Harassment in gaming

Quartz

Hero
I've only read the first two pages, but let me ask what I hope is a pertinent question: is this a RPG thing or a male thing? Could you replace 'roleplaying' with any other male-dominated activity - for example 'football' - and get the same activities and issues?

Indeed, could you replace 'roleplaying' with a female-dominated activity and get the same or similar activities and issues but with men as the targets?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I've only read the first two pages, but let me ask what I hope is a pertinent question: is this a RPG thing or a male thing? Could you replace 'roleplaying' with any other male-dominated activity - for example 'football' - and get the same activities and issues?

Sadly, yes, in all probability.

Indeed, could you replace 'roleplaying' with a female-dominated activity and get the same or similar activities and issues but with men as the targets?

From what I know, yes...and again, the majority of the victimizers are male.

Springheel

First Post
Now, it helps on En World that we have actual records - they can read the posts.

Would you prefer the mods act when something is reported without reading the offending posts? That's the equivalent of "ask no questions".

And you don't have to look very far to find real life examples of people abusing such systems. Facebook automatically shuts down pages that get a certain number of complaints for "bullying" or "harrassment", and people routinely use this to try and silence people who are expressing opinions they don't agree with (there seem to be plenty of people who can't or won't separate "disagreement" from "harrassment").

Taneras

First Post
I want to make sure I understand you here: if a woman can't produce evidence of harassment or abuse while at a gaming venue, she should not be believed?

I'm speaking about people, both men and women. I never said that it was solely the victims responsibility to bring forth evidence. The staff could see if there are any witnesses, check camera footage (if its at a store/event with a camera), perhaps see if there are any other complaints about that specific person from others. There's a whole lot of area between "I totally believe you" and "I'm positive you're lying".

Moreover I want to stress what started this particular discussion - Hussar's claim that we need to instantly believe the person claiming they've been harassed or was offended and not ask any questions.

Snipping text is a way of reducing the footprint of a quote, so that readers don't have to scroll through a fat portion of text that's already been posted, just to get to the new response (something some folks around here are really bad about).

Just so we're clear, you snipped 2 sentences out of 6 or 7 sentences which coincidentally were very important to the distinctions I was making. I wasn't typing a novel, that response was 5 lines in total.

As to your question: for two long threads now you've continually brought up examples of women supposedly pulling the same kind of objectionable behavior that men undertake, and then advised that we all remain skeptical of claims of harassment (or worse) from women.

I'm fairly sure that the aforementioned rape/sexual assault case against the Canadian musician was the only specific example I've brought up and I've made it clear that the majority of the harassment is coming from men. Maybe there was a second that I can't recall, but that hardly constitutes "continually". You're using strong language to try and fan the flames. The harassment problem is endemic to the table top community, I'm continually bringing up instances of women doing bad things, etc.

Look, some women engage in harassing behavior. And some women experience harassment and sexual abuse at Cons. These are two different categories of people. No, really, they are in fact two different categories. Could there be overlap between them? Sure. However, by likening one group with the other to the point that you would advise Con staff be skeptical of claims of harassment, you are suggesting the area of overlap is extensive.

I agree. I've hardly touched on the aspect of women doing the harassing because the majority comes from men, and I've stated that repeatedly in the previous thread. Where did you get the idea that I was trying to over inflate the women harassers to posit an extreme overlap?

Worse, the more you press your argument, the more you erode the idea that a woman's word, by itself, is good enough to merit immediate and swift action by staff to correct a problem.

This line of reasoning seems dishonest, as I've made it crystal clear that what I'm advocating would apply both to men and women and here you are, with bolding text no less, painting my statements as if they're only applying to women. You've also switched up the argument here, we were talking about whether to believe the victim solely on their own word, now you've moved it to "swift action". I've said that I wasn't against separating the people involved, that's swift action. I'm perfectly ok with the staff being skeptical but still looking into the matter by questioning potential witnesses, looking at film, or keeping track of who's complaining against who and looking for patterns, that's swift action.

Please try and accurately represent what I'm saying.

We're long past the point of asking this question. Harassment and abuse of women in gaming is a major problem. The majority of harassers are male.

