D&D 5E Has D&D spoiled you on other RPGs?

For me, it has (almost) reached the point of D&D or nothing.:)
this is pretty common. I hear it a lot. Maybe because I started at LARPs and with RIfts and very early went to World of Darkness I am more likely to give other systems a chance.
the only reason that I use D&D as often as I do now is the support Roll20 give me

Nope. I still like to run Torg when I get the chance - the new edition is quite nice and my players have fun with it even though it's just a bit more fiddly t
Torg is is the one I miss the most it was to complex to do on roll20, and we were mid campagin when we stopped playing in person... we said we would come back to it in a few months when things went back to normal... we are still virtual

No. Kinda the opposite. 5E goes a different direction than I like so it’s pushing me towards other games and making me appreciate their not-5E-ness more than ever.
that is what the last few years of 3e did to us, and 5e is kind of getting there... we want more mechanics for martial heroes and nerfed casters... or 5e may be what pushes us to try other things if teh 2024 book doesn't reinvent enough to keep this intresting

R_J_K75

Legend
Yes. I have always played D&D first and foremost, and right now I only play 5E D&D. I did Kickstart the Everyday Heroes 5E book, so I'm looking forward to that and I think it'll be a nice distraction from D&D for a while when I get the pdf in November. Heres the games Ive played from first to last, so Ive always stayed pretty close to my D&D roots. At this point in my life, I have no desire to invest and learn any game system thats not 5E d20 based, until the 5.5/6E comes out in 2024. Is 5E the best system for D&D, no, but its the one that me and my players have decided to play so we're sticking with that system.

D&D
Marvel Superheroes
Call of Cthulhu
Alternity
d20 Modern
Star Wars d6, d20, Saga
Pathfinder 1E

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Sort of in practice it's D&D or nothing.

I can get an occasional game of Star Wars.

Other RPGs may as well not exist. Read that as good luck getting the players for a group beyond one shots.

So any other RPG is essentially a collectors item.

Think I ran a one shot D6 Star Wars on 2019 or 20 for my group.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I wouldn't say spoiled at all. Rather, 5e is just a bit hard to compete with because, no matter what other game we play for a while, my players and I still want to get back to D&D. We constantly have ideas of D&D campaigns to run that we want to try out. Any other game has, so far, been a temporary carve out from D&D in our regular, weekly games.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Torg is is the one I miss the most it was to complex to do on roll20, and we were mid campagin when we stopped playing in person... we said we would come back to it in a few months when things went back to normal... we are still virtual
We managed to play once this summer in July with a reduced group - schedules being what they are in the summer I was glad for it.

It really is a game that is made for tabletop rather than virtual. Maybe if they came up with some kind of app to use the Drama Deck with on their phones - Roll20's built in card system just feels a bit too clunky, and my players are already pushing towards the edge of their fiddliness limit with the game without having to deal with Roll20's user interface.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well, in thinking it all over, I thought I'd share and ask if anyone else has run into a similar phenomenon?

Nope. Not at all. 5e is good - I'm currently running one campaign and playing in another. But I also run and play other games. Generally, when one campaign is over, and another begins, I switch systems entirely.
I also get involved with live-action games every once is a while, and 5e is not a useful ruleset there at all.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Not for me. We're still mostly running/playing 5e out of inertia, but I think my next few games I'm going to push to switch it up a bit. 8 years of any system starts to get a little stale.

Remove ads