D&D 5E Have we misunderstood the shield and sword fighter (or warrior)?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
The concept of using a spear or staff one-handed with a shield doesn’t bother me at all; it’s not only possible, but a classic fighting style. It does bother me that the bonus action attack is specifically described as being made with the butt end of the weapon; while there are definitely cases for using the butt end of a polearm, most of them involve both hands on the weapon, and in any case two quick thrusts would be faster anyway. Fortunately, it easy enough to ignore that little bit of fluff and narrate it in a more plausible way. Regardless, it’s very clear that the bonus action attack is intended to be usable while wielding a spear or staff one-handed, and it’s not at all unbalanced.
Holding the spear (or staff...) with one-hand and doing a reverse spin to swing the butt-end around is easy enough. It isn't as effective (hence the low damage), but can catch an opponent off guard.

I had a PC who was a spear/shield ranger with Dueling and STR 18 and PAM, so the butt-end damage was d4+6. :D

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
FWIW I thought that your OP was clear. It was just easier to reply to the simple posts before dealing with that more complex point.
thank you - it was pretty heavily implied, but I felt making it explicit would be better.

I think the other point I was making is that a dex built sword and shield better is a lot more fun, unless your fun is doing massive damage, but that's more of a personal preference and less "discussable"

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Holding the spear (or staff...) with one-hand and doing a reverse spin to swing the butt-end around is easy enough. It isn't as effective (hence the low damage), but can catch an opponent off guard.

I had a PC who was a spear/shield ranger with Dueling and STR 18 and PAM, so the butt-end damage was d4+6. :D

We had a bugbear barbarian (got disintegrated by a Trump beholder... RIP Goruk!) with a halberd and GWM. The butt-end damage was... 1d4+17?

Zubatcarteira

Now you're infected by the Musical Doodle
For Sword and Shield specifically, I think the Shield doesn't give enough of a benefit to make up for the huge difference in damage if feats are involved, at least for a Fighter. Without feats, it should be better, yeah.

Remove ads