I understand the apprehensiveness to bring up something that's been settled, so perhaps you can point me to the discussion where this "harassment is endemic to the table top community" was established so I can look at both sides of the argument and decide for myself?

And I do agree that harassment is a problem, one instance is one too many and constitutes a problem. I agree that a sizeable portion of it is directed at women, and I agree that the majority of the harassers are male. I'm only questioning the "endemic" comment. Just like the 1:5 rape statistics on college campuses actually being 1:52, perhaps this problem is also being over exaggerated.

In other words, reduce the value of the voice of people who are harassed. This means the value of a woman's voice is reduced, because women are the subject of the majority of harassment.

*Sexual harassment*. If the tabletop community is the same as the gaming community or the internet as a whole, males receive more harassment overall than females. Females have higher complaints of stalking and sexual harassment, but overall males report higher harassment when looking at all types of harassment.

Moreover, while his example did specify women nothing else in his post did. His remedy to "Leave nothing up to the interpretation of the person making the complaint." was because "people" (not just women) would abuse it. Notice he specified "person" that was making the complaint, and not "woman". After the example he mentioned "people" 4 times and didn't mention gender a single time. I won't speak for him, but nothing he said necessitates that he was saying what you're suggesting he said. Perhaps that's how he feels, but you can't pull that from what he's said so far.

Your arguments and Rygar's argument merely work to reduce the voice of women in gaming. They also serve to drive women from this website.

No, your strong language and mischaracterization is. The harassment of women is endemic to the tabletop community, people who caution the idea that we should instantly, and unquestioningly, believe all harassment claims are actually people who just want to diminish the voices of women, posters are "continually" bringing up supposed harassment enacted by women to water down the issue, etc.

Last edited:

tomBitonti

Adventurer
But, there's the issue right there.

1. FLGS's most certainly won't have security. So, the person who has to deal with any complaints is likely the manager/owner. It's simply not his job to assign blame or determine the truth. It doesn't matter. His job is to find a solution that won't cost him business and makes everyone as happy as they can possibly be in this situation.

2. Most Con's are too small to have actual security. Sure, Gen Con or whatnot, where you have thousands of attendees, fair enough. But a local con with a couple of hundred attendees? Not a chance. Plus it's not a security guard's job to investigate. That's not what he's there for. He's there to provide security. By and large, any complaint of harassment isn't going to be handled by a security guard, it's going to be handled by the Con manager(s). And, again, their job is not to assign blame or determine the truth. Their job is to make the Con go smoothly and make everyone as happy as they can possibly be in this situation.

Focusing on just this part of the post.

A FLGS which conducts public events has a responsibility to handle the public. Heck, any business which has the public in through the day has to handle the public. The ability is a job requirement. And especially, say, is a store has a game room.

A few hundred people is a large enough size that having a plan to manage order is necessary. There will be folks at the entrance, and I would expect the local police have been informed about the gathering and check in now and again. The folks who run the facility would probably themselves have a couple of guards on hand. I can't imagine a proprietor renting out the facility without requiring a security plan.

In either case, I would expect a policy and a plan for managing disturbances.

Thx!
TomB

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Sadly, yes, in all probability.

From the (admittedly informal) numbers I have seen, the gaming community comes off slightly worse than the world as a whole. That may or may not be statistically relevant, due to the informal nature of the numbers we have.

However, if we are going to view this as a community, there are social ties we could use to make it *better* than the surrounding world, if we wanted.

Quartz said:

I'm going to guess that, on the subject of sexual harassment, no. I don't think that you'd find women groping men as often as men do the same to women, for example.

Last edited:

Rygar

Explorer
I understand the apprehensiveness to bring up something that's been settled, so perhaps you can point me to the discussion where this "harassment is endemic to the table top community" was established so I can look at both sides of the argument and decide for myself?

And I do agree that harassment is a problem, one instance is one too many and constitutes a problem. I agree that a sizeable portion of it is directed at women, and I agree that the majority of the harassers are male. I'm only questioning the "endemic" comment. Just like the 1:5 rape statistics on college campuses actually being 1:52, perhaps this problem is also being over exaggerated.

