• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince-SPOILERS!!!!

wolff96

First Post
Dang

Xath said:
I like the theory that Regulus Black is RAB. It would explain alot. However, even if the locket had been stashed at 12 Grimawld Place, I think Rowling has given us enough clues that it's not there anymore.

Mundungus Fletcher, anyone?

You beat me to it...

I think the fact that in such a fast-moving book, JKR took the time to showcase the scene with Fletcher and the stolen property is probably important.

I had to go back to Book 5 to look at the chart again, but the logic tracks clean:
1) Regulus takes the Phylactery.
2) Taunts Voldemort with the note. (Does this indicate that Voldemort checks them occasionally?)
3) Regulus is killed.
4) The cleaning occurs for the OotP moving in, but Kreacher keeps stealing away treasures...
5) ...which are in turn stolen from him by Fletcher.

If I had to guess, it's going to become a major plot point -- the last one was taken and sold and Harry has to track it down.

Hijinks

First Post
His most faithful servant, the ONLY truly faithful one.

Wormtail is petrified of Voldemort, not loyal. Loyalty only goes so far in cowards. I don't think Wormtail would be as obedient if he thought he had a chance to be free to Voldemort forever.

Severus Snape is the Half-Blood Prince. Otherwise, since you don't really care, I'm not going to go into the plot points :p

Cutter XXIII said:
Who or what is the Half-Blood Prince? What's the significance?
Snape. He's half witch half Muggle in his parentage, and his mother's maiden name is Prince. It's a cute little nickname he had at Hogwarts himself, based partly on a pun of his own creation and partly on wishful thinking on hi part.
Cutter XXIII said:
Oh, and is this the penultimate book in the series?
Yes.

Personally, I liked it quite a bit better than the last one. It was darker and more mature, it ended with a bit more cliff-hangery ending than the last, it left lots of open questions and whatnot, and really upped the stakes considerably in a way the last book didn't.

I did miss the humor element; it had a few moments, but overall wasn't as funny as the last several books. I think I miss seeing more of Fred and George, personally. I think Harry and Ginny are a great couple--she's a good match for him the last few books where we've really seen more of her personality; better than Hermione. I've actually predicted them together for several books now. She kinda gave me the impression at the end that she wasn't going to have anything to do with his whole Spiderman nobility thing.

And Harry was much more likeable in this book. He kinda got on my nerves last book.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that Snape's not evil after all. Dumbledore knew all along that if he himself didn't die that Malfoy would--he admitted as much on the tower. I also don't buy the idea of Malfoy being able to hold Dumbledore helpless, no matter how worn out Dumbledore was. I think all along that the argument Snape and Dumbledore had was that he wanted to Snape to kill him to spare Malfoy. The parallel there is Dumbledore making Harry promise to do what he said no matter how much he didn't want to--I thought the emphasis on that was rather obvious. I also thought the whole "Snape is evil after all, and we're showing you in chapter 2" was way too obvious a play for Rowling; it's not like her. I'm highly convinced that it's all a ploy; Snape was acting on Dumbledore's orders after all all along.

Werdnam

First Post
Honestly, I was a bit bored by this one for the first 400 or so pages. I'm oversimplifying, but it seemed in the first two-thirds of the book, the most gripping mystery was the need to get Slughorn to tell his secret. Admittedly, it was a crucial secret, but I didn't find the buildup and resolution very interesting. The book really started going when Harry and Dumbledore went on their mission and stayed that way through to the touching end (although I think it was a mistake to recount the "off-screen" battle in as much detail as JKR used -- for me, it really broke the momentum the book had at that point, and they were details that I didn't see as particularly necessary).

This is much how I felt about Order of the Phoenix, too (boring start, thrilling end); thankfully, as others have pointed out, Harry was tolerable in this one! I'm a bit sad that I've been so disappointed with the last couple of books, as much as I enjoyed the first four.

I was really glad to see some glimmer of a change in the Malfoy/Potter dynamic. And I'm with the camp that thinks that Snape is deep undercover; in Harry's last confrontation with Snape I really felt that Snape was trying to teach Harry some things. I hope we learn why it was that Dumbledore had such unwavering trust in Snape. And who knew that the series was, in the end, going to turn into a find-and-destroy-the-mcguffin quest? I'll be interested to see how it all plays out in the end.

