D&D 5E Has D&D spoiled you on other RPGs?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Luckily, I am not that concerned about getting help for the eating thing. And I enjoy other things (and D&D), just don't really have interest in other RPG (other types of games are different, of course).
I mean, openness to experience is one of the big 5 psychological traits; it's not uncommon to simply prefer familiar experiences to novel ones.

And I'm totally with you on the food thing, I'm very much an "eat to live" person, rather than "live to eat". I've got a couple dishes I enjoy and stick with them.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
And I'm totally with you on the food thing, I'm very much an "eat to live" person, rather than "live to eat". I've got a couple dishes I enjoy and stick with them.
Off topic of course, but if I could just eat a "food bar" with all my required nutrition a few times a day, I would.

I'm currently running DCC RPG and 5e for my two groups, so no, not entirely. I will say that my tolerance for learning new, more complicated systems has gone way down of late, but that just might be me getting older and not having the time to dedicate to learning and then teaching a whole group a new crunch-filled system. If I'm going to run something that's not D&D 5e, it has to be a game I can explain reasonably completely in under 15 minutes.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Off topic of course, but if I could just eat a "food bar" with all my required nutrition a few times a day, I would.
I tried that with Soylent for a while. It was actually pretty satisfying, but I started to feel a little odd after a few weeks, so I made it a once-in-a-while thing.

But yea, off-topic, feel free to DM if needed.

Panzeh

Explorer
I'm not sure I understand why folks come to a 5e thread, say they don't like/play 5e and/or have no interest in it. Why, in the great expanse of all that is the internet (and, really, the great expanse that is ENWorld), spend time on a forum engaging in a discussion about a game you don't even care about? Kinda belies the claim of "no interest", IMO. I dunno, maybe I'm missing something...
I try to avoid doing the "play something else" as a response in this forum, but there is a fairly significant amount of discussion that is somewhat RPG-neutral that I feel there's something productive to do here.

Tallifer

Hero
Quite the opposite. D&D made me happy to learn different ways to roleplay. Although my basic preference for Middle Earth and Narnia keeps me coming back to the roots of fantasy roleplaying.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
No. Kinda the opposite. 5E goes a different direction than I like so it’s pushing me towards other games and making me appreciate their not-5E-ness more than ever.
Same.

What pulled me in and kept me in D&D is the things it does well. Then you look at the thing it doesn't do as well or doesn't do at all; and you wonder what a game that does would look like?

It made me interested in other propositions.
I think it's fair to say that 5e spoiled me on D&D. I was so excited by the playtest material, and so little of what I actually liked made it into the published version of the game.

Luckily I happened across a copy of the Dungeon Crawl Classics core rulebook and was reborn.

Last edited:

Well "no" is a valid response to "do you agree?" And "5E pushes me away" is a valid response to "does 5E draw you in?"

Of course.

But my query is more about: why read and respond to a 5e thread in the first place if you don't play, have interest in, and/or like 5e? What is the motivation?

For example, I don't play any other edition of D&D, so I've just simply shut off my viewing of those tagged threads (in Preferences):

1660412809098.png

I don't read them and don't respond to them.

And, I don't visit the Pathfinder threads here on ENWorld as I have no interest in that game.

Make sense?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Of course.
And yet...
But my query is more about: why read and respond to a 5e thread in the first place if you don't play, have interest in, and/or like 5e? What is the motivation?

For example, I don't play any other edition of D&D, so I've just simply shut off my viewing of those tagged threads (in Preferences):
Maybe we like interacting with other people on the forum? Maybe we're bored? Maybe we used to like 5E but have grown tired of it? Maybe we want to show people who're locked in to 5E that other games exist? Who knows.
I don't read them and don't respond to them.

And, I don't visit the Pathfinder threads here on ENWorld as I have no interest in that game.

Make sense?
Maybe we like having a bigger bubble?

And yet...

Maybe we like interacting with other people on the forum? Maybe we're bored? Maybe we used to like 5E but have grown tired of it? Maybe we want to show people who're locked in to 5E that other games exist? Who knows.

Maybe we like having a bigger bubble?

Ok. Thanks for the response.

FWIW, I'm not trying to offend or to tell anyone to stop; I'm really just curious why one would choose to spend their time on a non-interest.

Remove ads