D&D (2024) Oh Ye of Little FAITB

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth

I've run a lot of fate where something similar to that kind of push mechanic is a core part of play for everyone at the table. It very much does not fit with anything resembling d&d I agree, but it doesn't fit because both parts of it individually clash with d&d on their own.

We have that half because Wotc tried to pretend that player needs and gm needs could be looked at in complete isolation then they could worry about the gm after finalizing and printing the "well it's kinda useful" player half sometime down the line didn't work for 2014 and 2024 seems to be trying for it again
I've read some Fate but haven't played it, so I might be mistaken, but don't players have the ability to resist a compel in Fate as long as they have a fate point to spend? You can see something similar in the DMG chase rules where a player can spend Inspiration to undo a complication. I think I’m going to try extending this use of Inspiration to all sorts of complications that might arise in play. On the other hand, in D&D, I wouldn't want to tell a player they had to do a certain thing in response to a complication if they were out of Inspiration. In that case, the PC has to deal with the complication in some way, and Inspiration operates as an incentive for the player to choose to do so in a way that’s consistent with the PC’s personal characteristics (TIBF). I also like to use a combination of race, class, background, and alignment as a sixth “High Concept” category.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I've read some Fate but haven't played it, so I might be mistaken, but don't players have the ability to resist a compel in Fate as long as they have a fate point to spend? You can see something similar in the DMG chase rules where a player can spend Inspiration to undo a complication. I think I’m going to try extending this use of Inspiration to all sorts of complications that might arise in play. On the other hand, in D&D, I wouldn't want to tell a player they had to do a certain thing in response to a complication if they were out of Inspiration. In that case, the PC has to deal with the complication in some way, and Inspiration operates as an incentive for the player to choose to do so in a way that’s consistent with the PC’s personal characteristics (TIBF). I also like to use a combination of race, class, background, and alignment as a sixth “High Concept” category.
Yea kinda but much deeper, Using your "don't players have the ability to resist a compel in Fate as long as they have a fate point to spend?" question, the GM (or any player) could ask how they resist it & make changes to the how or even just call BS & potentially leave the player with a new problem. The reason it works with aspects is because of the fate fractal where anything and everything can be an aspect(objects actions descriptive elements adverbs etc). Trying to staple either side of the (self)compel/declaration mechanic onto d20/d&d style gameplay does not work well because the game is built for a radically different style of playloop. BIFTs are mainly just an excuse to be a wangrod & use a badly designed rule that should never have been included as a shield if called out when doing so. It's not just the compel that can be resisted, the very world itself as well as the past & future can be modified & appended to. The two are really not nicely compatible.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
We've never used BIFTs in our games nor have we ever used Inspiration. We treat alignment as an optional vague descriptor with no mechanical effects.
Late reaction, but: whaaaaaa?

Inspiration gives an average +5 bonus to a roll. Why would you not use it?

I'm about to crank up the Inspiration in my game by raising the cap from 1 to =Level. Of course, that means the opponents will be using a lot more Advantage, and PCs with strong FAITB will be able to regain their Inspiration more often.

FitzTheRuke

Legend

I'm about to crank up the Inspiration in my game by raising the cap from 1 to =Level. Of course, that means the opponents will be using a lot more Advantage, and PCs with strong FAITB will be able to regain their Inspiration more often.

My group never uses Inspiration either. It's not that we choose to leave it out of the game; it's that no one EVER remembers it exists. Not the DMs, not the players. And I've even made cards to try to fix that!

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic

I don't use it in my games either for a few reasons(in no particular order):
  • The mechanic to use itis janky & gets defaulted to retcon advantage but only after seeing a bad roll & that makes it much more powerful than just average +5ish
  • (dis)advantage just cancels the other & doesn't stack when multiple things should make a roll easier or harder
  • I don't like the way it makes me look like I'm playing favorites as a GM because some players just contribute more that might justify than others
  • I get tired of hearing "can I get inspiration for that" & it's not fair to less pushy players or I need to be the bad guy saying no a lot
  • Some players obviously don't track it & always seem to have it even when I made a deliberate choice not to award it through the campaign. I as GM don't want to track their inspiration.

Vael

Legend
I tried playtesting the "Gain Inspiration on a Nat 1" and "goes away after a long rest" rules, used poker chips as reminders and finally found players were eager to use their Inspiration and try to gain it. I also grant inspiration on "playing up a Flaw to cause complications (IE. similar to a Fate self compel)" and "amused the DM". Also, the player that recaps the previous session gets to start with Inspiration.

Apologies for the late reaction to your reaction.

Our approach is that if you want Advantage on a roll then you need to consider what you can to do get it. None of the ways to acquire Inspiration seemed to us to be worth the word count in the book or our brainspace at the table.

Remove ads