• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

having a problem with aligment... Can anyone help??

Venport

First Post
I don't like the current mechanics behind alignment how do you think I could change it?

I want a low level evil charter to be able to fool a low level party or even a mid level one… Spells like detect evil prevent this especially if you have a paladin the party that detects evil at will… I don't know how your player perceive evil but mine kill it no matter what. And honestly it shouldn't work this way… Here is what I want to try and do… Keep all alignments it helps with charter goals.

1:(like eberron suggests) gods have better things to do then watch all their clerics and make sure they are being good. (unless they do something on an epic scale)

2: no detect evil spell.. I plan on giving Paladins something else in that place but not sure yet

3: Change paladins Smite ability make it so they can smite anything that has hurt an comrade or themselves (kind of like divine vengeance)

4: Clerics will have detect energy type on their spell list instead of detect evil and detect undead this will tell them if a creature is powered by positive or negative energy

5: no holy and unholy swords… this are just so powerful in most campaigns you will fight CE NE LE and N that 1 out of 4 that will not be affected by these kinds of weapon

This is just as start… any ideas on what else would need to be changed? Is there a better way to approach this change?

kirinke

First Post
Ring of mind shielding. That will effectively fool them. It makes it impossible for anyone to the detect alignment of who ever is wearing it. One of my character's uses it to hide the faint evil aura she bears as the result of demonic possession. The demon's relatively benign, but it still radiates an evil aura due to it's outsider nature. With the Ring, you don't have to change anything. And it's perfectly legal and above board, so players can't complain. Especially if you make the ring available to them.

Last edited:

Psimancer

First Post
I don’t know if this will help, but…

Rather than using absolute terms like ‘good’ and ‘evil’ for these abilities, I have been toying with the idea of using the relative term of ‘opposition’.

If you look at an alignment table you will see that the extreme alignments connect to their neutral neighbours, but not to true neutral directly… essentially, the diametrically opposed alignment is 4 steps away – for Lawful Good; Lawful Neutral & Neutral Good are 1 step away, Chaotic Good, True Neutral & Lawful Evil are 2 steps away, Lawful Neutral & Chaotic Neutral are 3 steps away and Chaotic Evil is 4 steps away…

So, when a character uses a detect ‘opposition’ or smite ‘opposition’ ability, what they trigger on is an alignment that is 3 or 4 steps away…

In translating to a normal party structure, what you get is a Paladin who does not view Lawful Evil as ‘opposition’…

Hence, if your evil character is Lawful Evil, he might actually stand a chance…

EDIT: Based on ideas from a previous thread, I re-oriented the alignment chart to have Lawful Good at the top, rather than top-left (see the attachment). This then gave me the option to add in a new axis for alignments; White (LG, LN, NG), Grey (CG, TN, LE) and Black (NE, CN, CE). So instead of saying to your party, ‘Any non-evil’, you could say ‘Any non-black’ alignments…

Attachments

• Alignment.jpg
    Alignment.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

kirinke

First Post
Option B: Go with the ring of mind shielding. Less of a migraine involved. :]
Good idea though, but like the man says, in simplicity is where the true genius lies. Or words to that effect. I dunno. ;)

Remove ads