*Sexual harassment*. If the tabletop community is the same as the gaming community or the internet as a whole, males receive more harassment overall than females. Females have higher complaints of stalking and sexual harassment, but overall males report higher harassment when looking at all types of harassment.

Moreover, while his example did specify women nothing else in his post did. His remedy to "Leave nothing up to the interpretation of the person making the complaint." was because "people" (not just women) would abuse it. Notice he specified "person" that was making the complaint, and not "woman". After the example he mentioned "people" 4 times and didn't mention gender a single time. I won't speak for him, but nothing he said necessitates that he was saying what you're suggesting he said. Perhaps that's how he feels, but you can't pull that from what he's said so far.

I'll specifically state that so there is no confusion. People, not women, not minorities, people. In fact, from what I've seen the biggest abusers of "Harassment!" come from men characterizing anyone who disagrees with a woman as "Harassment" so that they can then white knight them.

I'll also point out, as someone who spent 15 years working in a female dominated field, harassment and sexual harassment are far from the sole domain of men. I'll also definitively state from past experiences, if you're male in a female dominated field you are screwed. No one is going to stop it, or even listen to you about it, or if they do they're going to blame you for it because you're male. Least of all the political activists.

To be very blunt, anyone who enters this conversation thinking it's about women have no idea what harassment really is. Harassment is something that happens to *people*.

Hussar

Legend
Focusing on just this part of the post.

A FLGS which conducts public events has a responsibility to handle the public. Heck, any business which has the public in through the day has to handle the public. The ability is a job requirement. And especially, say, is a store has a game room.

A few hundred people is a large enough size that having a plan to manage order is necessary. There will be folks at the entrance, and I would expect the local police have been informed about the gathering and check in now and again. The folks who run the facility would probably themselves have a couple of guards on hand. I can't imagine a proprietor renting out the facility without requiring a security plan.

In either case, I would expect a policy and a plan for managing disturbances.

Thx!
TomB

I highly, highly doubt you have hired security for small con's. Sure, you probably have someone at the door taking tickets, but, beyond that, not much if anything at all. We're talking a con run at a hotel convention room - that sort of thing. So, no video surveillance, probably little or no security beyond the people running the convention itself. Would you expect local police to check in at every convention held at a hotel? I certainly wouldn't. And how many hotels have hired security? Maybe a guy in the back watching cameras, if that.

A couple of hundred people isn't exactly a big gathering. Heck, that's a wedding reception. Would you expect police presence and security guards at a wedding reception? Have you ever seen them? ((Ok, maybe police, but, that's usually after a call to the police.))

-----------

And, again, sure, it sucks to be singled out by the management after a complaint. But, let's keep this in context. Person makes a complaint saying Bloggins is making inappropriate comments. It's the only complaint about Bloggins. And the person making the complaint doesn't really specifically state what Bloggins said. Is the management going to eject Bloggins? No, of course not. Maybe first they hang out around Bloggins for a few minutes to see if he says anything, then they simply inform him (quietly) that there has been a complaint and could he please watch what he says.

How is this a problem?

If the complaint is bogus, then there won't be any other complaints and, well, the problem goes away. If the complaint is real and Bloggins stops, then success! We stopped the harassment. If the complaint is real and then other complaints come in, well, then we take further action. But, at no point should your first question be, "Well, did he harass you enough that I should take action?" Which is precisely what questioning the complaining person is doing. I most certainly don't want some person trying to determine, in the chaos of a Convention whether or not he should have a quiet word with that dude that's telling dead baby jokes. Just do it. Go, have a word, err on the side of caution. If someone has actually, in person, taken the time to make a complaint, odds are, they are not targeting some random dude at a convention for the fun of it.

Is it possible that a complaint might be fabricated? Yup, it's possible. But, what's more likely? That some woman, completely at random, singles out some dude for a harassment complaint at a gaming convention, or that some dude actually did say something inappropriate? "Oh, well, all he's doing is telling dead baby jokes, just avoid him, he does that" is the wrong answer.

Remove ads