D&D 5E Have You Started Planning How You Will End 5e Yet?

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I thought I would have a rogue comet impact the greater Seattle area. :p

The serious answer is that I don't plan endings as it is fully dependent on how much the group and I like what comes next. We played 3.5 all the way through 4e and into 2019 before 5e had enough product for us to make the switch. 3 years later we still debate whether the next campaign is going back to 3e or sticking with 5e.
For real.

We played 1e through 1999 when I had to play - half orc Paladin in 3.0.

(Skipped 2e entirely)

Skipped 3.5. ONE SESSION of 4e….so skipped it too.

We are pretty happy with 5e…5.5 will have to be pretty darn great to cause a switch.

I don’t have to be in the cult of the new if I am having fun. And with what is happening with art direction and lore I am thinking my group will stick with 5e.

We all play and DM and have lots of books…you never know. But more likely is stealing some new stuff and dropping it into 5e (feats at one, a few fixes whatever)

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
For real.

We played 1e through 1999 when I had to play - half orc Paladin in 3.0.

(Skipped 2e entirely)

Skipped 3.5. ONE SESSION of 4e….so skipped it too.

We are pretty happy with 5e…5.5 will have to be pretty darn great to cause a switch.

I don’t have to be in the cult of the new if I am having fun. And with what is happening with art direction and lore I am thinking my group will stick with 5e.

We all play and DM and have lots of books…you never know. But more likely is stealing some new stuff and dropping it into 5e (feats at one, a few fixes whatever)
Right there with you. The only real utility I'm going to get out of the new edition is bits and pieces for my homebrew.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Right there with you. The only real utility I'm going to get out of the new edition is bits and pieces for my homebrew.
It’s all fine.

I am going to try and not dim the fun others get. People get charged up for new stuff and like new toys.

I think my group of professionals with kids probably does not play as much as some and are not trying to break things so our books have plenty of possibilities.

I toyed with going back to 1e or OSRIC but we like the new toys and flexibility.

Hey, maybe 5.5 will have some cool stuff to steal! I can live with that. I could still find good conversations and play with folks who play 5.5 so won’t feel alienated.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
I've been living in a DIY/OSR world for so long now that it never even crossed my mind that the impending EOSL for 5.0 means anything. When you're used to not having official support, the lack of it isn't something you notice.

But, yeah, I might throw a party. Run some OD&D, drink some whiskey and porter, ritualistically burn some 5e character sheets in the fireplace. So, a regular game night in other words.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I'll probably stop playing 5e when I die, or to be less dramatic maybe when I retire I'll move to something else. I just don't have the time and inclination to learn a new system.

The the new books that are coming out wouldn't be dumping 5e in my mind if I buy them. As long as I can still run my existing adventures from WotC and TPPs, I'm still playing the same game. My next campaign may go 100% with the new books or may still with the current core books with cherry picked changes from the new books.

For each campaign, I select a mix of home rules based on optional variant rules in the core books, from TPPs, and home brew to fit the setting. So, by the logic of many of the posts arguing that 1 D&D = 5.5/6e, then I'm playing a new edition with every campaign.

As long as I don't have to learn and entirely new system from scratch, I'll likely buy the new books. I've liked most of what I've seen so far. But I'm not going to render my small library of adventure material useless by moving to a new system that I can't use with them.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Probably only in places like this. In the larger community, it’ll just be “oh hey the revised core books are out” or “oh snap they updated the core books. Nah, you can still make characters using Xanathar’s and Tasha’s and the Eberron book. Issa patch, it’s not that serious.”

If I can, without “conversion”, make a character using the new phb, Xanathar’s, Eberron, and MoTM, it’s not a new edition.
I'm not sure how well that would work - the subclass features don't show u p at the same level in the old vs the new phb.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I'm not sure how well that would work - the subclass features don't show u p at the same level in the old vs the new phb.
It works fine, right now, in practice.

Like…you just gain subclass features in order, using the levels stated in the base class you are using.

The only ruling needed is to give the Bard something at the last subclass level if using new bard with older subclass. Obvious choice is bonus feat.

Remove ads