trust, but verify."

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So yeah my experiences have taught me to be a little wary. Is that really surprising?

Not at all. It is pervasive.

There's a major car commercial on the airwaves right now, in which they boast of the car's "teen driver technology". In one version of the commercial, a middle-aged man asks the company representative, "Will it tell me how many boys get in the car with my daughter?" This is supposed to be a throwaway, comedic line, to make the people examining the car seem human.

But think about that for a second - the father's major concern about his girl driver is her interaction not with the car, or the road, or other drivers, but with boys. The boys are a hazard that should be monitored, that she needs to be protected from.

Balesir

Adventurer
Do you consider yourself a "white male terrorist"?
I hate to be picky on this, but I didn't read that there at all - I read the claim that there is a "white male terrorism problem" in gaming, and I think that is absolutely supportable.

Just as with other "forms" of terrorism, a significant part of what supports and sustains the terrorism is the unchallenged belief among the real terrorists that they have a passively supportive "culture" or constituency that they are the (possibly somewhat outspoken and aggressive) warriors for. In this fantasy, they may be more outspoken than the rest, but they are just the assertive section of this supposed "culture" that are "standing up for the rights" of the group as a whole.

In this sense, the problem indeed is with all (white) males*. Unless all of us (I am male, and white) make it crystal clear that the only "culture" that we belong to is one that includes all of the people in this hobby, and that there is a place for you in this culture if and only if you treat them all with respect and consideration, then the hobby will continue to have such a problem. We have to deny the idea that there is a "white male culture" that is somehow benefitted by misogynistic actions and/or that silently condones and protects those who engage in them, or we give succour to the phenomenon and perpetuate it.

So, I see no claim that "all white males are terrorists", here. I see a claim that there is a problem with the (perceived) existence of an exclusive "white male culture" that condones and protects misogynists. And I think that claim is accurate. The solution is to make it cease to be so.

*: I use parentheses here because I'm not convinced that, for the specific issue of sexism, the "white" bit is terribly relevant. For the racist issue, on the other hand, I'm not sure the "male" bit is all that germane, either, so it's not a big deal.

MechaPilot

Explorer
Not at all. It is pervasive.

There's a major car commercial on the airwaves right now, in which they boast of the car's "teen driver technology". In one version of the commercial, a middle-aged man asks the company representative, "Will it tell me how many boys get in the car with my daughter?" This is supposed to be a throwaway, comedic line, to make the people examining the car seem human.

But think about that for a second - the father's major concern about his girl driver is her interaction not with the car, or the road, or other drivers, but with boys. The boys are a hazard that should be monitored, that she needs to be protected from.

I have a theory about that. I've speculated before that some fathers of daughters are overprotective when it comes to boys because of their own past. They recall the things they did with/to the women they've been with and have an aversion to considering boys doing those things to their daughters.

On a more practical front, there's also the pregnancy concern. Nothing says kiss your career and education goals goodbye like an unwanted and unprepared for pregnancy, especially a teen pregnancy, and most especially when the father doesn't want any part of raising the kid or supporting the kid and/or the mother. And that doesn't even touch the financial and other strains on the rest of the family, who the teen mother will have to rely upon for at least some of her and her child's support.

MechaPilot

Explorer
First, it was the essayist that wrote: " I have no way of knowing whether the person with whom I’m gaming is safe or the person who wants to...", and the rest censored out. So yes, as a white male, she puts the burden on me to prove I'm safe and not what she now (perhaps understandably) first assumes of all white men she is with. And likewise, yes, the article is a call to assume the worst of all white men until they prove otherwise that they are "safe". And many in this conversation have read or treated it as such, even going so far as to assert that denial was proof of guilt. Celebrim wrote that and I had to get up walk away after reading it to think of way to respond.

I was livid at first at his complete blindness of what it means to be a woman then I calmed down and realized well he is a man and his experiences will be very different than mine. You see women are taught from the time they are children that we need to be wary of men we don't know that we need to protect ourselves from being raped. We are taught not to meet a strange guy any other place than a public one and to make sure someone knows where we are. We are taught to watch our drinks and never take one from a stranger. We are taught to use the buddy system we we go to bars and never drink with men you don't now and if we break that rule and get raped then a lot of people including women believe you asked for it by not being more careful.

