D&D 5E Have you moved on yet? Has Wizard's handled this properly?

Birdlegs

First Post
After reading these posts over the last few days I finally decided to sign up to add my two cents. I have been roleplaying for the last 25 years of my nerdy life and have played pretty much every kind of game out there. I even admit to playing TOON on occasion! As an older gamer it boils down to the people you are gaming with. If the game is awesome but the roleplaying stinks then it is going to be a short night. If the game stinks but the rolelaying is supurb, everyone leaves with good memories at 5am. Its the players that make the game memorable and not the rules themselves. Rules are just guidelines. Our group concentrates on roleplaying and it is not uncommon to go through an entire 12 hour gaming session without even rolling dice! In the end who really cares if DND next sucks? If it does then I'll keep playing the numerous other games out there until 5 am and keep making good memories with my friends for the next 30 years. I dont have enough time in my life to play half of the games that look interesting. Thank God for roleplaying and good times. I'm grateful to have a hobby full of awesome people that have supplied me with more great times than any sport or drug.

Birdlegs

First Post
What draws me to a game is the quality of the adventures and not the rules. After GMing the enemy within campaign all others pale in comparison. I'm not being a Warhammer snob, the adventures were just freakin awesome. Give me a deeply compelling campaign setting with well designed adventures and I'm in. So many of the adventures coming out are plain crap and a waste of paper. If you try to search for adventures with mature themes that are complex and intricate, you will find very few. DND adventures from 20 years ago hold many good memories for me but looking at them now makes me wonder what 15 year old wrote them. Get a good design team together who are willing to take risks with the material and the old schoolers will come back because they crave that feeling they felt long ago in a galaxy far far away...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Neither position is more accurate.

I beg to differ- the statement I responded to- "There's nothing wrong with 4th edition"- is objectively and demonstrably wrong.

My statement, OTOH, is demonstrably correct. All one needs to do to test either statement is look for edition specific errata.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
I beg to differ- the statement I responded to- "There's nothing wrong with 4th edition"- is objectively and demonstrably wrong.

My statement, OTOH, is demonstrably correct. All one needs to do to test either statement is look for edition specific errata.

Differ away. Errata is not proof, it's reinforcement of original intention of the design team.

When the first "rule" of a game is "these are guidelines for a DM to use as he sees fit", errata are only proof to people concerned with literal interpretation.

Remove ads