• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Harassment in gaming

Darkwing Duck

First Post
Wowzer. Checked back in after a week or so. Still not talking about harassment, I see.

The writer of the original letter sabotaged any attempt at a civil discussion when she chose to use the bigoted language she did.

I believe we could have a civil discussion on harassment if people stopped trying to defend her actions. What she did was wrong. It was inexcusable. It was needlessly inflammatory. Now, let it lie dead in the past and move on to a decent discussion of harassment, one which doesn't try to excuse away calling people "terrorist" and "coward".

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The writer of the original letter sabotaged any attempt at a civil discussion when she chose to use the bigoted language she did.

I believe we could have a civil discussion on harassment if people stopped trying to defend her actions. What she did was wrong. It was inexcusable. It was needlessly inflammatory. Now, let it lie dead in the past and move on to a decent discussion of harassment, one which doesn't try to excuse away calling people "terrorist" and "coward".

Didn't you say that before, like a billion times? We get it. Repetition doesn't increase our understanding of your opinion of her language. We didn't fail to understand you the first, second, or tenth time. Nobody is in the slightest doubt about your repeatedly explained position on that subject. You've been absolutely, explicitly, repeatedly clear. Over and over and over and over and over and over again. Frankly, you're taking boredom to an extreme I've never encountered. How many times can one person say the same thing? Dude, you're boring.

We get it. Now let's talk about harrassment. Please? We're 700 posts in. We know your delicate feelings were hurt by the heading used by a blogger. Are the rest of us allowed to talk about harassment yet? Please? Can we consider your hurt feelings stated and acknowledged, and not in need of further repetition? Can we please talk about harrassment now? Please?

If not, then I'll take the effort to split the posts about a blogger's writing style into its own thread, and you can repeat yourself to your heart's content. I'd rather not do the work, but if you insist that the subject be discussed further, that seems like the way ahead.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Are you gonna talk about me or focus on harassment?

Well, if you're gonna insist on throwing down a gauntlet - we're gonna talk about harassment.

If you - or anyone else - wish to talk about the blogger's writing style, please start your own thread about the subject. You are welcome to discuss it, but not to continue to hijack this thread with it. As of this point, discussion of the blogger's writing style of choice of headline belongs elsewhere. Thanks for making that easy for me.

Darkwing Duck

First Post
If you - or anyone else - wish to talk about the blogger's writing style, please start your own thread about the subject.

Since the discussion was about her letter, discussing her letter, as I did, wasn't hi-jacking anything.
I'm quite happy to change the topic from her letter to harassment in general. I said we can treat the letter as a dead thing in the past.
But, here you are again, discussing me rather than harassment.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Since the discussion was about her letter, discussing her letter, as I did, wasn't hi-jacking anything.
I'm quite happy to change the topic from her letter to harassment in general. I said we can treat the letter as a dead thing in the past.
But, here you are again, discussing me rather than harassment.

And there you go, arguing about moderation in-thread, which is clearly against the rules you agreed to. Do not post again in this thread. Everyone else, feel free to discuss harassment in this thread, or someone's choice of headline in a new thread.

Darkwing Duck

First Post
And there you go, arguing about moderation in-thread, which is clearly against the rules you agreed to. Do not post again in this thread. Everyone else, feel free to discuss harassment in this thread, or someone's choice of headline in a new thread.

You've been arguing about moderation for a long time here. And you don't own this thread.
Now, are you going to keep talking about _me_ or are you going to talk about harassment? Your actions are saying that you don't want to talk about harassment.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You've been arguing about moderation for a long time here. And you don't own this thread.
Now, are you going to keep talking about _me_ or are you going to talk about harassment? Your actions are saying that you don't want to talk about harassment.

Sigh. Escalation McEscalationface. Your call. See you in a week, if you decide to return (although not to this thread, as you were asked to leave it).

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Dude...
1310561236052.jpg

DOTTIE

First Post
You're blaming the victim.

The way you "respect men" is by treating them with the same human dignity that you would expect for yourself. The notion that you have to dress like a nun to protect men from falling to their own raging desires is disrespectful to men because it treats them as if they were unable to resist turning into rape-monsters when they see an attractive woman.

Also, leaning over a table is not "taking a provocative stance." It's often an integral part of playing a game. In any game that uses miniatures, it's a practical necessity to get a good look at the battlefield before taking your turn, and that can certainly mean having to lean over the table. I've often had to lean over tables to play Risk, Axis & Allies, Shogun, Chess, and TTRPGs where minis were used for combat encounters, and I never did it with the intent of showing off anything other than my skill at playing those TTRPGs/board-games.

The wearing of a skirt is also a total non-issue. Skirts cover far more than bikinis, and men can be around women in bikinis without suddenly transforming into rape-hungry tentacle monsters. And if you want to talk conservatism of dress, skirts are part of the uniform for attending certain religious schools, not to mention them being part of the uniform for a vast number of non-religious schools. Most skirts are not micro- or mini-skirts. Most skirts are knee-length and allow a fair amount of lean to occur before any glimpse of panty is visible.

First, I didn't say anything about men becoming rape monsters. That is crazy!

If a game calls upon players to lean over a table, why would you wear a skirt for that?

Gaming is definitely a male-dominated hobby, but that doesn't exclude anyone. There is every reason to expect the people there to be courteous, and respectful back to you if you are courteous and respectful to them.

That's all I can say now. I'll try to get back to this later.

Remove ads