That's very true. I think a lot of men don't understand the rules that women get raised with. While the vast majority of men are not criminals who are going to sexually violate a woman, the truth is that any man a woman meets could be such a person, and that women are taught to be cautious. Rightfully so. After all, if you get mugged you can always cancel your credit cards and earn back the money you lost, but a victim of sexual assault can never be un-assaulted. She can try to overcome the trauma, probably through expensive therapy and a significant investment of time and effort, but it's going to have devastating effects on her personal relationships, especially relationships with a husband or boyfriend, where sex is a generally expected part of the relationship (and that doesn't even address issues that arise when disease or pregnancy results from the assault).

And the blame aspect that you mentioned is especially shameful. We don't accuse mugging victims of flaunting their wealth, or carjack victims of driving too nice a car, or home invasion victims of having too nice a home. And even if we did, that would in absolutely no way hold water as any kind of judicial escape hatch for the mugger, carjacker, or home invader. However, when it comes to victims of sexual harassment or violence both men and women on juries are often swayed, or at least influenced, by the victim's attire, sexual history, etc.

Elf Witch

First Post
That's very true. I think a lot of men don't understand the rules that women get raised with. While the vast majority of men are not criminals who are going to sexually violate a woman, the truth is that any man a woman meets could be such a person, and that women are taught to be cautious. Rightfully so. After all, if you get mugged you can always cancel your credit cards and earn back the money you lost, but a victim of sexual assault can never be un-assaulted. She can try to overcome the trauma, probably through expensive therapy and a significant investment of time and effort, but it's going to have devastating effects on her personal relationships, especially relationships with a husband or boyfriend, where sex is a generally expected part of the relationship (and that doesn't even address issues that arise when disease or pregnancy results from the assault).

And the blame aspect that you mentioned is especially shameful. We don't accuse mugging victims of flaunting their wealth, or carjack victims of driving too nice a car, or home invasion victims of having too nice a home. And even if we did, that would in absolutely no way hold water as any kind of judicial escape hatch for the mugger, carjacker, or home invader. However, when it comes to victims of sexual harassment or violence both men and women on juries are often swayed, or at least influenced, by the victim's attire, sexual history, etc.

I know that the majority of men are not rapists but and yes there is a but I still worry about having a repair man in if I am home alone or seeing a man I don't recognize out and about when I am walking my dogs especially if it is late. And I feel some anxiety when I have been broken down or had a flat tire and a man stops to render assistance.

As a mother of a son who is now an adult I admit that it hurts my heart to think that some woman out there might look at him in fear. He is a big guy 6 2 and burly. I know he would never in a million years assault a woman.

I don't think this will ever change because I think there will always be be twisted monsters who prey on other people.

What men need to take from this is an understanding of why women are like this and instead of getting offended by it and taking the attitude of why do I have to make an effort to prove I am one of the good guys they show some patience and give us a chance to know they are one of the good guys.

Celebrim

Legend
Is it surprising that you'd be wary around strangers, and especially around strange men? Not at all. Seems completely reasonable to me. But as I said from the beginning, I'm also not at all surprised that we are just talking past each other on this.

I tried very hard to forestall this walling off response, about how I didn't understand what it was like to be a woman where that was made the substance of the rebuttle of what I said, or the whole of the understanding of it. And, sure, in the sense that I was watching rather than participating when my children were born, there are some experiences unique and particular to being a woman that are quite beyond my imagination to grasp. But it's not that sort of experience we are talking about. Despite my many asides to concede the reasonableness that being a woman might give you a different perspective, here we are. So let's take this more directly head on.

It's not beyond a man's capacity to walk a mile in a woman's shoes or visa versa. Men and women are gifted with fantastic imaginations, and intellects, and likewise we also share in common experiences of being marginalized, of being threatened, of being victimized, of being bullied, of being harassed, and in some cases of being brutalized. What is needed is more discussion over what we have in common, rather more lines drawn around us to separate us into little tribes.

I'm well aware of what women are taught and arguably need to be taught about being safe around men, and avoiding being alone with strange men, and so forth. I have to do the job of teaching it.

You managed to make yourself livid over your assumption of my blindness despite all the effort I took to forestall that by admitting that we had very different experiences, and in part that those experiences were because I was a man. All that was admitted up front. And her anger and suspicion of me and anyone that looks like me were conceded as reasonable from her background many times in my writing. There is I admit truth to the fact that people can come from different places, and experience different things. And while there is some truth to the statement that we can never know exactly what it is like to be someone else, I firmly believe that it is also true that that is not an absolute barrier to our compassion and understanding of one another. And I likewise believe that it is good to act on the hope that other can relate and sympathize with our struggles and our difficulties and all the hardships we've endured as people, not merely as men or women.

I really wish she had not used the term white male terrorist because it has clouded the conversation.

I do too.