Wombat

First Post
Hew boy ... lot to chew on this time...

Overall I found this book to be brilliantly flawed. I agree it is much better than Order of the Phoenix, but not quite up to the level of Goblet of Fire.

There are several things that annoy me with the book, matters that keep me from labelling it "dead brilliant".

1) Harry is doing well in Potions because he has Snape's annotated book. But Snape has always been very secretive and private -- why would he just happen to leave his book with his notes behind? I would think that he would either take the book with him or else have copied his notes into a larger grimoire and destroyed this one. Somehow this simply seems out of character.

2) Tonks & Lupin. This felt just incredibly forced. Last time we saw Tonks (about 2 months before) she is bright, bouncy, happy and has never shown any inclination at all towards Lupin. Now she is morose, moody, not eating right, and generally a little black rain cloud. Somehow this simply doesn't jibe.

3) Grawp is now civilized enough to be at the funeral ... why? What has happened to change him? This, again, felt like an abrupt change and a tack-on.

4) Why wasn't Slughorn upset/worried/angry later after Harry had wormed the truth out of him? Given his general character, he seemed to take the whole matter rather easily!

But for all that and all that, there were some absolutely brilliant touches as well, and in the end they outweigh the problems.

Both Slughorn and Harry are gathering groups to them. Harry's loyalists are unannounced, but they are there. Just like Dumbledore he is slowly builing up a circle of folks who are devouted to him simply because of who and what he is, not because of what he might offer or get them. Equally, again unlike Slughorn, he asks for and expects nothing in return. I found this a wonderful parallel.

Yes, Dumbledore believes in the power of love. He feels it is more powerful than anything else in he world, and in this book we got love in every form possible -- first love, twisted love, self-love, true love, teen angsty love, love of family, love of group. We also got the inverse, perverted forms of these, with loyalties drawn out of fear or hatred, with evil not even trusting its own, and love that is merely selfishness. I think this was wonderfully played out.

Did anyone else feel there was something important to Harry being able to cast the sectumsempra spell? This was obviously an evil spell, one that did great physical damage. After reading that section all I could think of was Bellatrix's taunting of Harry near the end of OOP -- that he couldn't cast an Unforgiveable Curse on her because he didn't mean it, that you have to really want to cause pain to make such spells effective. This may set the seal on Harry's relation with Malfoy.

Is Malfoy redeemable? Sure. Obviously he hesitates at the last minute, and this shows either extreme cowardice (not likely) or dawning morality (much more likely). Will Harry allow Malfoy to be redeemed? This is open to a lot of debate...

As to Snape ... I don't know. I know he has further roles to play. I feel he will be there At The End, but to what purpose it is difficult to say. I think Snape wanted to fight for Dumbledore, but was compelled by the Unbreakable Oath, but why would he enter into the Oath in the first place, given that he would know what that choice would probably lead to.

Just a few random thoughts :)

Staffan

Legend
Wombat said:
4) Why wasn't Slughorn upset/worried/angry later after Harry had wormed the truth out of him? Given his general character, he seemed to take the whole matter rather easily!
This one, I can explain. Slughorn was very drunk at the time, and Harry seemed pretty certain that he wouldn't remember anything about it come morning. And since Harry was on Felix at the time, he was right about that.

Snape's behaviour was pretty strange in Spinner's End when he made the vow, he seemed to really care about Narcissa and Malfoy. He didn't act like a bad guy. I think he treats Draco like a kind of son, but it is not everything....

I think the reason that Dumbledore trusted Snape so much wasn't fully revealed. His regret after Potters died....- Voldemort promised to spare Lily, he told it to Harry that she wasn't supposed to die. Why it was repeated so much that Lily was good at potions? It seems to connect her with Snape.

So maybe Narcissa's love for her son reminded him of Lily. I think Narcissa could also die for Draco.... Maybe Lily asked Snape to protect Harry?

Demmero

Explorer
Melkor said:
Why it was repeated so much that Lily was good at potions? It seems to connect her with Snape.

I noticed this as well. It seems to me, though, that in previous books it was remarked that Lily's specialty was Charms.

Remove ads