Hawk the Slayer

Brown Jenkin

First Post
I aknowlege HtS is an awful movie, so awful it falls into the good category. That is why I bought it on DVD a couple of weeks ago. Now if they would release the other awsomely bad (good) sword and sorcery movie of that era the 1982 movie Sorceress.

Hawk the Slayer is a charmingly bad film. Supposedly the one-handed crossbowman went on to act in Days of Our Lives.

I really do love cheesy 80s Sword & Sorcery flicks.

Mycanid

First Post
Hey there Quasqueton-

[BTW, I think your polls are % wise the most interesting.]

Are you sure they were penny loafers? :D I could have sworn they were the cheap sort of low moccasins that were made out of the thin leatherlike material you sometimes saw on the rock musicians of the early 80's... You sure they were penny loafers?

But as to your other things, don't sweat it too much. It ain't easy being a mod, whether in here or elsewhere. To consistently be a representative of the an "unbiased", totally fair dispensation of "justice" or fair play of some sort is real hard ... I wouldn't want the job.

As for the crossbowman going on to act in soap operas ... err ... I was so thrown for a loop by that I had to shake my head clear of the "HUH?!?!" dust floating around it. The Russians' have a charming folk saying: "To be hit by a dusty bag from around the corner." That's exactly what it felt like when I read this remark....

By the way, another addition of the actor array in recent movie updates. When Crow first appears on the scene he meets up with two thugs ... one is a very respectably skilled bowman and the other is his smoothtalking friend who engages unsuspecting wandering archer victim with his friendly conversation and offers the victim an archery contest with his fellow thug. Then, while counting down the contest he stabs the victim with his knife.

ANYwho ... this actor was Sir Philip Lucas in the A&E 6 hour release of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice novel. So, I guess he's still doing things. And by the way, for those who did not see that admirable version (my personal favorite) he behaves in that movie very similiarly as he did in HTS..... ;)

dvvega

Explorer
Actually some of the actors have popped up in other things as well ... since I loved Hawk The Slayer as a child I watched it a lot and the actors' faces stuck in my head. So I see them everywhere.

Obviously Jack Palance is recognisable anywhere.

The ruffian Hawk slays at the start is now a detective in an English series, however I can't remember his name nor the series name ... just recognise the face.

The giant was stereotyped since he was the cyclops in Krull if I remember correctly.

The guy who plays the crossbowman (Morgan Sheppard) appeared in Babylon 5 as multiple roles, one of them being the soul hunter, another was G'Kar's uncle G'Sten. He has appeared in heaps of sci-fi series like Sea Quest as well. And since my wife loves Charmed and we've recently purchased the series, I remember him being in there as well (the guy who played Marcus Cole from B5 also makes an appearance as a bit of extra trivia).

And if you recognise him ... Hawke ... is ... dum de dum!!! Jack's father on Lost.

What I really was disappointed was that the ending of Hawk the Slayer clearly left it open for a follow up movie.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
dvvega said:
What I really was disappointed was that the ending of Hawk the Slayer clearly left it open for a follow up movie.

Clearly Hollywood has been remiss. If they can make D&D2 surely they can make Hawk The Slayer 2: Electric Boogaloo

Remove ads