D&D 5E Have you actually read the 5e DMG?

Have you read the 5e DMG attentively from cover to cover?

• Yes, I read the DMG from cover to cover as a DM

Votes: 121 57.1%
  • I only read the portions I need as a DM and discover the rules over time

Votes: 85 40.1%
  • I don't read the DMG because I'm a player

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I read the DMG even though I'm a player

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • No but my DM informed me of all the available choices

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No but my DM informs me of the choices available in his/her campaign.

Votes: 2 0.9%

atanakar

Hero
Seems like a lot of people are discovering all the fun additional and optional rules of the 5e DMG. A DM can really customize his game considerably. Have you read the 5e DMG attentively from cover to cover?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I voted cover to cover because I did sit down and go through each section in the DMG in the order they appeared. But there were portions in many sections that I skimmed.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Yes but the optional rules are often lacking & in many cases massively imbalanced without gigantic rewrites of 5e due to missing supporting structures when a variant rule could have easily taken care of converting hat structure to the current 5e in a sentence or two. Look at the discussion regarding flanking facing & aoO's in this relevant thread as one example. Gritty realism screwing short/long rest class balance & doing the opposite of what it aims to do by turning magic items normally intended to be used sparingly across 6-8 encounter days into at will cantrips unless the GM starts rebuilding all kinds of stuff.

JeffB

Legend
For 5E?
I've read mostly the optional rules/variants sections in the very back and utilize the magic item descriptions as needed,. The rest of it is not terribly good or all that useful for me. It's not as bad as the 3E DMG, but.....

The 4E DMG, I read cover to cover. 2E and 1E too, though it's been many moons.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Yes, cover to cover, and I was annoyed it didn't come out at the same time as the PHB so that I could think about how I was going to run the game with all of the material I needed.

Remove ads