But I understand why she did it.

I do too, and said as much.

When you have been marginalized or harassed...

Ultimately, it doesn't matter why you've been marginalized and harassed. It doesn't hurt less to get marginalized and harassed because you are a woman or because you are autistic nerdy white boy with a deep tan and a Caribbean accent in a rural Southern town where many people have never had the resources to go more than 30 miles from where they were born. The majority is just whoever outnumbers you, which when you are in a community of one, is everybody. And privilege and protection is not something that is particular to a skin color, but can be simply just being the popular kid. Telling someone about privilege of being white or male while they are getting kicked bloody by a half dozen black men four to six years older than you simply because they've been taught to feel threatened by white people, and maybe even with legitimate reason, but this is a scrawny white kid no body will protect who they can take that frustration out on.

You see this kind of thing when a person of color who speaks up about the racism they have faced and uses the term white people instead of some white people. Instead of just looking at the person experience many feel the need to defend the people who are not like this.

Then maybe they should look at the person. I hear from black people from privileged backgrounds about the sort of racism they endured - the looks they receive, or the jokes that they've heard, and so forth. And I'm sure it hurts. I can sympathize. My sympathy gets strained when they start talking about those minor incidents as evidence that they need more privilege, or evidence that I could never understand the pain that they experience from taunting, especially from people who tell me they've never actually been the victims of violence but live in continual fear of it. I tend to start thinking its not my imagination that is actually limited by experience here.

If you are not a racist, sexist jerk then why do you feel the need to defend and deflect from the point being discussed?

Because it's wrong. And it's not merely wrong, but it's destructive and dangerous, and needs to be challenged. And disagreement with you might make me an insensitive jerk, I'm hardly the best at social skills, but any jerkiness on my part isn't directed especially at women or minorities.

Don't expect my challenging things that need to be challenged to be limited to just those things you think need to be challenged.

As a white person I had to develop a thicker skin when reading stories of racism. My first inclination was to defend myself and say I am not like that not all white people are like that. Then I realized no one is saying that we are and anyone who actually believes that has a lot of anger and bigotry of their own that need to work through.

You really think no one says that all whites are racists? Or that no one believes that? I grant the majority of black people don't believe that, but many do. I mean, I've had a black friend of mine get involved with a church that taught the theology that white people were the creation of the devil and they didn't actually have souls. And he believed it, to the extent that it made him sad that I couldn't go to heaven.

You don't have to go far to find many people arguing that all white people are racists. You don't have to go far to find people arguing that black people can't be racists.

You think I haven't developed thick skin? You think my experiences haven't left me wary?

Why don't we focus on what we have in common instead of assuming we just can't possibly understand each other?

I am a little worried that I might be harassed that I will have to deal with subtle sexism in the form of a DM or other players ideas of the realistic way to show a female PC. I have seem one to many times rape used as backstory or hinted at to outright described by DMs who some how don't know better or can't grasp why a female player may not want to deal with that in game. Then there are the DMs who feel the need to stick a female PC who is sexually active with a pregnancy. Unless the player is interested in that why go there? I have had arguments with DM on this with them taking the stand that since it is not a technological world there is no birth control. I have even had an argument with a GM in Shadowrun over this with him saying no birth control is 100%.

That probably made you feel uncomfortable. We can talk about those specific issues, but is there really a point in talking about them until we get passed this idea we live in such different worlds that we can't see anything from the other's point of view? Or we can sit here and debate whose victimization gives us the most authority to tell everyone that disagrees with us to shut up because they just can't possibly understand.

Celebrim

Legend
I'll back you up there- I have some family members of that mindset.:(

You said you were from LA? I had some players driving up from N'awlins for open gaming night at Little Wars in Baton Rouge? Any chance you were one of them? If you were, I apologize for killing your character off brutally and unfairly. In my defense, it had nothing to do with your skin color. I did that to everyone. I distinctly remember that the guy who died 5 minutes into one game from a Symbol of Fear (no save) that panicked his character into a rolling boulder trap was white.

DM Howard

Explorer
I have become very aware of the types of sexism and harassment that she talks about in her article. To cut a long story short my wife is suffering with PTSD due to an attack that happened to her when she was working over the summer in college. This experience has really turned up my sensitivity dial to 11 and I am starting to adjust my behavior to account for things that, as a man, I don't tend to think of as a big deal. This is a problem overall, I wouldn't just point the finger at the gaming community, but I think it is so extreme (and surprising), because gamers tend to be (but not all mind you) social outcasts, nerds, geeks, bookworms, etc.

Remove ads