D&D General Hasbro Is Looking For Partners For Baldur's Gate 4

Sequel is still "very much on the cards".

bg3-astarion-party-full.jpg

Last month, Baldur's Gate 3 developer Larion Studios revealed that it was 'elated' not to be working on further D&D video games, expansions, or DLC.

However, Wizard of the Coast's Eugene Evans says that a sequel is still "very much on the cards". Evans is Senior vice president of Digital Strategy and Licensing for Hasbro and WotC, and was talking in an interview with PC Gamer.

“We’re now talking to lots of partners and being approached by a lot of partners who are embracing the challenge of, what does the future of the Baldur’s Gate franchise look like? So we certainly hope that it’s not another 25 years, as it was from Baldur’s Gate 2 to 3, before we answer that. But we’re going to take our time and find the right partner, the right approach, and the right product that could represent the future of Baldur’s Gate. We take that very, very seriously, as we do with all of our decisions around our portfolio. We don’t rush into decisions as to who to partner with on products or what products we should be considering.”

Fans of the characters, such as Shadowheart and Astarian, created by Larion and introduced in BG3 will be pleased to know that they are now owned by WotC, meaning that it's not impossible that they would show up in any sequels. Evans said "Larian created a much loved cast of characters, who were even celebrated by their nominations, the voice actors behind them and the talent behind them was celebrated at the [BAFTAS]...And they are now essentially part of D&D canon."

Is Zynga still around? I feel like Hasbro would hire Zynga for this

EDIT: Baldur’s Gate 4: Adventures in FarmVille! “Share this post daily with your family and friends to receive in-game gold!”

Last edited:

There is a studio, Gameloft, working in a future D&D videogame with touchs of farm simulation.

A BG4 is not the only option. My advice is the most of future D&D videogames should can be played offline, because the online multiplayer market is too competitive.

A LEGO: D&D should allow to test new ideas.

Gamma World could be right for a collab with Fortnite.

The best way for WotC to leverage the success of BG3 isn’t through video games. It would simply take too long to develop something that wasn’t garbage, by which time BG3 would be forgotten.

What they can do is use the characters in novels and adventures. Those can be produced far more quickly.

And it should be mentioned, it’s not the tools that made BG3 successful, those are mediocre at best. It’s the people and the time. I suspect it would be possible for another game studio to poach some of the people. I doubt everyone was delighted to not be working on D&D any more.

Last edited:

Meech17

Adventurer
The best way for WotC to leverage the success of BG3 isn’t through video games. It would simply take too long to develop something that wasn’t garbage, by which time BG3 would be forgotten.

What they can do is use the characters in novels and adventures. Those can be produced far more quickly.

And it should be mentioned, it’s not the tools that made BG3 successful, those are mediocre at best. It’s the people and the time. I suspect it would be possible for another game studio to poach some of the people. I doubt everyone was delighted to not be working on D&D any more.
For sure. WotC already missed the boat here. Sure, you can argue that they didn't expect BG3 to blow up like this, but they really needed to have companion pieces for the game ready to go. People are absolutely enamored with the characters from the game.. They all need novels and D&D accessories.

For sure. WotC already missed the boat here. Sure, you can argue that they didn't expect BG3 to blow up like this, but they really needed to have companion pieces for the game ready to go. People are absolutely enamored with the characters from the game.. They all need novels and D&D accessories.
I mean, they’ve been trying to milk the success of past video game hits for years, and then they missed the boat on solidly tying many products to this video game release. (Part of the problem was that BG3 was in Early Access for a long while, so some tie-in products—MTG for example—happened after BG3 was available but before it was fully released.)

Meech17

Adventurer
I mean, they’ve been trying to milk the success of past video game hits for years, and then they missed the boat on solidly tying many products to this video game release. (Part of the problem was that BG3 was in Early Access for a long while, so some tie-in products—MTG for example—happened after BG3 was available but before it was fully released.)
I don't know what happened there. It's a shame they didn't sit on the Baldur's Gate magic set for a year until the game launched. I know they plan MTG sets like two or three years in advance, but still. Most people I know in the MTG space had no idea who these characters were.

Remove ads

Remove ads