Has anyone ever tried to 'save' you from D&D?

Have you ever had someone make a serious effort to 'save' you from D&D?

• Yes. They thought it was too sedentary and tried to get me involved in sports.

Votes: 28 9.2%
  • Yes. They thought I had too few friends and tried to get me into social mixing.

Votes: 24 7.9%
  • Yes. They thought my D&D friends were geeky and wanted me to meet a jockier/more popular class of id

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • Yes. They thought D&D was a religious or moral hazard or suicide risk.

Votes: 104 34.2%
  • No. That never happened to me.

Votes: 175 57.6%

• Poll closed .

JesterPoet

First Post
Wow... I feel screwed. Nobody ever bothered to put together an intervention group for me. I wish they had... it actually sounds like a riot.

Nope... my parents always trusted my judgement enough to never question it, and my wife and most of my friends play, so it's never been an issue.

BOZ said:
No. unless you count "that's weird" "that's stupid" or "that's nerdy".

Which I would guess just encourages nearly everyone on these boards....

Last edited:

dren

First Post
No.
Questioned and laughed at, yes, but this was due to the social stigma.
But saved - no. They knew I did whatever I wanted anyway, and even my family wouldn't do anything past, "Are you sure about this?"
To which I replied, "It's a game."
Nuff said.

wedgeski

Adventurer
No. Simple as that.

My parents were somewhat intrigued by what this 'D&D' thing was, and despite never really understanding the game (bless 'em - though I think they kind of get it now, umpteen years later), viewed it as just one of those things I did when my mates came round on a Saturday afternoon. There wasn't even really any stigma over it at school, except from the kind of cliquey brainless wonders who took the *bleep* out of everything they weren't doing themselves.

So, no. Though I really wish someone would try and convert me with the religious angle. That would be a riot.

I met a guy in High School named Vinny. He overheard me and some gaming friends talking about the game. He was curious and asked to come to a session. we said "sure." He came, watched for a while then made a character and joined the group. He started coming to every session and became an avid player. He bought the PHB. He bought dice. He bought dragon magazines. He even came to the frequent "off-night" games we played, sometimes 4-5 times a week in addition to the regular Sunday game. He played with us for about 2-3 years.

Then, he met Jesus in a Waffle House at 3 AM.

Jesus told him to change his life and go to church.

Then, after going to church a few times, Vinny bought a religious book about the evils of DnD. He talked to his pastor who told him about the evils of DnD. Vinny quit gaming with us, but still hung out with us for a while. During this time he used every opportunity he could to try to convince us that DnD was bad, immoral, escapist (in a bad way) etc. etc.

I tried to reason with him countless times. Finally, Brian told him to get lost.

I ran into him a few times after that, he always seemed weird. I didn't even recognize him anymore.

BTW, he was also a "Dead Head" before he met Jesus. I even went to two Grateful Dead shows with him before he met Jesus at the Waffle House. After Jesus talked to him, he also stopped listening to the Dead.

Speaking from my psychological education, I'd say he had a very dependent personality and was always seeking some sort of tangible fulfilling relationship that was beyond what "normal" people desire. He always seemed preoccupied with the dynamics of friendships and frequently talked about who was better friends with whom. When he was into the Dead, he was a fanatic about them. When he was into gaming, he was a fanatic about that. When he met Jesus, he became a religious fanatic.

He's just a fanatic. :confused:

Li Shenron

Legend
At most, if I had been gaming really a lot someone could have suggested me to do some sport for fitness reason, but while it's true that I should be spending more time outdoor, that's because of my job, not D&D ;)

I think the issue never made any sense to me :) . I believe it may really depend on the country's culture. In Italy D&D or any other RPG is just-a-game, and the only problem with it could be that you may spend too much time in games instead of studying for example. Never heard anyone here speaking about RPG leading to anti-religious practices!

Just to mention, for some reason I cannot explain, it is true that in Italy Tolkien's books and everything related to fantasy, therefore including RPGs, traditionally they have a large appeal to neo-fascists or extreme conservative people, and in fact when I say to grandma that I play D&D she sometimes seems to worry that our players may be skinheads or something :D which is not true of course.

JesterPoet

First Post
Bloodstone Press said:
Then, he met Jesus in a Waffle House at 3 AM.

Well, that's fortuitous. I mean, I'd imagine Jesus would be more than willing to pick up the tab.

I met LeeAnn Rimes at a Perkins at 3 AM. But I don't think that's really the same. She really didn't have anything interesting to say. I think she was tired.

[slightly off topic] BTW, I was reading recently about the history of comic books. Did you know that back in the 1950s, Comic books were demonized by religious leaders and psychologists just like DnD was in the 1980s? I guess everything cool is satanic :uhoh: [/slightly off topic]

shoplifter

First Post
edit: That was because of the EC books like Tales From the Crypt. Those things are awesome, and I highly recommend them. This was also the origin of the Comics Code.

Voted for religious reasons.

My cousin got me into playing when I wa 7 in 1985, and since he was a fine upstanding kid (with great taste in music) no one in my family ever questioned me on it. They figured it was good for a kid with an active imagination, and it was great for my reading comprehension and math skills.

Of course, I had to bring it up in Bible School. This led to the pastor calling my mom and asking her if she knew I 'played this abomination.' She said yes, and she encouraged it. I never had to go again. :)

I don't think that my parents thought I'd still be playing at 26 though. I keep trying to get my mom to sit in on a CoC game since she loves horror books, but it has yet to happen. She'll give in to her curiosity eventually.

Last edited:

Well, that's fortuitous.

Yeah, I've kicked myself for years for not being with him that night. While Vinny was out getting high and meeting Jesus, I was sitting at home reading, studying and working on the game....

I mean, I'd imagine Jesus would be more than willing to pick up the tab.

According to Vinny, Jesus was posing as a homeless man..... ;)

Remove ads