• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hardness/Hit points of epic magic items

Zad

First Post
I was going through the ELH and was surprised that there was no particular mention of the hardness or hit points of epic magic items. It seems pretty reasonable to me that such items would be much harder to destroy than their non-epic counterparts, but there was no real mention.

Have I missed a sidebar or passage in the rules somewhere? Or does anyone have any thoughts on it?

green slime

First Post
the Jester said:
Why should epic items be harder to destroy than regular items?

Well the SRD states on this page (http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/v35/MagicItemsII.rtf):
the SRD said:
Shield Hardness and Hit Points: Each +1 of enhancement bonus adds 2 to a shield’s hardness and +10 to its hit points.

It also says:
the SRD said:
Hardness and Hit Points: An attacker cannot damage a magic weapon that has an enhancement bonus unless his own weapon has at least as high an enhancement bonus as the weapon or shield struck. Each +1 of enhancement bonus also adds 1 to the weapon’s or shield’s hardness and hit points.

So as long as they have epic bonuses, they have increased hardness and hp.

Zad

First Post
I was mostly wondering if I'd missed something about an increase beyond the one you cite - i.e. when you cross the +6 enhancement line.

Of course, don't those two rules conflict with each other? Very amusing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads