Have you pre-ordered?

Have you pre-ordered the 4th edition books?

• Yes, all of them.

Votes: 64 29.2%
  • Yes, some of them.

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • I'm planning on pre-ordering them. I just haven't yet

Votes: 19 8.7%
  • No. I'll buy them when they are released

Votes: 32 14.6%
  • I haven't decided whether I'll buy them or not.

Votes: 92 42.0%

Syltorian

First Post
I took the last option because

(1) I might consider buying them once an official houserule book à la Unearthed Arcana comes out and helps me undo the changes I do not like (as far as I can tell by the previews, that's most of them), or if there is a comparatively easy way to scavenge the bits I do like.

(2) Because the options "not interested at this point in time" respectively "I'll (probably) buy Eberron once it comes out and ignore the rest of this edition" were not available.

BadMojo

First Post
Is there any big benefit to pre-ordering? I'll probably pick up at least the PHB when it comes out, but I couldn't really find any reason to pre-order. It's not like the books will be hard to find.

Zinovia

Explorer
BadMojo said:
Is there any big benefit to pre-ordering? I'll probably pick up at least the PHB when it comes out, but I couldn't really find any reason to pre-order. It's not like the books will be hard to find.
Amazon has them discounted heavily, plus an additional 5% off if you preorder. They guarantee that if the price falls between the time you place the order and the time the books are ready to ship, you pay the lowest price. You can cancel your order any time until they ship, and they don't charge your credit card until shipping either. So it's a good way to get the books for about $65 instead of the $105 or so it will be for retail.

I voted that I'd pre-ordered some of the books, but in fact am getting the H1 adventure and the core rulebook gift pack. If I hate H1 and everything in it, I can cancel the core books. That's unlikely though - I can always keep the 4E core for house rule purposes. I am not buying Forgotten Realms. The subsequent H series adventures will wait to see if we like the first one.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Zinovia said:
Amazon has them discounted heavily, plus an additional 5% off if you preorder.
Currently 37% off, plut extra 5% makes it about 40%.

In bookstores you can sometimes find 40% coupons (I know Borders offers one a few times per year).

drscott46

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
Currently 37% off, plut extra 5% makes it about 40%.

In bookstores you can sometimes find 40% coupons (I know Borders offers one a few times per year).

Yeah, true, but Borders coupons are usually only good for a few days at a time and the timing is very unpredictable.

Amazon's deal is good non-stop until release. Plus, if you do the trial Amazon Prime (free two-day shipping on everything) offer when the release dates approach, then make a pre-order, you can theoretically have books in your hands two days after release for around 40% off the cover price. Then cancel the Prime trial before the trial period ends (just by clicking into your account settings) and they don't charge you anything for it.

Searching around on the web will find you the Amazon Prime trial offers. You can only get one per account. Sadly, I used mine a while ago, but I know they vary in length from 30 days to as much as three or four months.

Gundark

Explorer
want to...havn't yet.....hmmm I have time now....

Edit: I just pre-ordered from Amazon. I don't think they charge you until the items ship

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I preordered mine because I got a nice discount on them...and the purchase triggered an additional discount at the FLGS where I made the purchase.

Still reserving final judgement on it until I get it, though.

Remove ads