Hasbro/WotC has crossed the Trust Thermocline

darjr

I crit!
Assume a maximum of 99,999 people canceled their subscription to D&D Beyond, that isbless than 1% of the user base. Definitely enough to scare management into a change of direction, well and good, but...that still leaves 10 millio+ people using Beyond.

Question is, is it a train heading off of a cliff, or are the managers who apparently think ot will blow over in a fee months right...? We'll probably see when the movie comes out. Right now, the PHB is #147 in all books on Amazon, so this may end up being a bifurcation I'm the fanbase rather than the End Times.
Also that’s after they replaced the button with the form link which took most of two days. I think.

Also that’s after they replaced the button with the form link which took most of two days. I think.

The person you are responding to is conflating two things: unsubscribing and deleting your account. You can unsubscribe right now: I did it with no problems. To delete your account, you need to submit a trouble ticket. That is a more significant step, and the 5 digit number that is attached to matters given how much of a variance is within that.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Fair point, but still a lot of unknown factors hwre. The change.org petitions (which I signed, though I only have a free Beyond account and have every intention of buying future WotC books as the mood strikes me) got five digit sign-ups, but on the lower end of the spectrum, not the higher end. And a lot of the people here saying they were canceling their paid subscriptions were stating it was conditional on future developments, so WotC has a lot of room to walk back here it seems to me.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: for their goals they ought to have revived the d20 STL and sweetened the pot. Let third parties use Beholders or Mindflsyers, let them claim Dungeons & Dragons compatibility on the cover forthright let Ed Greenwood Kickstart the Forgotten Realms. But have community standards enforced for the privilege, and maybe some reasonable royalties. People would sign up for it, from a business point of view.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I've said it before, I'll say it again: for their goals they ought to have revived the d20 STL and sweetened the pot. Let third parties use Beholders or Mindflsyers, let them claim Dungeons & Dragons compatibility on the cover forthright let Ed Greenwood Kickstart the Forgotten Realms. But have community standards enforced for the privilege, and maybe some reasonable royalties. People would sign up for it, from a business point of view.
Yes, I agree that this would have been extremely reasonable and would not have met with such a strong pushback.

Retreater

Legend
Even on this board, with everyone reading all these posts, with the assumption of some friendliness with 3PP, we can't even get half the responders to a poll to say they'd consider not playing 5e.
Even most people on here don't care. They're hoping they can keep giving Wizards money, praying things don't change. And most of the people will forget within two weeks or whenever the next book comes out.
"Hey, it stinks that Wizards is going to shutter independent design studios and people are going to lose their jobs to the draconian, backstabbing jerks at Wizards, but I can't live without owning literally everything they make."

Scribe

Legend
Even on this board, with everyone reading all these posts, with the assumption of some friendliness with 3PP, we can't even get half the responders to a poll to say they'd consider not playing 5e.
Even most people on here don't care. They're hoping they can keep giving Wizards money, praying things don't change. And most of the people will forget within two weeks or whenever the next book comes out.
"Hey, it stinks that Wizards is going to shutter independent design studios and people are going to lose their jobs to the draconian, backstabbing jerks at Wizards, but I can't live without owning literally everything they make."
There's a few here that express that, but I'm hoping it's a dramatic minority.

mamba

Legend
Even on this board, with everyone reading all these posts, with the assumption of some friendliness with 3PP, we can't even get half the responders to a poll to say they'd consider not playing 5e. Even most people on here don't care.
I do not have to stop playing 5e to never buy D&D material again, so that does not necessarily mean they do not care. I believe several made that distinction.

Even if 60% did not care, if WotC loses 20% subscribers over this, I doubt they can ignore that

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Wizards of the Coast isn't our friend...but neither are Kobold Press, Goodman Games, Paizo, Green Ronin, etc. They are all corporate content providers. Paizo was implicat3d in far more problematic practices less than a year ago, and people have moved on...and really, why not...?

Remove ads