D&D 5E Have we misunderstood the shield and sword fighter (or warrior)?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Good-bye level 5 hasted GWM berserker using Reckless Attacks to do ~84 damage in one turn.

Which is both good and…kinda sad.
Even if the Berserker hit with all 4 attacks using -5/+10 he would only then do ~92 damage. (7 + 4 + 2 + 10)*4 = 23*4 = 92 avg damage. His attack bonus is only +2. Seems he would have to be facing some extremely low AC enemies to get close to 84 DPR a turn with haste.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Even if the Berserker hit with all 4 attacks using -5/+10 he would only then do ~92 damage. (7 + 4 + 2 + 10)*4 = 23*4 = 92 avg damage. His attack bonus is only +2. Seems he would have to be facing some extremely low AC enemies to get close to 84 DPR a turn with haste.

Advantage on every attack with Reckless. Sure, there will be at least one miss more often than not. But against AC 13 there's about a 1/4 chance of hitting with all four attacks. Give him a +1 weapon (not unlikely) and it gets better. But with even one miss, heck even with two misses, that's a LOT of dpr for level 5.

And, yeah, I forgot to add the +2 rage damage.

FrogReaver

Advantage on every attack with Reckless. Sure, there will be at least one miss more often than not. But against AC 13 there's about a 1/4 chance of hitting with all four attacks. Give him a +1 weapon (not unlikely) and it gets better. But with even one miss, heck even with two misses, that's a LOT of dpr for level 5.
75% chance to hit AC 13 means you only have a .75 * .75 * .75 * .75 chance to land all 4 attacks = 30% chance and that's only against a low AC of 13. Look at 15 AC and the chance plummets.

And, yeah, I forgot to add the +2 rage damage.
I didn't.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Against AC 15 (64% hit) average DPR would be 29 dmg (assuming STR 18 +4 bonus and a greatsword).

Against AC 13 (75% hit) it would be 38.2.

Neither are anywhere near 80+ damage. I don't know why when people consider DRP they assume every attack hits. 🤷‍♂️

FrogReaver

Against AC 15 (64% hit) average DPR would be 29 dmg (assuming STR 18 +4 bonus and a greatsword).

Against AC 13 (75% hit) it would be 38.2.

Neither are anywhere near 80+ damage. I don't know why when people consider DRP they assume every attack hits. 🤷‍♂️
Your numbers seem to be leaving out the cited haste attack and maybe even Bezerker bonus action attack.

FrogReaver

LOL, no, but I forgot to add the +2 final attack bonus after the GWM!

So, revised AC 13 = 47.4 DPR, and AC 15 = 38.2 DPR.
Using your chances to hit above (i'm ignoring criticals). Each attack should do 7+4+2+10 = 23 damage. You make 4 attacks. Thats potentially 92 damage before accuracy.

I get 69 DPR for AC 13 and 59 DPR for AC 15.

Remove ads